Official Review: Tall Tales from the Tower

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
AntonelaMaria
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antonelamaria.html
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Official Review: Tall Tales from the Tower

Post by AntonelaMaria »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Tall Tales from the Tower" by Stephen G. Morris.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Please note that this is a re-review of this book.

Tall Tales from the Tower: The REAL Hillbilly Elegy by Stephen G. Morris is a nonfiction book about the author’s life and Air Force service. In this book, we follow Stephen Morris throughout his life. From his childhood in West Virginia to his retirement in Georgia, he shares engaging and entertaining stories about his personal and professional life. Morris joined United States Air Force in 1960 and served in Portugal, Thailand, Italy, Germany, and United Kingdom. He retired from Air Force in 1984 and took a job as the Chief Controller of Otis Control Tower in Massachusetts. Because of his wife’s health issues in 2012, he retired and became her full-time caregiver.

I liked the linear storytelling of the author’s career. The personal stories show another side to an Air Force man. The pride he feels for his job, family, and his wife are unmistakable. It is praiseworthy that I, an amateur in terms of aircraft and military, was absorbed in this book. Furthermore, I liked the author’s sense of humor throughout the book. It balances out the serious tone of the book very well.

There are many stories included about his life abroad and the travels he went on with his wife. My favorite part of the entire book is the inclusion of photographs. There are numerous pictures with breathtaking landscapes and imposing aircraft that bring this book to life. Nevertheless, for such a substantial career, this book is very concise.

I would recommend this book to all readers interested in military stories. Furthermore, American readers will find this book interesting as it deals with former US Air Force members. Yet, the author doesn’t shy away from opinions about politics and political leaders. One thing is for sure, you can disagree with the author’s point of view, but you will appreciate his service. There is no explicit content, just some minor profanities, which makes this book suitable for all age groups.

I am glad to report that the author implemented the revision I suggested in the first review. When I read the previous version of the book, it had numerous grammatical errors. This time around, I only noticed two minor errors. What I found interesting is that I enjoyed this book much more after reading it for the second time. There is nothing I disliked about this book. For that and all previously mentioned reasons, I will rate this book with four out of four stars.

Tall Tales from the Tower
View: on Bookshelves
“Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.”
The Minpins by Roald Dahl

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”