Official Review: Warrior Culture, the Indian Wars and Dep...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Nickolas Farmakis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 224
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nickolas-farmakis.html
Latest Review: TROUBLE WATERS by Terrence Winston by Terrence R Winston

Official Review: Warrior Culture, the Indian Wars and Dep...

Post by Nickolas Farmakis »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Warrior Culture, the Indian Wars and Depredations (Volume 1)" by Edward Osborne.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Warrior Culture, the Indian Wars and Depredations (Volume 1) by Edward Osborne is a non-fiction book that investigates historical evidence related to horrific atrocities committed by Indians in the western part of the United States mainly during the latter half of the 19th century. Throughout the text, the author criticizes the mainstream progressive approach towards the vile practices of the Native Americans, as he tries to prove that their uncivilized actions are unjustifiable.

The author begins by exploring the culture of killing and raping present in both Aztecs and Plains Indians. After sharing some information about the awful human sacrifices performed by Aztec priests, the writer delves into the terrible mutilations done by Indians in the 19th century in the American Plains. In particular, the author discusses the culture of war and vengeance in Indian society, as he explores historical primary sources related to Indian raids of homes, where men, women, and children were scalped, and their bodies were defiled in the most horrendous of ways. This is because Indian male warriors needed to scalp victims to establish their status in the tribe. Female Indians were treated as slaves, while white women that were captured were raped and atrociously abused.

There were several aspects of this book that I appreciated. Firstly, the author structured this book very logically, as he broke down his thoughts clearly and cohesively. He organized the text excellently, summarizing the main points of his research at the end of each chapter. Moreover, the writer created interest and excitement in the book by adding emotion and drama to the text. The author managed to successfully convey the pain and agony experienced by the white settlers who lost their families and children to the savagery of the Indians. What I liked most about this book was that it was historically accurate, as the author included a rich bibliography with hundreds of sources, thereby allowing him to reach valid and persuasive conclusions.

What I disliked most about the text was that it had a vast number of grammatical and syntax mistakes, which degraded the author’s professionalism and the book’s image.

This book will be mostly enjoyed by people who want to learn more information about the Native Americans and their violent culture. Readers who have historical knowledge will be able to follow the author’s arguments more easily. Only mature adult readers are suitable to read this book, as there are many descriptions of horrifically violent scenes.

In summary, I rate this book with 3 out of 4 stars. I could not give it a perfect rating due to its unprofessional editing. Nevertheless, I did not give this book a lower score since it was rationally structured and well researched.

Warrior Culture, the Indian Wars and Depredations (Volume 1)
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
GreatReviews
2021 Reading Goal: 20
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-greatreviews.html
Latest Review: The King of May by Matthew Tysz

Post by GreatReviews »

The book sounds so intriguing. I'll love to review this as well. Well done in your review
Miller56
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miller56.html
Latest Review: Blackberry Road by Jodi Lea Stewart

Post by Miller56 »

Although I enjoy historical novels and reading about Indian culture, I am not sure this is a book that I would enjoy. It sounds like the book focuses on the uglier side of the culture instead of looking at the positive side also. I think I will pass on this one. Thanks for the review.
Yvonne Monique
2021 Reading Goal: 35
Favorite Book: To Sleep in a Sea of Stars
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yvonne-monique.html
Latest Review: The crew of the HST DARČEK by Robert Marsolais

Post by Yvonne Monique »

I am not sure if Native Americans will be pleased with this book, although it describes true events. Your review is very thorough, though, well done.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”