Official Review: Expedition Love by Kimberly Cortes

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Elvis Best
2021 Reading Goal: 50
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elvis-best.html
Latest Review: Expedition Love by Kimberly Cortes

Official Review: Expedition Love by Kimberly Cortes

Post by Elvis Best »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Expedition Love" by Kimberly Cortes.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Expedition Love, written by Kimberly Cortes, is a self-help book that aims to help readers to find the purpose of their lives. In the book, Cortes attempts to leave a legacy of love inside the hearts of readers by sharing important lessons and insights from the life of Jesus. She writes, "The life of Jesus is the only real education we ever truly need” (p. VIII).

All in all, I thoroughly enjoyed reading Expedition Love, as I agreed with most of Cortes’s ideas and thoughts about Christianity and the church. I was also impressed when she used research to back up some of her points in the book. It gave me the impression that she put a lot of effort into her work.

The one thing I liked most was how Cortes narrated the story of Jesus. She made me feel as though I were right there in Jesus’s time, experiencing how it felt to live in those days. Indeed, it was quite an interesting retelling of the life of Jesus. The most important thing, however, is that although I have been a Christian all my life and read the whole Bible more times than I can count, I have to admit that I have never truly understood Jesus's message of love until I read this book.

Furthermore, I found the words in Expedition Love to be very comforting and soothing, and they gave me a sense of hope for a life filled with love and peace and kindness, hope for the pure love of God, which conquers all. I found the following words to be particularly soothing: "God’s more concerned with your progress than perfection” (p. 88). This takes a huge burden off my back, as I realize that I do not need to be perfect; I only need to keep doing my best and to keep making progress.

Further, I liked that Cortes decided to share her own story, as it made me feel a strong connection to what she was teaching. Truly, I have learned so many things from the book that has changed my worldview. I especially liked Cortes’s thoughts on money and putting God first. She gave excellent advice that I believe every Christian needs to hear.

Nevertheless, there were a couple of issues I had with Expedition Love. First, I did not agree with a few of Cortes’s ideas, and second, it sometimes felt as though she was making the same arguments over and over again, which made the book a bit boring at some points. However, I believe she did that to emphasize the book’s main message of love.

Considering the above points, I rate Expedition Love 4 out of 4 stars. Indeed, Cortes’s message of love is one that may stay with me for a very long time, and so the minor issues I had with the book could not convince me to deduct a star from its perfect rating. I would recommend Expedition Love to Christians who are unsure about their purpose in life and also to those who want to experience the true love of Jesus. However, I would not recommend it to non-religious people, as the entire book is based on Jesus and his teachings in the Bible.

Expedition Love
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
"People are like stained-glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in, their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within." -Elisabeth Kubler-Ross
raluca_mihaila
2021 Reading Goal: 60
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Passage
Bookshelf Size: 97
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Mysteries Of the First Instant by Daniel Friedmann

Post by raluca_mihaila »

Love is an important teaching, no matter from what point you analyze it. It looks like you enjoyed the book, and I appreciated reading your great review.
Honest-reviewer
2021 Reading Goal: 50
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-honest-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Mister Pushkin Sees The Light by AC Michael

Post by Honest-reviewer »

This book seems quite informative. I enjoy reading self-help books. Thanks for your insightful review.
Kassel_Gacio
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Kassel_Gacio »

yes, its true. We believers truly love to live the life jesus wanted for us. For it is the most gracious and a happiness one you will ever feel. Let Love go beyond our dreams and passion and the blessed life that we all pursuing from our Lord jesus christ.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”