Official Review: The farm by Frans Bijsterveld

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Saint Bruno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saint-bruno.html
Latest Review: The vampires missing cape by Steve Stables
fav_author_id: 2484

Official Review: The farm by Frans Bijsterveld

Post by Saint Bruno »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The farm" by Frans Bijsterveld.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The farm by Frans Bijsterveld is a non-fiction book about the author's family roots. Mr. Bijsterveld anchors his story on the life of his great-grandmother, Anna Hazelhurst. Anna's father, João Albasini, had endured the deadly sea voyage with his father from Portugal to Mozambique. He eventually settled in South Africa, where Anna was born in 1874. In 1895, she married James 'Jim' Hazelhurst, and they went on to have four children, which included the author's grandmother. When their son turned 13, Anna traveled to England with her children to enroll him in a boarding school, but they couldn't make it back to Africa due to World War I. While still in England, she got the sad news of her husband's death. So in 1916, Anna returned to their home in Selukwe, Southern Rhodesia, with her children to develop their farm. She completed their farmhouse and began commercial operations in it. Anna was a very respected woman who went through a lot to provide for her family, giving them memories they would treasure through generations.

This book is a product of thorough research and exciting storytelling skills. What I like the most about this book is that it contains lots of documents and pictures which corroborate the author's story. Also, I was able to put faces to the names mentioned in the book through the photos, which made the book more engaging.

Another aspect of this book I liked is that it brought back memories of how life used to be, especially in Africa. I also enjoyed the history lessons in the book and learned a lot about colonialism in Africa. The author's insights into the South African Boer War and the transportation business in Africa at that time are also commendable.

Furthermore, the author's writing style makes his narrations easy to follow. And the family tree diagram he included helped me to know who was who. However, I didn't enjoy the organization of some of the pictures in the book. In some cases, there would be more than three photos in one frame, which made the pictures a bit unclear at first glance. I didn't enjoy having to zoom in to understand them.

Overall, my reading experience was a fascinating one. The book is exceptionally edited and without any errors. Due to the issue I mentioned above, I am reluctantly taking a star off its rating. But considering the many other points going for the book, it deserves more than two stars. Therefore, I rate The farm 3 out of 4 stars. I recommend it to readers who enjoy historical non-fiction stories, especially those interested in learning about the challenges faced by European pioneers in Africa.

The farm
View: on Bookshelves
Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala
Favorite Book: Happy Healing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 301
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nqobile-mashinini-tshabalala.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Post by Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala »

I enjoy reading about characters and seeing them as well. Books with pictures make it that much more interesting for me. Great review.
Documented history is a gift from the past to the future! - NqobileM
zainherb
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 130
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zainherb.html
Latest Review: Legacy by Chris Coppel

Post by zainherb »

I love books about Africa during colonialism. Maybe I will give it a try.
Great review!
:techie-reference:
Latest Review: Legacy by Chris Coppel
RHD
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rhd.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by RHD »

This is quite the story. It's amazing to know that some families can trace their descendants through centuries. Good job on the review, Saint Bruno!
shravsi
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Crime and Punishment
Bookshelf Size: 115
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shravsi.html
Latest Review: Sam the Chosen by Wally Jones

Post by shravsi »

A fascinating book. You have written a well-descriptive review.
PeterRabitt20
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Verity
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peterrabitt20.html
Latest Review: The Power Of Our Inner Gremlins by Suzanne Daplyn

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

I like having enough photos in books. It is important that they are clear. Also, the story has an interesting plot, going to Africa from Europe and then not being able to go back due to war. This is quite the adventure. Thanks for your review.
Chizioboli
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chizioboli.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is Not What You Think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by Chizioboli »

Your book review gave me an aha moment...thank you for this amazing and flawless review
Saint Bruno
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saint-bruno.html
Latest Review: The vampires missing cape by Steve Stables
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Saint Bruno »

zainherb wrote: 01 Mar 2021, 02:57 I love books about Africa during colonialism. Maybe I will give it a try.
Great review!
RHD wrote: 01 Mar 2021, 04:11 This is quite the story. It's amazing to know that some families can trace their descendants through centuries. Good job on the review, Saint Bruno!
Nqobile771 wrote: 01 Mar 2021, 01:19 I enjoy reading about characters and seeing them as well. Books with pictures make it that much more interesting for me. Great review.
shravsi wrote: 01 Mar 2021, 04:40 A fascinating book. You have written a well-descriptive review.
PeterRabitt20 wrote: 01 Mar 2021, 11:22 I like having enough photos in books. It is important that they are clear. Also, the story has an interesting plot, going to Africa from Europe and then not being able to go back due to war. This is quite the adventure. Thanks for your review.
Chizioboli wrote: 01 Mar 2021, 17:21 Your book review gave me an aha moment...thank you for this amazing and flawless review
Thanks a lot for finding time to read and comment on my review.
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Post by Ellylion »

It's so interesting to learn more about the history of Africa! I would definitely read this book, thank you for this amazing review! :)
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

I think pictures added to autobiographies really enhance the overall story. This sounds like one that I would enjoy. Great review!
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

I have read many memoirs, and the photos are always a highlight as they bring the author to life. This story intrigues me since I grew up on a farm. The historical tidbits are an added bonus. Thanks for the fascinating recommendation. This looks good!!
Sou Hi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sou-hi.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by Sou Hi »

Thanks for your informative review. The experiences of the author's great-grandmother, Anna Hazelhurst, sounds interesting. With the amount of information and photos provided, this book will serve as a historical material for those who like to know about life in Africa.
smolbird
Favorite Author: Rick Riordan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 264
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smolbird.html
Latest Review: Pariah by Robert C. Swetz
fav_author_id: 2909

Post by smolbird »

I like the idea of being able to put a face on the person you are reading about. Thank you for your detailed review.
"It does not do well to dwell on dreams and forget to live." - Albus Dumbledore
Josephe-Anne
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 488
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-josephe-anne.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
fav_author_id: 1746

Post by Josephe-Anne »

This sounds like a great book about family history. I like that the author actually went back several generations to learn about his ancestors' migration.

Thank you for a well-written review.
:tiphat: :techie-studyingbrown:
"A house without books is like a room without windows." :techie-studyinggray:
― Horace Mann
Kennedy NC
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kennedy-nc.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Kennedy NC »

It is interesting that one can trace his roots all the way down to the influence of his grandmother. Great review.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”