Official Review: God Bless Our Divided America

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mindi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 103
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mindi.html
Latest Review: God Bless Our Divided America by David W. Marshall

Official Review: God Bless Our Divided America

Post by Mindi »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "God Bless Our Divided America" by David W. Marshall.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

God Bless Our Divided America: Unity, Politics, and History from a Biblical Perspective is an interesting book written by David W. Marshall. In his very informative thoughts, he tells about the many ways that division exists in our country and that, biblically, our country and our churches need to ensure that the historical pattern of division does not continue.

Marshall discusses how, throughout history, divisions among race, religion, class and other various groups have repeated themselves. He discusses many of the viewpoints and reasons that have led to much of the division and how churches, where we should expect the most unity, can even bring about dividing ideas. He explains that, as the body of Christ, we need to promote a more unifying spirit and recognize the superiority that exists among certain groups and individuals. Social issues make up the majority of the division in the church, and biblically, we are called to ensure that our actions are not divisive. As Christians who desire unity among our people, we need to stand for true patriotism and make sure that social injustice is demolished. Throughout the book, Marshall also discusses many people throughout history who were great leaders and promoted unity. However, as a nation, we need to continue the actions of those leaders in order to stop history from repeating itself.

One particular point that I agreed with was early in the book when Marshall stated that before we can promote unity, we need to heal our relationship with God himself. Without a true love of God and understanding of his expectations of us, we will not understand the importance of closing off social and racial barriers that are so rampant in our country. It was also powerful reading about the many ways that history has been such an important part of our present circumstances. Many people are not willing to stop the toxic patterns that have circled throughout the years.

I really admire the strong biblical standpoint that Marshall takes in this book. Instead of just saying that we need to do things a certain way, he traces it all back to the original One who created the spirit of love and unity in the first place. Marshall mentions that whoever loves God should also love his brothers and sisters, regardless of class, religion, race, and politics. He says that we don't always have to agree with a person's viewpoints, but we are called to create a spirit of unity among all of God's people.

This is a very powerful book of true thoughts and historical events. It will open the eyes of the reader to the reasons behind our country's divisive tendencies.

The book is very well-edited. I saw very few grammatical issues. I don't have any negative thoughts about this book. I am rating it 4 out of 4 stars. I definitely recommend this book to anyone who wants to see more patriotism and less division among Americans.

God Bless Our Divided America
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
cd20
2021 Reading Goal: 150
Favorite Book: Hope Between the Pages
Currently Reading: The Legacy of Job's Wife
Bookshelf Size: 805
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cd20.html
Latest Review: There's a Rooster in My Bathroom! by Trish Ostroski
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by cd20 »

This sounds like such a timely book! It seems like people are divisive over everything! I love that the author gives reasons that have led to the divisions and ways that we can promote unity. Starting with our own relationship with God. Thank you for your informative review.
Real life is dreadfully tedious, the way it interrupts reading. -Things We Didn't Say by Amy Lynn Green

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”