Official Review: Decode yourSELF by Kavetha Velavan

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
bruin
Currently Reading: Cracking the Genome
Bookshelf Size: 216
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bruin.html
Latest Review: Your Next Big Idea by Samuel Sanders

Official Review: Decode yourSELF by Kavetha Velavan

Post by bruin »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Decode yourSELF" by Kavetha Velavan.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Decode Yourself by Kavetha is a self-help guide for practicing how to be in-tune with your mind, body, and soul to achieve a peaceful and fulfilling life. The book is organized into comprehensive sections about meditation, yoga, massage, aging, nutrition, and breathing techniques to improve your health. Kavetha refers to many authors, religions, science, and different cultures to write about a wide variety of techniques to choose from. “Enrich your life with your own flavor, we are not here to just follow.”

The section on meditation will teach you how to focus on the present moment and not get distracted by your thoughts. It was interesting to learn that listening to different sound frequencies and tones affects your brain and hormone production. Specific breathing methods will improve circulation, detoxification, stimulation of the endocrine and nervous system, build upper body strength, and improve mental clarity. What makes this guide different from other self-help books is that the author explains the purpose and benefits of every technique she introduces. She does not have a strict plan to follow. She wants you to learn what every method does to your mind, body, and soul so that you are well-informed to customize a routine that will work best in your own life.

The book includes illustrations, photographs, and diagrams of the different techniques that she teaches. There are stick-figured drawings of yoga poses that are difficult to understand if you have never tried yoga before. Kavetha includes step-by-step instructions for every pose, but it would be better if there were photographs of someone doing the poses or detailed drawings to learn proper form. I recommend this book to those who are interested in learning about holistic healing and mindfulness techniques that help relieve anxiety, anger, and stress.

What I liked most about the book are the sections on hand gestures, sound vibrations, and emotional freedom tapping techniques because I have not come across a yoga or meditation book that also includes these methods. I enjoyed learning the origin, meaning, and effects of adding this to your practice. The detailed illustrations of the hand gestures are easy to follow. I do not recommend this book to readers who want to learn about medication or Western medicine. The methods in this book focus on natural ways to nurture your mind, body, and soul. “Whether you favor God or Science, do not limit yourself with either of those, go beyond and conquer your existence.”

I rate this book a 3 out of 4 because there are a few typos and misspelled words. I also would not rate it a 4 out of 4 because I would not recommend a reader to refer to those stick-figures to learn how to do yoga poses. I did enjoy the other illustrations and photographs, but those simple drawings were what I liked least about this book. Other than that, this guide is very informative and well-written. I plan to add many of the techniques to my self-care practices.

Decode yourSELF
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”