Review by Miranda King -- The Mindset by Ace Bowers

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Miranda King
Currently Reading: Hunted
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miranda-king.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty

Review by Miranda King -- The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by Miranda King »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Mindset" by Ace Bowers.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Mindset by Ace Bowers is an inspirational autobiography. He narrates his transition from growing up in poverty to becoming a janitor earning only six dollars an hour. He eventually becomes a successful millionaire. Throughout his memoir Ace shines light of his childhood to his reader, showing a dysfunctional family and the life of poverty in which he lived in. These memories, though often filled with pain, are also surrounded by empathy for his parents. His parents did not know how to budget and often spent most of their paychecks on payday. The empathy and love he shows for his parents throughout kept me engaged.

I really appreciated the honesty throughout this book. There was clear pain and processing throughout his writing. Emotion within The Mindset is authentic and genuine which connects the reader to each individual experience as well as each character that is introduced. Ace Bowers is not trying to to sell his readers on a new creation of an idea. He is reminding readers that hard work and motivation will take you exactly where you want to go in life and that definitely was my favorite part of the entire book.

The only part of the book I disliked was the repetition throughout the first half of the book. This appeared to get better near the second half of the book. I do not know if this was meant as emphasis as the author felt this was important to restate, however, it felt parts of the story were dragged on for too long or restated one to many times.

Ace’s story is extraordinarily inspiring and I would recommend this book to young adults as well as adults. You do not need to have had a traumatic childhood to read or understand his memoir. His story is a great tool for adults to help guide others going through a tough time. It could also be a great read for young adults who have experienced trauma in their own life and need some inspiration.

Throughout the book there are references to God as well as angles. The references are not many and can be skipped over by a non-believer. There are no sexual scenes, or explicitly violent scenes. The creation of this book is his way of processing his own traumatic experiences as well as encouraging others to work through their own. I would rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. I enjoyed the author's writing style.

The Mindset
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Marcel Cantu
Currently Reading: Under Another Sun
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marcel-cantu.html
Latest Review: The Educator by Pamela Green-Nanni

Post by Marcel Cantu »

I really enjoy motivational autobiographies! This sounds like an interesting story thank you for your review!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”