Official Review: Daddy’s Baby Mama’s Maybe

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
RachelEmmanuel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachelemmanuel.html
Latest Review: Daddy’s Baby Mama’s Maybe by Come Lamore
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Official Review: Daddy’s Baby Mama’s Maybe

Post by RachelEmmanuel »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Daddy’s Baby Mama’s Maybe" by Come Lamore.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

If I had to choose one word to describe this book, it would be — depressing. I guess I sort of knew what I was getting myself into when I read the title of the book: Daddy’s Baby Mama’s Maybe by Come Lamore, but based on the description, I expected it to be, perhaps a heartwarming story about finding biological connections. However, I think the title was, at best, misleading. Although the author does write about her non-biological and biological fathers, they are by no means the central theme.

I'm not sure what the central theme of the book truly is, other than a really sad tale of abuse, neglect, and repetitive patterns of behavior. The author details her dysfunctional childhood and youth, raised by a drug-addicted mother. The story is sad and, at times, horrifying, but I did not find the style of writing engaging in the least. It seemed to me that the author just went from one sad (or scary or gross or abusive) encounter to the next like a grocery list of misery.

Despite the title, the author's father (who she finds out is not her biological father) does not play a major role in the book. Neither does her biological father. The book seems focused, almost in its entirety, on the dysfunctional relationship between the author and her mother, which affects almost every aspect of her life and choices.

I admire the author for overcoming so much adversity, abuse, and neglect in her life and for being able to educate herself and accomplish her life goals. For this reason, I rate the book 3 out 4 stars. I think her life is commendable and that she is truly a role model for people who start out in life with the odds stacked against them. From page one to the end of the book, she seems to have had to fight to just live a normal life and have the kind of existence most of us take for granted. But, as I said before, the engagement factor is missing in the book. Those who like to read a book for shock value will probably enjoy it. Some of the off-color stories in the book turned my stomach, but maybe I'm not the right audience for such stories.

As far as editing goes, Daddy’s Baby Mama’s Maybe is a well-edited book: I only found some minor errors in the text. Although it does not contain explicit sexual descriptions or language, there is plenty of content that would make sensitive readers uncomfortable, and I would not recommend it to younger readers. The book is best suited to readers who are not squeamish and who enjoy stories about overcoming the odds.

Daddy’s Baby Mama’s Maybe
View: on Bookshelves
1 Cor 15: 19-20, 26 If only for this life we have hope in Christ, we are of all people most to be pitied.
But Christ has indeed been raised from the dead...The last enemy to be destroyed is death.
ikechukwuamarachi+55
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ikechukwuamarachi-55.html
Latest Review: Running the Sahara by Marcel Nickler

Post by ikechukwuamarachi+55 »

As the name implies, was expecting same as the reviewer. The author surprised us😁
Mtibza eM
2021 Reading Goal: 66
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Evil Envy
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mtibza-em.html
Latest Review: The Missing by Leon Skrywer

Post by Mtibza eM »

Thank you for sharing this lovely review, but I think I will pass on this one.
Drianie
2021 Reading Goal: 50
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-drianie.html
Latest Review: Fish Wielder by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

Post by Drianie »

I found your review interesting, and it is well-written, but I will have to skip this one due to the uncomfortable and sensitive content. I admire the author for overcoming such a difficult childhood and taking the time to share her experiences with others.
WADonnelly
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wadonnelly.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight

Post by WADonnelly »

This sounds like it is a moving book and an interesting read. Great review!
Heidadela
2021 Reading Goal: 56
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidadela.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Heidadela »

The title sounds promising. It is unfortunate that the book was depressing. All the same, thanks for a wonderful review of the book.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”