Official Review: Everyday Pocket Poetry by LoAnn Twedt

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Odette Chace
Favorite Book: The History of Love
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 576
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-odette-chace.html
Latest Review: Everyday Pocket Poetry by LoAnn Twedt

Official Review: Everyday Pocket Poetry by LoAnn Twedt

Post by Odette Chace »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Everyday Pocket Poetry" by LoAnn Twedt.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Everyday Pocket Poetry, by LoAnn Twedt, is a short but sweet collection of poetry divided into three parts. The “Everyday Poetry” section captures the author’s day-to-day musings. In “Seasons of the Year,” Twedt shares her observations of the changing of the seasons. The concluding section, “Poems of Faith,” contains poems inspired by the author’s Christian beliefs, some of which are suitable every day and others that are tied to the holidays. Most of the poetry in the work employs a simple rhyme scheme that lends to the lighthearted nature of the collection. However, more serious, reflective poems are in free verse. Despite its brevity, Twedt manages to explore many subjects and moods in her premier collection of poetry.

My favorite aspect of this collection is its simplicity. The poems in Everyday Pocket Poetry are relatable, easy to understand, and approachable, even to readers who don’t typically enjoy poetry. I particularly liked the opening poem “Along the Beach,” which was written in free verse. The imagery of the shells on the shore with seagulls overhead, the feel of the ocean breeze in her hair, and “sand gushing between [her] toes” brought the poem to life (loc. 90).

Unfortunately, Everyday Pocket Poetry was not without flaws. There were more than ten errors in the text, and they were very distracting. Additionally, there were a couple of instances where the author seemed to be fixated on particular words. In “Child’s Play,” the word “summer” appears three times. It is also used once each in “Pondering” and “Friends,” the poems that precede and follow “Child’s Play,” respectively. As the poems are short, it was very noticeable.

Although infrequent, it is also worth mentioning that I found some of the diction in the book questionable. For instance, in “Christmas,” Twedt writes, “All your friends, food, and programs/will be especially blessed” (loc. 486). The use of the word “programs” is not particularly poetic. Another example is in “Child’s Play.” Twedt rhymes “habiliments” with “prepubescent” (loc. 124). Habiliments is an awkward, archaic word. The rest of the language in the collection is much smoother.

Due to the grammatical errors, repeated words, and odd word choices, I award Everyday Pocket Poetry 2 out of 4 stars. While many of the flaws in the text would be insignificant on their own, collectively they make the work appear unpolished. Still, I found the work an enjoyable, relaxing read.

I would only recommend Everyday Pocket Poetry to readers who appreciate a wide variety of poetry. As a significant number of the poems are about the author’s Christian beliefs, the work is likely to attract a Christian audience. However, there are enough poems about other subjects that readers of other beliefs may also find it a worthwhile read.

Everyday Pocket Poetry
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Petruschka1
Currently Reading: India in Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-petruschka1.html
Latest Review: Watchwords (black and white) by Philip Neal Gatter

Post by Petruschka1 »

Normally I prefer lyrics to prose. However this collection of poems appeals to me. It is going on my bookshelves, ready to be read during quieter times. Thank you for your review, which I have enjoyed reading.
Odette Chace
Currently Reading:

Post by Odette Chace »

Petruschka1 wrote: 29 Mar 2021, 07:10 Normally I prefer lyrics to prose. However this collection of poems appeals to me. It is going on my bookshelves, ready to be read during quieter times. Thank you for your review, which I have enjoyed reading.
Thanks for commenting. I hope you enjoy it! :)
Mtibza eM
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mtibza-em.html
Latest Review: Am I Burned Out at Work? by Salar A. Khan MD, MBA

Post by Mtibza eM »

Thank you for sharing such a beautiful review. I enjoyed reading it.
Odette Chace
Currently Reading:

Post by Odette Chace »

Mtibza eM wrote: 08 Apr 2021, 15:30 Thank you for sharing such a beautiful review. I enjoyed reading it.
Thank you for your kind words!
tokorowwallace
Currently Reading: a war for crimson embers
Bookshelf Size: 13

Post by tokorowwallace »

I would find it difficult to read a collection of poetry specifically for review, but you did well with it! I respectfully disagree with your comments concerning word usage, as the poetic form and verse tend to be thematic and experimental, and very heavily verbal in creativity with expression, particularly expressing different forms of emotions and experiences by finding unique and particular words for any such fine articulation as an art form. I do see how one---especially in contemporary times---would find such experimental verbal usage awkward. But on early impression of your profile and bookshelf, you do seem you would be rather well-versed in a wide vocabulary yourself, so I'm sure you it was just the author's manner of usage which put you off. With that said, I can only really enjoy poetry in moods for recitation and dabbling, cannot focus on various themes and brief material in a full-book-length sustained reading. The only poet I have found consonant enough to be able to appreciate consistently so far as been the Polish poet, Wislawa Szymborska, and I only was exposed to her very emotional and personally impactful work by recommendation from someone I became close to very quickly who had an incredible instinct to read what I would like and go for. I hope to improve and build my appreciation of poetry eventually. I hope to achieve such an aim soon.

Thank you for your thoughts; they are food to consider and ponder on the purpose and vehicle of literary form. I will likely take your insights and opinions with me in further and future reading.
markodim721
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 482
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-markodim721.html
Latest Review: The Solution is Political Revolution by Jillion R Rising

Post by markodim721 »

Too bad the book contains so many errors, because I think it really has potential. Thanks for the good review.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”