Official Review: Dr. Stern’s. Rotation Diet

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Scerakor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 231
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scerakor.html
Latest Review: Dr. Stern’s. Rotation Diet by Michael STERN,M.D.

Official Review: Dr. Stern’s. Rotation Diet

Post by Scerakor »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Dr. Stern’s. Rotation Diet" by Michael STERN,M.D..]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Are you looking to lose weight but don't know where to start? Maybe you've heard the rumblings of a new fad diet, or maybe you've already tried them all. Have none of your previous attempts at getting (and keeping) those pounds off borne fruit. Maybe, just maybe, you're only missing the tricks and tips found within the pages of Dr. Stern's Rotation Diet by Michael Stern, M.D.

This book is a product of personal experience by the author. Not only has he been challenged to lose weight himself, but he has made a career of his research when he founded the Seattle Weight Loss Center. Dr. Stern's general concept focuses on rotating through some combination of the seven main diet categories: calorie counting, ideology, common sense/mindfulness, fasting, meal replacement, low carb, and low fat. Beyond this concept, Dr. Stern also gives the reader key advice and information to help them throughout their weight loss journey. From his thoughts on exercise to a chapter devoted to motivation, Dr. Stern touches on many topics throughout this book.

What I liked about this book was how straightforward the author was with the reader. He never pretended that losing weight was going to be easy with his method. On the contrary, he regularly stated not only how difficult it was to shed those pounds, but also how hard evolution and our bodies are working against us. What I liked the most about this book, however, was how the main principle behind his rotation diet makes sense. The body gets used to the rigours we are putting it through and the mind gets bored. The principle at hand, rotating through different diets, helps avoid the mental and physical pitfalls of weight loss.

Unfortunately, in my opinion, this book falls short in a few key areas. Although everything Dr. Stern says rings true to the reader, his work is a bit all over the place. I expected, based on the title, a detailed description of the book's promised diet plan. What we get, however, is not a guide that can be used on its own. Significant additional research into other plans is required for a reader to be able to start this one. The author assumes the reader is already well versed in the concepts behind fasting, meal replacement diets, or low-carb diets. What I disliked the most, however, was how much time was devoted to the diet itself. I completely agree that the mental, motivational, and physical aspects of weight loss are undeniable. On the other hand, for a book named after a specific diet, I felt that too much time was spent on peripheral topics like meditation and mindfulness.

All in all, this book provided excellent advice, guidelines, and concepts surrounding the daunting task of losing weight. Choosing to take the book as one of weight loss in general and not simply on the specific diet created by the author, I opted to give the book three out of four stars. I took off one star for the misleading title and what I deemed to be a lot of filler content. I would recommend this book for those struggling to lose weight. In particular, those who feel like something is missing after having tried a variety of other diets. If you're not looking to lose weight, or if you've already found your slimming holy grail, you can let this one pass.

Dr. Stern’s. Rotation Diet
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
ikechukwuamarachi+55
Currently Reading: Running the Sahara
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by ikechukwuamarachi+55 »

Losing weight can be stressful, and for the fact that the author wasn't misleading makes me interested in reading the book. Thanks for the review
Drianie
2021 Reading Goal: 50
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-drianie.html
Latest Review: Protectors of the Black Prince by Curtis Stephen Burdick

Post by Drianie »

I can see why readers will be interested in reading this book, but the filler content puts me off a little. I enjoyed reading your interesting review. Thanks!
WADonnelly
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wadonnelly.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by WADonnelly »

I don't think this is a book I will reach for but it sounds like it could be helpful to many. Great informative review.
LeighBee
2021 Reading Goal: 100
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: The Knights of Chalethire
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leighbee.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by LeighBee »

It's interesting. I wouldn't enjoy reading this book if it is disjointed, but I do think meditation is a key part of a successful diet. This sounds ridiculous, but I personally found that after many failed diets, not one doctor believed my explanation of my diet and exercise routine. Finally, at the Mayo Clinic, I found a doctor who thought my weight may have more to do with stress than what I was actually eating. He was right!
Petruschka1
2021 Reading Goal: 12
Currently Reading: The Finesser
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-petruschka1.html
Latest Review: The Arrow That Flies By Day by John Servant

Post by Petruschka1 »

I like the idea of trying out different diets. In this way the reader gets a chance of experimenting with various dietary approaches and avoids getting stuck in a routine which might not work for him.
Yvonne Monique
2021 Reading Goal: 35
Favorite Book: To Sleep in a Sea of Stars
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yvonne-monique.html
Latest Review: The crew of the HST DARČEK by Robert Marsolais

Post by Yvonne Monique »

Just having read a book about a different type of diet, I agree with you that it is frustrating when too much information is given that does not relate directly to the diet itself. Great review!

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”