Official Review: set yourself free by Lindsay Hay

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Nisha Ward
Previous Member of the Month
2021 Reading Goal: 50
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 261
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: What is priest Nation, The Seed, and the H5G by Herbert Scholes
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Official Review: set yourself free by Lindsay Hay

Post by Nisha Ward »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "set yourself free" by Lindsay Hay.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Reader, I’m not really a finance kind of gal. Math is one thing, but when words like principal and interest and deduction start to pop up? That’s when you start to lose me.

That being said, I still had some interest in Lindsay Hay’s Set Yourself Free: A Kiwi’s Guide to Financial Success. Part self-help book, part guide to the property investment arena in New Zealand, it’s a rather short book. In its pages, you’ll find Hay’s thoughts on how attitudes and behaviours affect one’s success in life, as well as his own personal plan for making money through property investment and rentals.

I decided to give the book 2 out of 4 stars for two reasons, the first being the errors I found. While they aren’t major errors, they are many, affecting how easily the book can be read. In the case of a book that purports to give financially enriching advice, this tended to work against it because it showed a lack of careful editing on the editor’s part. Given the author’s advice regarding experts and surrounding yourself with them, this reflects poorly on him.

The second star also stemmed from the mechanics of the book, as often the author came off as condescending and more than a little rough. As a reader, how Hay speaks of those he believes are not as smart as he is with his investments was completely unappealing to me. It turned me away from the book several times, making it difficult to finish despite the rather short page count. Moreover, it made it difficult to take his advice to heart, given that his way of doing things seemed to be more of a state of luck than anything else.

That being said, this second reason is completely personal. I understand that others may not find his tone to be as abrasive as I do, and I encourage those readers to pick the book up. After all, it does have its good points.

For one, Hay’s abrasive tone doesn’t stop the friendliness of his attitude from seeping into his words. He comes at the reader with their best interests at heart, wanting them to experience the same success that he has.

It’s also clear that this is something Hay is passionate about. He has the knowledge and expertise in his field to make his advice worth listening to, and he’s willing to help others learn. It’s definitely a mark in his favour, as far as books go.

It’s a good book, and if you’re interested in property investment, I do think you should at least take note of it. However, the abrasive tone and errors just did not do it for me.

Happy reading, everyone!

set yourself free
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
Petruschka1
2021 Reading Goal: 12
Currently Reading: The Finesser
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-petruschka1.html
Latest Review: The Arrow That Flies By Day by John Servant

Post by Petruschka1 »

I am sure that this book is of interest to anybody looking to invest in the New Zealand property and rental market. In particular at the beginning it is important for potential investors to be given good advice.
Joe Hadithi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joe-hadithi.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by Joe Hadithi »

I have struggled to finish self-help books because of the author's language and tone, so I get where you are coming from. Great work on the review!

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”