Official Review: Magic Blue Rocks by April Shprintz

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
MsH2k
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Official Review: Magic Blue Rocks by April Shprintz

Post by MsH2k »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Magic Blue Rocks" by April Shprintz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

“Work smarter, not harder.” No doubt, you have heard that mantra. Entrepreneur and author April Shprintz claims that working neither harder nor smarter builds success. Creator of The Generosity Culture, Shprintz believes in attaining goals by investing in people and acknowledging their unique abilities.

In Magic Blue Rocks: The Secret to Doing Anything, April Shprintz shares six stories from her life that demonstrate the incredible power of believing in yourself and the indomitable power of having someone else believe in you. These engaging snapshots of the author’s life begin with her first business venture at age six: the wildly successful but short-lived purveying of the titular magic blue rocks.

Growing up, Shprintz lacked both money and a supportive home environment, but she knew her life would not always be one of lack. In these narratives, the author reveals the skills she has honed to achieve goals in her childhood pursuits, her military career, and the business world. The magic factor is not drive or determination, although the author has an abundant amount of those traits. The key is believing in oneself and in others. The stories are honest, humorous, and humble, and at the end of each chapter, Shprintz shares her advice based on the lessons she learned.

What I like most about this book is the unpretentious writing. The author carefully chooses her words and her experiences, but there is nothing superficial about the interaction. Similarly, the book is impeccably presented and exceptionally well edited, but it reads so easily that it feels like the stories are random events Shprintz chose that just happened to fit together perfectly. Through the stories of someone who plans well, works hard, and embraces unforeseen obstacles, the chapters highlight the skills necessary for teams and individuals to achieve their goals.

One of my favorite stories was in the chapter “Gettin’ Out Of Dodge.” Shprintz had failed a voice audition for an entry-level U.S. Air Force position she really wanted. (After getting to know the author through these accounts, the last part of the prior sentence is redundant. She rarely did anything she didn't feel passionately about, and she expected every endeavor to end in success.) While still reeling from this disappointment, she received a call asking if she would help another recruit who was anxious about the same audition process. I'm quite certain my initial response would not have been as gracious, but Shprintz opted to help the fellow recruit. Her benevolence was admirable, but more than that, her actions set in motion a series of events that resulted in her not only getting that entry-level position but enjoying a distinguished Air Force career in her desired field. I was inspired by the author’s character displayed throughout the chapters.

Shprintz has surely infused her motivational magic into this text. I gladly rate Magic Blue Rocks 4 out of 4 stars. It is a well-crafted book that effortlessly showcases the author’s philosophy of success. There is absolutely nothing that I dislike about this read. I recommend it to anyone who enjoys encouraging stories—readers pre-teen through adult will find inspiration in these pages. I also suggest this book to people who interact with highly motivated youngsters (especially girls); it may give them a glimpse into how to support these young gems.

Magic Blue Rocks
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
Sou Hi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sou-hi.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by Sou Hi »

Thanks for your meaningful review. Confidence and generosity are two of the most important aspects when it comes to achieving success. The author's personal experiences have showed us how she was able to overcome her own ego and pursuit her goal.
Heidadela
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidadela.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Heidadela »

This sounds like a story of determination. Most times our circumstances tie us down, they limit us and rob us of the personal belief in our capability. I am glad that the author chose to rise above all that so as to carve her niche in life. I would love to read her story, thanks to your amazing, insightful review. Congratulations.
MsH2k
Currently Reading:

Post by MsH2k »

Sou Hi wrote: 11 Mar 2021, 04:50 Thanks for your meaningful review. Confidence and generosity are two of the most important aspects when it comes to achieving success. The author's personal experiences have showed us how she was able to overcome her own ego and pursuit her goal.
The author’s stories were truly engaging and illustrated these two aspects well. Thank you for your comment, Sou Hi.
Rosa Parks
MsH2k
Currently Reading:

Post by MsH2k »

Heidadela wrote: 11 Mar 2021, 13:34 This sounds like a story of determination. Most times our circumstances tie us down, they limit us and rob us of the personal belief in our capability. I am glad that the author chose to rise above all that so as to carve her niche in life. I would love to read her story, thanks to your amazing, insightful review. Congratulations.
The author’s stories not only show her determination, but they also reflect the importance of the people in her life who believed in her. I hope you decide to check out this book. Thank you for your comment.
Rosa Parks
Heidadela
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidadela.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Heidadela »

MsH2k wrote: 12 Mar 2021, 01:24
Heidadela wrote: 11 Mar 2021, 13:34 This sounds like a story of determination. Most times our circumstances tie us down, they limit us and rob us of the personal belief in our capability. I am glad that the author chose to rise above all that so as to carve her niche in life. I would love to read her story, thanks to your amazing, insightful review. Congratulations.
The author’s stories not only show her determination, but they also reflect the importance of the people in her life who believed in her. I hope you decide to check out this book. Thank you for your comment.
Definitely I will when I come across it. You are welcome and thanks for the reply.
Jennifer Aldo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-aldo.html
Latest Review: War Tower by Joseph Leo DeCelle

Post by Jennifer Aldo »

Very inspiring. Thanks for your review. Would definitely love to read.
Joy Phill
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joy-phill.html
Latest Review: Megan and the Broken Snowflake Factory by Karla Ridpath

Post by Joy Phill »

I agree with the author's sentiments. Not believing in oneself is the first step towards failure. Thanks for a great review.
MsH2k
Currently Reading:

Post by MsH2k »

Jennifer Aldo wrote: 12 Mar 2021, 06:11 Very inspiring. Thanks for your review. Would definitely love to read.
I hope you get the chance to check it out. Thank you for stopping by!
Rosa Parks
MsH2k
Currently Reading:

Post by MsH2k »

Joy Phill wrote: 12 Mar 2021, 06:14 I agree with the author's sentiments. Not believing in oneself is the first step towards failure. Thanks for a great review.
Yes, belief is definitely a magical component. Thank you for your visit and your comment.
Rosa Parks
Chizioboli
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chizioboli.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is Not What You Think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by Chizioboli »

If you believe, you can achieve it! A very insightful and thought provoking book this is. Thank you for the great review
MsH2k
Currently Reading:

Post by MsH2k »

Chizioboli wrote: 13 Mar 2021, 05:32 If you believe, you can achieve it! A very insightful and thought provoking book this is. Thank you for the great review
It definitely is an insightful book. I like how the author shows belief as being multidirectional: you both give and receive it for yourself and others.
Thank you for stopping by to read my review. I appreciate your comment.
Rosa Parks
Bookishkrish24
Currently Reading: From Drift to SHIFT
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookishkrish24.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Bookishkrish24 »

I loved the snapshot format of the book. Eager to read it. Thanks for a wonderful review.
MsH2k
Currently Reading:

Post by MsH2k »

Bookishkrish24 wrote: 14 Mar 2021, 22:30 I loved the snapshot format of the book. Eager to read it. Thanks for a wonderful review.
Being able to zoom in and out of different parts of the author’s life gave a comprehensive view of key experiences while keeping the pace of the book fast and engaging. Thank you for your comment. Enjoy the read!
Rosa Parks
SamaylaM
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samaylam.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by SamaylaM »

It's incredible to think that the author lacked money and a supportive home environment and yet achieved goals in her military career and the business world. I'd for sure like to know more about this book. Thank you for putting up such an eloquently written review!

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”