Official Review: I Am My Hair by Barbara Hart

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Sunshine at the Academy
Bookshelf Size: 373
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Killing Plot by Tahnee Perry

Official Review: I Am My Hair by Barbara Hart

Post by kandscreeley »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "I Am My Hair" by Barbara Hart.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Have you gone through hairstyle after hairstyle looking for that perfect one? How many stylists have you visited looking for the right fit? If the answer is more than five, you might identify with Barbara Hart, author of I Am My Hair.

For her, it all started in the fourth grade when her mother gave her a Toni perm. From that point on, she searched high and low for that elusive perfect style. "The following is an account of my feckless and fickle journey through those decades when my priorities were based on that tubular epithelial sheath, better known as a hair follicle." Does she ever find a suitable hairstyle and hairdresser?

In the non-fiction genre, I would classify this as humor. At less than 45 pages, the book can be read in a day. There is a sprinkling of profanity, so I would only recommend it for mature audiences.

There were many positives in this novel. First, the author likes to use interesting and obscure terms, as you can tell from the sample sentence above. Rather than feeling like the author spent too much time with a thesaurus, it added to the ambiance of the story.

Also included are comic-like illustrations by Christine Linson. These enhanced the comedic aspect of the book, and I enjoyed them. These appeared on almost every other page. My favorite drawing was of Ms. Hart having her hair highlighted. Anyone who has had these foils in their hair can empathize with the author, but I will leave you to discover the comparison she makes here. The only downside was the spacing of the words in the speech and thought bubbles. They occasionally ran together. However, the words were still readable, and I would consider this a minor spacing issue.

Furthermore, the author also added pictures of her various hairstyles at the end of the book. From the bouffant to the beehive, Ms. Hart really has done it all, and she has the pictures to prove it. It was fun to put an image to all the hairdos of which she speaks.

Other than the minor issue with the drawings, there were no real drawbacks. The book doesn't seem to have a point, but does every book need a point? Sometimes it's fun to sit and enjoy something that's completely inane.

All in all, I Am My Hair is a light-hearted read which I am glad to award 4 out of 4 stars. If you've struggled with your hair, if you are a hairstylist, or if you simply enjoy fun books, this would be a perfect read. If you've had the same hairstyle for your entire life, you might not appreciate the author's humor. I can't wait to see what other tidbits of her life become books.

I Am My Hair
View: on Bookshelves
Good books, like good friends, are few and chosen; the more select, the more enjoyable.
-Louisa May Alcott
Saint Bruno
2021 Reading Goal: 150
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saint-bruno.html
Latest Review: A Letter to Marganie by Russ Dumas
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Saint Bruno »

I sure like books with comic aspects. It makes a book fun to read. Thanks for your wonderfully written review.
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 406
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: A New First Day by Elena Maria Grant

Post by Cecilia_L »

This sounds like a fun and relatable read, and I enjoyed your review. Thanks!
Joy Phill
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joy-phill.html
Latest Review: A Pathway to Freedom by Milca Meruelo

Post by Joy Phill »

I have definitely struggled with my hair, and it would be lovely to incorporate new hairstyles. Thanks for an easy-to-read review.
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Saint Bruno wrote: 13 Feb 2021, 09:41 I sure like books with comic aspects. It makes a book fun to read. Thanks for your wonderfully written review.
Then you'll probably enjoy this book. It was fun. Thanks.
Good books, like good friends, are few and chosen; the more select, the more enjoyable.
-Louisa May Alcott
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Cecilia_L wrote: 13 Feb 2021, 13:45 This sounds like a fun and relatable read, and I enjoyed your review. Thanks!
It is for sure! It's a quick one too. Thanks.
-Louisa May Alcott
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Joy Phill wrote: 13 Feb 2021, 15:59 I have definitely struggled with my hair, and it would be lovely to incorporate new hairstyles. Thanks for an easy-to-read review.
I hear you! There's only two hairstyles that look good on me. Thanks for commenting.
-Louisa May Alcott
Suzer6440 xyz
2021 Reading Goal: 25
Favorite Book: The Girl Who Lived
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-suzer6440-xyz.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by Suzer6440 xyz »

This sounds like such a fun read, I love everything about it and to top it all off, I LOVE hair. Lol I like that I can relate to the content and also that it’s a quick Read!
Yvonne Monique
2021 Reading Goal: 35
Favorite Book: To Sleep in a Sea of Stars
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yvonne-monique.html
Latest Review: The crew of the HST DARČEK by Robert Marsolais

Post by Yvonne Monique »

As somebody who has not changed her hairstyle ever, I might find this a fun read, just to see what I'm missing :-).
raluca_mihaila
2021 Reading Goal: 60
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Passage
Bookshelf Size: 97
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Mysteries Of the First Instant by Daniel Friedmann

Post by raluca_mihaila »

This sound like the perfect reading material for a bad hair day :). Thank you for this amusing review!
OBC Reviewer
2021 Reading Goal: 10
Currently Reading: The Irish-American Connection
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-obc-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Please Don't Tell Cooper He's A Dog by Michelle Lander Feinberg

Post by OBC Reviewer »

I love a good book with a healthy amount of humour. Thanks for the descriptive review
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Suzer6440 xyz wrote: 14 Feb 2021, 00:16 This sounds like such a fun read, I love everything about it and to top it all off, I LOVE hair. Lol I like that I can relate to the content and also that it’s a quick Read!
Hah. This sounds like the perfect book for you! I hope you enjoy.
-Louisa May Alcott
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Yvonne Monique wrote: 14 Feb 2021, 02:30 As somebody who has not changed her hairstyle ever, I might find this a fun read, just to see what I'm missing :-).
That's true! Maybe she'll inspire you to come over to the dark side... But I doubt it. Thanks.
-Louisa May Alcott
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

raluca_mihaila wrote: 14 Feb 2021, 04:29 This sound like the perfect reading material for a bad hair day :). Thank you for this amusing review!
Oh yes! It would be perfect for a bad hair day. It would make you feel much better. Thanks.
-Louisa May Alcott
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

OBC Reviewer wrote: 14 Feb 2021, 09:10 I love a good book with a healthy amount of humour. Thanks for the descriptive review
Then this one would be great for you. It's quick to read as well. Thanks.
-Louisa May Alcott

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”