Official Review: The Secret Apartment by Tom Garvey

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Eutoc
2021 Reading Goal: 25
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eutoc.html
Latest Review: The Secret Apartment by Tom Garvey

Official Review: The Secret Apartment by Tom Garvey

Post by Eutoc »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Secret Apartment" by Tom Garvey.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

A house is a place where one calls home. But could an apartment in a stadium be called your home? This question is what Tom Garvey answered in his memoir The Secret Apartment. Tom shared how he encountered a vacant room in the stadium where he worked. The room didn’t seem to be in use, so he converted this room to his apartment.

The book started with Tom narrating how his uncles built a multimillion-dollar business from selling hotdogs. Tom’s uncles worked at the Veterans Stadium, where they sold foods, drinks and novelties. With the help of his uncles, Tom took over the parking operations at the stadium. While taking a stroll in the stadium, Tom stumbled upon a vacant room on the 200-level concourse of the Veterans Stadium. Although the room looked like a long-forgotten space in the stadium, it seemed befitting to serve as an apartment. With such an apartment hidden in plain sight, all he had to do was to keep the existence of his newly acquired apartment a secret from most people.

This memoir is written in the form of short stories. The stories were narrated from the point of view of the author. The author was quite adept with his words, thereby making the narrative more interesting to read. I relished the experiences Tom had during his stay at the stadium. He had access to most places in the stadium, and he did whatever suited him. There was a time Tom granted his friend access to a lounge specifically meant for the wives and girlfriends of the sports stars using the stadium. The author’s stories made me deliberate if I could live in a secret apartment at my favourite club’s stadium, Old Trafford. I don’t think anyone would pass up an opportunity to meet the stars that would frequent the stadium and other side attractions that would come with it. It would be an experience that I’d love to have.

There were some minor things that I wasn’t pleased with while reading this book. I found it difficult to keep track of all the people Tom introduced to the readers. Each of the short stories introduced a new person who was crucial only in that particular story. Keeping track of those characters made me backtrack a couple of times. Also, I found a few errors while reading, though the errors weren’t distracting.

I would rate The Secret Apartment 4 out of 4 stars because I enjoyed the stories shared in the book. The flaws that I highlighted aren’t grave enough to deny the book a perfect rating. Any reader with an interest in sports would enjoy the book. The sporting activities narrated here would be appealing to them the most. The Secret Apartment is suitable for all age groups.

The Secret Apartment
View: on Bookshelves
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson
raluca_mihaila
2021 Reading Goal: 60
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Passage
Bookshelf Size: 97
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Mysteries Of the First Instant by Daniel Friedmann

Post by raluca_mihaila »

It seems like an interesting book, a light reading suitable for everybody. Thank you for this great review!
smolbird
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smolbird.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by smolbird »

I think it was a really gutsy move to just up and convert a random space in your workplace into your living space. I'm definitely interested in how things panned out for him.
"It does not do well to dwell on dreams and forget to live." - Albus Dumbledore
OBC Reviewer
2021 Reading Goal: 10
Currently Reading: The Irish-American Connection
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-obc-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Please Don't Tell Cooper He's A Dog by Michelle Lander Feinberg

Post by OBC Reviewer »

Though this sort of inspirational mmemoirs are not uncommon, this ine has a unique touch with its 'apartment' thing. Thanks for the descriptive review
Yvonne Monique
2021 Reading Goal: 35
Favorite Book: To Sleep in a Sea of Stars
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yvonne-monique.html
Latest Review: The crew of the HST DARČEK by Robert Marsolais

Post by Yvonne Monique »

The amazing thing is that it is a real story! I wonder how long the author could keep this apartment a secret?! Great review, very informative.
Dartemis
2021 Reading Goal: 30
Currently Reading: Superbugs
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dartemis.html
Latest Review: Flicker World by Brian Cramer

Post by Dartemis »

While I'm not much of a sports fan, the premise itself sounds interesting enough to make me want to check it out. Thanks for the informative review.
Suzer6440 xyz
Favorite Book: The Girl Who Lived
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-suzer6440-xyz.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by Suzer6440 xyz »

VERY interesting for sure! It seems surprising that he could go as far as making this space for himself. I am interested to read how the rest of the story goes!,
Sou Hi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 94
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sou-hi.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Sou Hi »

Thanks for your informative review. Having a secret apartment inside a stadium sounds interesting. Though I'm not into sport, reading about lives seen in the arena can be a nice and refreshing change.
Slater678
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-slater678.html
Latest Review: Escape the Maze by T. Mertz

Post by Slater678 »

This is an unusual memoir due to the description of an apartment the author used in secret in a stadium. There must be more to this story. Thanks for the captivating review.
Chizioboli
2021 Reading Goal: 58
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chizioboli.html
Latest Review: What is priest Nation, The Seed, and the H5G by Herbert Scholes

Post by Chizioboli »

I am inquisitive, was the room discovered? I just need to know; your review caught me reading for more, interesting, intriguing and exciting read. Thank you for this fantastic read
Mtibza eM
2021 Reading Goal: 66
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: The Price of Dreams
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mtibza-em.html
Latest Review: East Wind, 2nd edition by Jack Winnick

Post by Mtibza eM »

Wow! This book so different and I think I will enjoy it.
Saint Bruno
2021 Reading Goal: 150
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saint-bruno.html
Latest Review: A Letter to Marganie by Russ Dumas
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Saint Bruno »

For how long does he intend to keep the apartment a secret? I wish to find out. Thanks for the detailed review.
WADonnelly
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by WADonnelly »

Sounds like an interesting book although perhaps not one for me. Great review though!
justhereader
Currently Reading: Dancing Under The Stars
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-justhereader.html
Latest Review: Wilderness Cry by Hilary L Hunt M.D.

Post by justhereader »

This memoir about a man who made a secret apartment inside a stadium definitely sounds intriguing. It’s also written in short stories! Very interesting premise.
SamaylaM
Currently Reading: Don't Be A Financial Disaster
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samaylam.html
Latest Review: Crescendo by Rhiannon Kay

Post by SamaylaM »

Memoirs can be unattractive to readers if they lack creativity. This one seems full of that! The random apartment in the stadium, the secret, and everything else really sound interesting. Thanks for a wonderful review!

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”