Review by Apearce808 -- A Dream For Peace

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Apearce808
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-apearce808.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Review by Apearce808 -- A Dream For Peace

Post by Apearce808 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "A Dream For Peace" by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

A Dream for Peace: An Ambassador’s Memoir, by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah is a fascinating tour of the history of post colonial Africa through the very unique perspective of a man who had dedicated his life to the pursuit of peace among all peoples. It is a remarkable story of a man who lived during a momentous time for the nations of his home continent Africa. His actions helped bring about change in not only his native Algeria but also his adopted homeland of Cote’ d’Ivoire. Dr. Berrah even chronicles his contributions to the efforts at resolving the Israli-Palestinian conflict and addressing apartheid in South Africa. Throughout his life Dr. Berrah relied both on his training as a career diplomat, and his faith as a devout Muslim to help the people of Africa realize their place in the global community as sovereign nations. Dr. Berrah’s story is a testament to the power of communication over force in seeking the resolution of conflict on any scale.

One of the most striking aspects of this book is the unique perspective Dr. Berrah brings to both world history and African history. From his direct involvement with the fight for a free Algeria in his youth, to the impactful negotiations of his career as an Ambassador. Because these are not only facts, they are personal experiences, the rich detail he includes brings their account to life.

The only negative I can find to mention is related to a few of the included images. While including images of any kind is always helpful to bring the book to life I will say some of the pictures are quite pixelated. I have no doubt this is due to the age and resolution of the initial images, but the value of the images to the text is so great in immersing the reader in the story I hated to see a thwarted opportunity.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. A Dream for Peace: An Ambassador’s Memoir, is an amazing read, it is not only informative in a historical context, it is also engaging from a humanitarian perspective. Dr. Berrah, in his pursuit of peace and a productive future for Africa, teaches by example of what one person really can do when they commit their efforts to a cause.

This book would be of general interest to any adult reader, but of specific interest to people wishing to learn more about the post colonial history of Africa and people wishing to gain an inside perspective on global diplomacy.

A Dream For Peace
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”