Review by Mvictoria -- Create the Life You Want

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mvictoria
2021 Reading Goal: 35
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mvictoria.html
Latest Review: In Hindsight by Sharon Bonanno and Lisa Scott

Review by Mvictoria -- Create the Life You Want

Post by Mvictoria »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Create the Life You Want" by Raymond P. Gerson.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In his book, Create the Life You Want, Raymond P. Gerson describes four main goals for life and how to actualize them. The first goal in life is to have a career, and not just any job, but a successful, rewarding one. Gerson proposes that to attain your dream career, you may have to make one. He says you can do this by focusing on your unique gifts and talents. He goes on to describe how to take those talents and turn them into a career.

The second goal in life is purpose. He encourages readers to focus on helping others as a way to help themselves. By focusing on how you're fulfilling others' needs, you will overcome fear and self-doubt and find your purpose. The author also discusses the importance of a spiritual purpose. The third goal is a relationship. As he found love at age 63, Gerson says it's never too late to find your mate. He also believes that love takes work and "continuous nurturing." Finally, our goal is to contribute to others. Gerson thinks that becoming a mentor and sharing your successes and failures will help others and be personally fulfilling.

This was a concise but very inspirational self-help book. It begins with the idea of creation and attraction. These themes are present throughout the book. We "create" our dream job and "attract" a good relationship. The author encourages us to learn from the experiences of others. He shares some of his experiences and uses quotes from famous inspirational speakers and writers like Plato and Thoreau. I felt like having these combined elements tremendously added to the book. This book made me feel as though I could overcome some of my negative self-doubts and achieve the life for which I've been longing.

I did have some minor issues with the book. At one point, it felt like very circular logic was being used to overcome fear. Gerson encourages small steps toward fear in order to overcome it, and it felt like he was saying, "overcome fear by overcoming fear." When he moved on to discuss how we can push through our fears by focusing on our impacts on others, I was more on board with what he was saying. The only other problem I had was that he talks extensively about his career evolution in the relationship section, which I felt would be better in the career section. Overall, I didn't think that these problems were enough to take away a star from this book, but I did want to mention them.

I found no errors in this book and can assume it was professionally edited. It is written simply, with lots of emphasis on motivational quotes and stories. The effect this book had on me was actually quite profound. I would recommend this book to anyone feeling a little lost in any one of the four areas. Because the scope of the book is so broad, I feel it has a wide audience. Gerson does talk about the importance of spirituality and believing in a "Higher Power" that loves us unconditionally. For that reason, I would not recommend this book to strict non-believers. This book is not spiritual but does mention spirituality and prayer frequently. Because I believe this book had an overwhelmingly positive influence on me, and because I struggled to find issues with the book itself, I have chosen to rate Create the Life You Want four out of four stars.

Create the Life You Want
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Upeksha
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-upeksha.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Upeksha »

This sounds like a very inspirational book. Even though this is not among my usual types, I'd like to give this book a try, soon. Thanks for your insightful review!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”