Official Review: Poems About Things That Mattered Most

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kibetious
Previous Member of the Month
2021 Reading Goal: 70
Currently Reading: A Christian Manifesto for the Twenty-first Century
Bookshelf Size: 1429
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibetious.html
Latest Review: The Goddess Journal by Joy Alantis

Official Review: Poems About Things That Mattered Most

Post by Kibetious »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Poems About Things That Mattered Most" by Bob Dowell.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Poems About Things That Mattered Most: Faith, Family, Country by Bob Dowell was published in 2020. The sensational book is approximately 137 pages long and comprises forty-three enthralling poems. The poems undoubtedly inspire, inform, entertain, and above all enlighten the reader about what truly matters most in life. They span many years from when the author met his future wife to the present where he enjoys spending time with his great-grandchildren. The author’s profound love for God, family, and country stood out in every poem.

The poetic compositions address diverse issues, like love, celebrating the struggles and joys of parenthood, appreciating mothers, the greatness of America, faith, and even the ravaging Coronavirus Pandemic. The author references the significant contributions of the Puritans as part of the founding fathers of America while abundantly demonstrating this unwavering belief in God in his own life. This was quite evident when Bob closed the concluding poem with a line appreciating the God-given longevity to enjoy these unique blessings. Consequently, his faith in God formed a sturdy foundation upon which everything else was built.

The poems made me smile, laugh, reminisce, and cogitate. I could not keep myself from chuckling when I read how Stan and Dwight, the author’s sons, were playing a ‘dangerous game with the fridge’. Dwight could not get his brother out, as he was too short to reach the door handle. Initially, his father did not understand the situation when he was informed Stan was inside the fridge. As a result, he instructed Dwight to tell his brother to get out before it finally dawned on him that Stan needed help. Other poems led me on a path of self-examination, while others still taught me to appreciate the seemingly minute things in life.

What I liked most was the thought-provocative nature of the poems. They made me think about things I value the most in my life. The poems were simple and impressive. Simple as they communicated ordinary subjects in a straightforward manner and impressive as the author employed many literary devices and thus making every poem exceptional. The metaphors used were mind-blowing. For example, the author compares guidance and God’s will to a dance where one partner takes the lead with gentle cues while the other follows. Further, the allusion to several biblical and monumental events and figures in history was sufficient evidence of the author’s remarkable devotion to the subjects.

I rate the book 4 out of 4 stars as there is nothing I disliked about it, and the editing was professionally done. I recommend it to all lovers of poetry. The poems did not contain any attempt at proselytization, and accordingly, nonbelievers will enjoy poring over them. In the fullness of time, we will all be forced to answer the question about the things that matter most in our lives. In the meantime, Poems About Things That Mattered Most will cause you to look around and appreciate the people and little things around you. You will be led down the memory lane to retrieve those memories that give the present meaning. You may be inspired to compose poems about them as well.

Poems About Things That Mattered Most
View: on Bookshelves
​​​​​​He gives strength to those who are tired; to the ones who lack power, he gives renewed energy :techie-studyinggray:
Dman_1996
2021 Reading Goal: 40
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dman-1996.html
Latest Review: Her Lost Words; Her Broken Silence by Shantanel Payne

Post by Dman_1996 »

I am a poetic soul at heart, so this review is really speaking to me. I cannot wait to read this book and find some type of inspiration and hope that really recked many people's lives during the pandemic. Thanks for this well-written and descriptive review!
Joy Phill
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joy-phill.html
Latest Review: A Pathway to Freedom by Milca Meruelo

Post by Joy Phill »

It's great to know that you disliked nothing about this book. The author has done a good job. Thanks for your review
Etienneza
2021 Reading Goal: 30
Currently Reading: Shakespeare
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-etienneza.html
Latest Review: Please Don't Tell Cooper He's A Dog by Michelle Lander Feinberg

Post by Etienneza »

A very sober emotionally provocative analysis with reflections of raw emotion, requiring immediate perusal. Well done with a professionally compiled review. On the bookshelf, it goes!
Gbemisola Akinremi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35

Post by Gbemisola Akinremi »

I'm unapologetically a lover of poetry and I so look forward to digesting this thoughtfully written book. Exciting review, thank you.
nikechi
2021 Reading Goal: 100
Currently Reading: The Future of Buildings, Transportation and Power
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nikechi.html
Latest Review: The Soulmate Prophecy - Book One - The Birth by Yasmina Haque

Post by nikechi »

I think I'll really appreciate reading a book about things that matter from grand-father.
Thanks for such an awesome review :tiphat:
Let peace and calm reign the in chaos :reading-4:
GreatReviews
2021 Reading Goal: 20
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-greatreviews.html
Latest Review: The King of May by Matthew Tysz

Post by GreatReviews »

This would be a lesson from an elder. I've been longing to have an opportunity to read a poetry book. I'll be glad if I could be given this book to review. Good job on your review!
kdstrack
2021 Reading Goal: 105
Currently Reading: Skeletal
Bookshelf Size: 473
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: Murder by Definition by Lynn G. Armstrong

Post by kdstrack »

I like the way you highlight the author's ability to evoke so many different emotions. The poems also encompass a wide variety of topics that readers can easily relate to in their life. So, have you been inspired to write poetry? Thanks for the lovely recommendation.
Suzer6440 xyz
2021 Reading Goal: 25
Favorite Book: The Girl Who Lived
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-suzer6440-xyz.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by Suzer6440 xyz »

I normally do not read poetry. However, the subjects written in these pages sound interesting enough to read. Thanks for the great review!

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”