Review by Owen John -- How To Be Successful

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Owen John
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-owen-john.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Review by Owen John -- How To Be Successful

Post by Owen John »

[Following is a volunteer review of "How To Be Successful" by M. Curtis McCoy.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy was written at McCoy's pivotal moment, a moment that turned his life around for the better. Being diagnosed with cancer is usually a death sentence for many people. It could also be the case with McCoy, given that the doctors had given him 60 to 90 days to live. However, that did not put him down. He began looking for all possible ways to make his remaining life better, and that is when the journey of researching how he could be successful began. That was undoubtedly the birth of the book too. The book is a compilation of the discussions that he had with successful people like the US Navy SEAL sniper, Jeff “Biggs” Wobig on how they made it in life.

If there is a book that is packed with wonderful life lessons like how to avoid negativity in life, it is this. The book, upon completing it, leaves you very encouraged, motivated and uplifted than you were before you read it. You are confronted with real-life stories from people who, despite the problems and challenges they went through, broke through the barricades in their lives. It also teaches how to sustain the success you have achieved. One good example is the interview with Jeff “Biggs” Wobig, a US Navy SEAL sniper. He says that creating a good foundation of success in your life is one important step to being successful.

Another thing that I loved was how natural and original the book was. The author does not struggle to create so many chapters of motivational quotes. He also does not form stories of success out of the blues. He extracts most of the content from real discussions from people who are well known like Jeff “Biggs” Wobig who was a successful US Navy SEAL sniper, Eric Payne and Connie Wyatt to mention but a few. It is agreeable that nothing motivates more than a real success story.

However, I expected the book to be free from any religious references because we are all diverse, but the opposite was the case. Various biblical verses are included in the book, which some readers may not be conversant with. In some places, this made the book look more of a religious book. To be specific, it made it look like a Christian inspiration. That isn't a good thing for readers with no taste for such books.

Another thing that put me off was the way the book was formatted. The font and styles used looked so ugly that I nearly put the book down. To be precise and honest, it looked like a badly written book written with old Victorian typewriters. The beautiful content it contains does not match the book's typesetting. I, however, can't judge much because I didn't read the book in other formats but the PDF version was not so appealing to me.

The book deserves a 4 out of 4 stars because of the wonderful life lessons it contains. It also displays uniqueness and originality with no fumbles. The typesetting and lack of diversity could have made me deduct a star, but the content it contains is way too much wonderful.

I recommend the book to those who are looking for motivation and inspiration in their lives, especially on how to succeed. The book is also a good fit for those who have lost hope in life. Maybe how McCoy overcomes misfortunes in his life, including being diagnosed with cancer and other uplifting stories could be a big inspiration to them.

How To Be Successful
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Marcel Cantu
Currently Reading: Under Another Sun
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marcel-cantu.html
Latest Review: Elizabeth's Garden by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Marcel Cantu »

I like that there is such a range of interviews in this book! Thank you for your detailed and interesting review.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”