Official Review: When Half of Your Heart Dies

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kirsi_78
2021 Reading Goal: 30
Currently Reading: My Living Will
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kirsi-78.html
Latest Review: The Legacy of Job's Wife by Cynthia Koelker

Official Review: When Half of Your Heart Dies

Post by Kirsi_78 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "When Half of Your Heart Dies" by Gloria Clark.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

One early morning Gloria Clark woke up into every mother’s worst nightmare. Her 28-year old son Darian had been shot and was dying. No prayer Gloria sent towards heaven during her drive to the hospital could change the outcome. Just some short moments later, her precious son was announced dead, and there was nothing she could do to fix that. It was the end of the world as she knew it. Even worse, it was the beginning of a lifelong struggle trying to deal with the pain of losing a loved child but still staying thankful and faithful to God. Will she pull through with the help of her beloved Heavenly Father? Or will she perish under the sorrow like a piece of ashes scattered into the wind?

Sadly, When Half of Your Heart Dies is a true story. And it is the story that will break the heart of every mother. I was deeply touched by the complete honesty of the author when putting her story on paper. She describes all her emotions as they vary from unforgiving anger and brutal rage to the moments of comfort mostly brought to her by dreams about her son. My heart leaped with compassion as I read how she still tried to put her faith in God every single step on her way. I was also taken aback by her burning anger and vengeful thoughts towards the person who brought this misery on their family. To conclude, the outstanding ability to express her emotions through her writing is the biggest strength of Gloria Clark and the most admirable feature of this book.

Unfortunately, what this book gained in emotion, it lacked in structure. The narrative is winding, and the book is written with such a chain of thought that it leaves the reader feeling confused and lost. In its current form, this book might be a truthful description of how irrationally a human mind can work when it is processing sorrow. However, this type of writing does not support the purpose of this book. The unstructured content, together with lengthy sentences, resulted in a somewhat disorganized outcome. When Half of Your Heart Dies was not a long read and with the length of only 58 pages fixing this issue would not be difficult. An experienced editor could mend the deficiencies in no time.

As much as I would have liked to, I could not give this book more than 2 out of 4 stars. Unfortunately, in addition to the abovementioned structural problems, this book also had numerous typos and missing commas, not to mention wordy sentences that were hard to follow. When Half of Your Heart Dies by Gloria Clark undoubtedly has some great potential to become a marvelous book. However, as stated above, it still needs some editorial work. At its best, this book could become a notable reminder about where the poor choices of one person can lead.

If this book is to undergo the suggested editorial work, I would happily recommend it as peer support to anyone who has ever lost a loved one. I would also imagine that When Half of Your Heart Dies might be a therapeutic read for people struggling with impulsive behavior. It shows a scary example of what agony one might cause to others. Maybe by preventing someone from performing such permanent fatal deeds, this book could even save a life.

When Half of Your Heart Dies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
2021 Reading Goal: 60
Currently Reading: Mythical Creatures and Magical Beasts
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Blood Vengeance by Charles Alexander

Post by NetMassimo »

Coping with such heartbreaking tragedy seems really impossible, so it's no surprise that Gloria Clark went on an emotional rollercoaster. Maybe some help from a professional writer might help her in structuring the book better. Thank you for your honest review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Joy Phill
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joy-phill.html
Latest Review: Countess Tyrone And The Earls by may Cassidy

Post by Joy Phill »

I would really love to read about her coping strategy. I hope the errors are fixed. Thanks for an honest review.
Naaya123
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-naaya123.html
Latest Review: Hard Journey of the Heart: Jesse's Story by Mark Zullo

Post by Naaya123 »

I think I'll pass, this doesn't seem like a book I'd enjoy. Thank you for the great review though!
MsH2k
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading: Compass
Bookshelf Size: 234
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Poetically Conscious by AR Brown

Post by MsH2k »

I hope putting her thoughts on paper helped the author to mend from such a terrible experience. Your review was wonderful, Kirsi_78. Thank you for your honest take.
"If you can't feed a hundred people, then feed just one."
Mother Teresa
Kirsi_78

Post by Kirsi_78 »

NetMassimo wrote: 07 Mar 2021, 08:41 Coping with such heartbreaking tragedy seems really impossible, so it's no surprise that Gloria Clark went on an emotional rollercoaster. Maybe some help from a professional writer might help her in structuring the book better. Thank you for your honest review!
You are right, I think it would be just as impossible to any of us to cope with such a horrible loss. Thanks for reading and commenting!
Kirsi_78

Post by Kirsi_78 »

Joy Phill wrote: 07 Mar 2021, 15:15 I would really love to read about her coping strategy. I hope the errors are fixed. Thanks for an honest review.
Thanks for stopping by!
Kirsi_78

Post by Kirsi_78 »

Naaya123 wrote: 07 Mar 2021, 16:16 I think I'll pass, this doesn't seem like a book I'd enjoy. Thank you for the great review though!
This is a rather serious book indeed. Thanks for your kind words!
Kirsi_78

Post by Kirsi_78 »

MsH2k wrote: 08 Mar 2021, 02:07 I hope putting her thoughts on paper helped the author to mend from such a terrible experience. Your review was wonderful, Kirsi_78. Thank you for your honest take.
Let’s hope so. There’s probably no easy way out from such a horrible loss, thought.

Thank you for reading and for your encouraging words :)
AvidBibliophile
Currently Reading: The Keeper of Happy Endings
Bookshelf Size: 428
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avidbibliophile.html
Latest Review: The Tale of Meadow Grove by Lynn D. Wheeler

Post by AvidBibliophile »

What a horrifically tragic and traumatic fatality — a pain no parent should ever have to face. I have great respect for any author who has the strength and willpower to begin penning such a book. Perhaps the editorial issues will be corrected and addressed, so that others may get a chance to read the very best version of this publication. Thank you for your honest analysis!
Heidadela
2021 Reading Goal: 56
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidadela.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Heidadela »

The story is heartbreaking. It is the dream of every parent that their child will one day bury the parent, not the other way around. Indeed half of a mother's heart dies with her child. I am glad to know that she still remained faithful despite the loss. Thank you for an amazing review.
Kirsi_78

Post by Kirsi_78 »

AvidBibliophile wrote: 10 Mar 2021, 20:00 What a horrifically tragic and traumatic fatality — a pain no parent should ever have to face. I have great respect for any author who has the strength and willpower to begin penning such a book. Perhaps the editorial issues will be corrected and addressed, so that others may get a chance to read the very best version of this publication. Thank you for your honest analysis!
I hope writing this book worked as a therapy for the author. But you are right, it truly takes a lot of strength to write such a book. Thanks for reading and commenting!
Kirsi_78

Post by Kirsi_78 »

Heidadela wrote: 10 Mar 2021, 22:14 The story is heartbreaking. It is the dream of every parent that their child will one day bury the parent, not the other way around. Indeed half of a mother's heart dies with her child. I am glad to know that she still remained faithful despite the loss. Thank you for an amazing review.
Yes indeed, it should never be the other way around 😢 thanks for taking the time to read and comment!
Heidadela
2021 Reading Goal: 56
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidadela.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Heidadela »

Kirsi_78 wrote: 12 Mar 2021, 02:17
Heidadela wrote: 10 Mar 2021, 22:14 The story is heartbreaking. It is the dream of every parent that their child will one day bury the parent, not the other way around. Indeed half of a mother's heart dies with her child. I am glad to know that she still remained faithful despite the loss. Thank you for an amazing review.
Yes indeed, it should never be the other way around 😢 thanks for taking the time to read and comment!
You are welcome!

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”