Official Review: The Red Pill Executive

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sam Ibeh
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 459
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sam-ibeh.html
Latest Review: The vampires: Sodom and Gomorrah by Levănt DuPrae

Official Review: The Red Pill Executive

Post by Sam Ibeh »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Red Pill Executive" by Tony Gruebl, Jeff Welch, and Bryan Wolbert.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Generally, project failure is regarded as a norm due to the high rate of project failures worldwide. Interestingly, The Red Pill Executive by Tony Gruebl, Jeff Welch, and Bryan Wolbert has a different perspective.

Several Affordable Care Act exchanges failed in January 2014. Soon after, Dr. Harold Kerzner, a senior executive director with International Institute for Learning, was interviewed by Kyle Dowling, who worked for a blog named "Surviving Disaster in Project Management." When asked to state why project management had become so controversial in terms of professional validity, Harold's answer showed that the real reason for project failure had been a mystery for a long time. This mystery was what The Red Pill Executive tried to uncover.

The Red Pill Executive was written to correct the fallacious belief that projects would always fail. It was authored by a group of seasoned professionals who presented an intriguing mix of experience and storytelling. Their writing style took both a narrative and an expository approach, which introduced stories from popular movies to buttress further the excellent points made in the book. These stories they introduced helped me get a clearer picture of their viewpoints. The lessons therein were also taught in clear and straightforward terms. The authors' different approaches to the work were realistic. This made me feel connected and involved in what the authors were saying.

Furthermore, the authors clearly stated their reasons for having a different view on project failure while making direct references to their personal experiences. This went a long way in driving their various points and strategic approaches home. It also made my reading journey more enjoyable due to the realistic stories shared. The authors' use of suspense in the course of telling their stories helped to spice things up.

What I liked most about the book was the part where the authors explained the origin of the Abilene Paradox. I enjoyed the short story surrounding the paradox and connected to it, having found myself in a similar position multiple times. I also liked that the authors used popular American movie storylines as case studies throughout the book. Movie lovers would have a swell time reading this book.

I found a couple of errors in the book. However, it did not detract from the book's flow. The writing style was excellent and reader-friendly. The illustrative stories the authors introduced were also a fabulous addition. Apart from the few errors, there wasn't anything I disliked about this book.

Overall, the book was an intriguing and exciting read. Therefore, I'd rate it 4 out of 4 stars. I'd recommend this book to all entrepreneurs, project managers, and lovers of a well-written business book.

The Red Pill Executive
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Gabby S14
Favorite Book: All the Light We Cannot See
Currently Reading: The Sound and the Fury
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabby-s14.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

Post by Gabby S14 »

I just started taking a business class this semester! We talked about how businesses run and how they can sometimes fail. It's a scary thing to think about, but businesses run by teams fail all the time. It would be fascinating to learn more about the specific reasons that projects fail. I may just have to read this book alongside my classwork. Great job with your review!
Jennifer Garcia 555
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Vagabond
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-garcia-555.html
Latest Review: Somebody’s Watching You by Robin D'Amato

Post by Jennifer Garcia 555 »

This book sounds like it would be very helpful to business majors. Learning about how and why businesses fail might give insight on how to avoid failure in the first place. Well-written review.
“Isn’t it nice to think that tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it yet?” — L. M. Montgomery
nikechi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nikechi.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by nikechi »

This seems nice. I am a teenager, and I'm ready to start my business. I already feel like this book will combat my fears of business failure because of the excellent review.
Awesome!
Let peace reign in the chaos :reading-4:
Kulzum
Currently Reading: Still I rise
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kulzum.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Kulzum »

I would like to learn why well-planned projects fail too. You've tempted me to read this book.
Uzo_Reviews
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uzo-reviews.html
Latest Review: Snow Country Lane by Sarah Vail

Post by Uzo_Reviews »

In writing, using story telling and experience can never can wrong. Thanks for commending this book.
onyii_review
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-onyii-review.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by onyii_review »

This looks like a book that may enhance moods and ambitions. Nice review.
Uzzy_Reviews

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”