Official Review: The Glow by Ray A. Humphrey II

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kaitlyn Canedy
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Napoleon Hill
Favorite Book: Too Old Too Soon
Currently Reading: Totem
Bookshelf Size: 509
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaitlyn-canedy.html
Latest Review: The Date Farm by Jack Winnick
2024 Reading Goal: 12
2024 Goal Completion: 16%

Official Review: The Glow by Ray A. Humphrey II

Post by Kaitlyn Canedy »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Glow" by Ray A. Humphrey II.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

It is entirely normal in today’s world to accept the fate that one will be just like everyone else. Commuting to work, completing the shift, picking up the kids from school, making dinner, and finally laying down to go to sleep is the daily grind for most of the world’s population. The Glow, written by Ray A. Humphery II, is a self-help book that teaches readers how to find the special gift that has been given to them by their manufacturer. The author talks about situations in his life that helped him become one step closer to finding his “GLOW.”

According to Ray, the acronym GLOW stands for Genuine Leadership Originates Within. I liked the meaning that the author put behind this word, as it helped connect the stories of the author’s life with the explanations of how he reacted. One such example is how he reacted when a crackhead was asking for money outside of a gas station he was visiting. I do not want to spoil the ending to this story, but I will say that I understood how the GLOW idea was applied here.

Sadly, I feel that the book was a bit pushy in its ideals and favored the author’s success too much. In one of the later chapters, the author talks about two females that he trained at his job. He says that it was unfortunate that the one lady left before he found his GLOW, but that the other lady was fortunate to have stayed when he eventually did. I was appalled at this statement because I felt that the author used a demeaning tone towards the first lady and was too egotistic. For a self-help book, this section of writing seemed out of place.

Another dislike was that one of the earlier chapters discussed eating habits and how they play a large part in the reader’s overall well-being. Unfortunately, there was no advice about how to change them. I was anticipating advice on which macronutrients are better, the effects of caffeine consumption, or something else within this category. If the author were to go back and edit a chapter, my suggestion would be to add information to this one.

I found some errors while reading, but they were not enough to warrant a star deduction. I still think that this title was professionally edited. There was only one instance of minor profanity, so readers should not be deterred because of it. Because of the lack of information in one of the chapters and the tone used in a later one, I rate The Glow 2 out of 4 stars. I did not rate it one star because there is insightful information that some readers may benefit from. There are many mentions of God throughout the book, as the author attributes much of his success to God. As such, I do not recommend it to readers that do not believe in God or are not religious in any way. Young adult readers that want an idea of how to find their place in the world may benefit from what the author has to say.

The Glow
View: on Bookshelves
"I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant, it is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are.”- Mewtwo
Yvonne Monique
Favorite Book: To Sleep in a Sea of Stars
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yvonne-monique.html
Latest Review: Healing Depression by C. Daley

Post by Yvonne Monique »

The glow concept sounds interesting. I hope that the author can make some adjustments to make this a perfect read.
ikechukwuamarachi+55
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 323
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ikechukwuamarachi-55.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by ikechukwuamarachi+55 »

One really needs to discover the unique gift given to one by the Creator. I like the GLOW concept.
Dimi1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dimi1.html
Latest Review: One Woman's Long and Lonely Walk by Gail Hart

Post by Dimi1 »

It seems like a book full of cliches. I think I'll pass on it. Thanks, though, for a great and honest review!

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”