Official Review: How Did I Get Here by Gloria Walker-Powell

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Katie Canedy
2021 Reading Goal: 25
Currently Reading: Integrity Selling For The 21st Century
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katie-canedy.html
Latest Review: A Simple Man's Study of Esther by Chuck Robertson

Official Review: How Did I Get Here by Gloria Walker-Powell

Post by Katie Canedy »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "How Did I Get Here" by Gloria Walker-Powell.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

From the day of her birth, Gloria Walker-Powell had a tough childhood. Her mother was abusive to her and her brother all the time, with Gloria getting most of the abuse. Hanging out in questionable parts of town with shady individuals was her lifestyle, as she says that it is better to be here than at home. These decisions were the start of a downward spiral in her life, including her future relationships, children, and living situations. How Did I Get Here: A Journey of Purpose is the first of two memoirs of Gloria’s life that explains how she found the solution to the pain that she had been suffering from and how she could forgive those that wronged her.

The one aspect of the book that I enjoyed the most was the author’s honesty. She does not stray away from heavy details, including an altercation with one of her boyfriends that gave her a life-threatening injury. Gloria was also honest about how she made the wrong decisions and how they impacted her life. Readers that are uncomfortable with these scenarios should read with caution.

My favorite person in this memoir was Dee. No matter what situation Gloria found herself in, she knew that she could rely on Dee to help her. I enjoyed learning about Dee and appreciated the inclusion of this friend. With this character, I was able to learn an important lesson that I will not forget. Readers will have to read what Mrs. Walker-Powell says about Dee to figure it out.

Sadly, there were many shortcomings of this title that negatively affected the book’s potential. There were many grammatical errors throughout the book, leading me to believe that professional editing did not occur. Another element that I disliked was that there was a lack of Bible verses in this memoir. The synopsis had me thinking that I would be reading many of them, but there were fewer than a dozen in the text. Some of the chapters had them sprinkled in, while others had none. I would have liked to see more Bible verses applied to the author’s situations and how she learned from them.

Because of the reasons listed above, I cannot rate How Did I Get Here more than 2 out of 4 stars. Despite the honest depictions, there are no vile sexual scenes or profanities in this book. I recommend this book to adults that have been through a difficult childhood and are looking for hope and peace. Jesus and church outings are described in some parts of the memoir, so readers offended by this type of content should not read it.

How Did I Get Here
View: on Bookshelves
"There is no try, only do."- Yoda
"If you can dream it, you can do it."- Walt Disney
“I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant,it is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are.”- Mewtwo
smolbird
2021 Reading Goal: 25
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smolbird.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by smolbird »

I find myself intrigued about how the author's journey after such horrible experiences. I'm glad to hear that she has found the strength to forgive those who wronged her and let go of the suffering they caused her. Thank you for the engaging review.
"It does not do well to dwell on dreams and forget to live." - Albus Dumbledore
Yvonne Monique
2021 Reading Goal: 35
Favorite Book: To Sleep in a Sea of Stars
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yvonne-monique.html
Latest Review: The crew of the HST DARČEK by Robert Marsolais

Post by Yvonne Monique »

Bible verses would be useful if that is what the author helped to overcome her difficulties, for sure. I think it is very brave of the author to write down her difficult life story.
MarianaFigueira
2021 Reading Goal: 200
Favorite Book: Tujunga
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice
Bookshelf Size: 155
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marianafigueira.html
Latest Review: Erin's Children by Eileen O'Finlan

Post by MarianaFigueira »

Thanks for the insightful review. It's a shame this book didn't come together very well, sounds like it had a lot of potential.
"No two persons ever read the same book" Edmund Wilson

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”