Official Review: FANNY by David by David Unknown

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Rosemary Wright
Bookshelves Moderator
2021 Reading Goal: 50
Favorite Author: Sydney Sheldon
Favorite Book: Spanky
Currently Reading: Culture Man
Bookshelf Size: 612
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-wright.html
Latest Review: FANNY by David by David Unknown
Reading Device: Android

Official Review: FANNY by David by David Unknown

Post by Rosemary Wright »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "FANNY by David" by David Unknown.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

FANNY by David, by David Unknown, is a true-life story about the author. David was being used by his family. He felt trapped since he was the only one taking care of his elderly and sick parents, despite having eight siblings. Wanting to flee to the furthest place from home, he plotted his escape. He found employment, as a teacher, at a college in China and soon enough left America. Relocating to a new place with a strange language and culture, David tried to find peace and satisfaction in China. Alas, he soon met a crafty Chinese woman, and before he knew it, he was in a marriage he never envisaged.

In spite of David's unsatisfying marriage, he continued to seek peace and comfort, concentrating on his job. One day, he met a young woman again, who was his student four years ago, and there was a ray of light in his life. He soon found love and became happy. However, life had an unpleasant surprise for him. Would David be able to free himself from his wily wife? Would the inevitable allow him to enjoy a lifetime of love and happiness?

Exploring chiefly the themes of true love, sacrifice, and courage in times of ill health, this book is quite interesting and eye-opening. Having happy and sad moments, it's fascinating and suspenseful. The author included the past events in his life in an engaging manner, telling about his childhood, parents, siblings, relocating to China, jobs, and so forth. As I read, I wanted to know more.

What I like most about the book is how the author tells about Chinese culture and China's economy, including the dating attitudes and marriage expectations of the Chinese people. While telling his story, David examines "family belonging," defining rational choice theory and relating it to his situation. Also, he analyses "unfair judgmental societal norms" and racism. All these and more spice up the book and make it unique. In addition, the author's descriptions and characters are vivid. He was strong on narrative, and I could relate to his story.

Nonetheless, the closure of the book seems rushed. I think that the author should have added more pages and elaborate on what happened after he and Fanny left the hospital in Chicago. Anyway, he still succeeded in telling his story in a satisfactory way. Furthermore, the book has some explicit sex scenes, which are kind of hot. Readers who don't like books with such scenes may want to skip it.

Altogether, I rate FANNY by David 3 out of 4 stars because it's intriguing and enlightening. I would have been glad to give it 4 stars, but I saw some grammar errors and typos, which I couldn't ignore. For example, there are misspelled words and punctuation errors. It should go through a second round of editing to clean it. I recommend it to non-fiction lovers, who enjoy true stories about love. Besides, it'll be a good read for anyone who feels suffocated by family members and wants a way out to have a better life.

FANNY by David
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes
eumoire
Currently Reading: Little Women
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eumoire.html
Latest Review: Finding A Job in Tough Times by Dr. Tim Johnson

Post by eumoire »

The book seems interesting but it's probably not the kind I'll pick up. Nonetheless, good review. It's detailed but still leaves things out for the potential readers.
“She preferred imaginary heroes to real ones, because when tired of them, the former could be shut up in the tin kitchen till called for, and the latter were less manageable.”
― Louisa May Alcott, Little Women
Suzer6440 xyz
2021 Reading Goal: 25
Favorite Book: The Girl Who Lived
Currently Reading: Waves Break (on Unknown Shores)
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-suzer6440-xyz.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by Suzer6440 xyz »

I’m starting to really enjoy these kind of books. This review was informational And helpful. I’m on the fence about reading but am going to let it sit on my bookshelf anyway...
Yvonne Monique
2021 Reading Goal: 35
Favorite Book: To Sleep in a Sea of Stars
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yvonne-monique.html
Latest Review: The crew of the HST DARČEK by Robert Marsolais

Post by Yvonne Monique »

Chinese culture is intriguing and the author is probably a great source of information on this subject. This is not a book I would pick up at first sight, but your review made it sound very interesting.
Jenniferg_1105
2021 Reading Goal: 20
Currently Reading: A Dream For Peace
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jenniferg-1105.html
Latest Review: Soul Seeker by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Jenniferg_1105 »

This man sounds like he had a complicated life. His family making him want to relocate to another country is sad. It is hard when you have no support. Learning about another culture is always interesting.
“Isn’t it nice to think that tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it yet?” — L. M. Montgomery

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”