Review by Kayleigh_reads2021 -- The Mindset by Ace Bowers

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kayleigh_reads2021
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kayleigh-reads2021.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Review by Kayleigh_reads2021 -- The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by Kayleigh_reads2021 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Mindset" by Ace Bowers.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Mindset is a memoir from Ace Bowers, who is currently a Silicon Valley Millionaire. He dives straight into his difficult upbringing and the challenges he faced because of it. The unfairness of the world created a negative mindset for young Ace and he spiralled down to rock bottom, as a janitor. After a huge dash of unexpected motivation, he manages to pieces his life back together using pure willpower. He walks you through all of the thought processes and the tumultuous relationships that have moulded him. Being a decent person with a solid work ethic and tenacity can get you to some amazing places.  

In only 120 pages Ace explains his incredibly heart-warming and inspiring rise to success. He is entirely honest about the feelings conjured when you come from a background with alcoholic parents and he does not hold back. I found this refreshing and eye-opening to read. Ace does a brilliant job of expressing his absolutely unwavering drive to bring up his children in the best way possible and to not repeat the cycle of deprivation and sadness. This is a powerful notion that I believe many people can identify with. The chapters are set out in an unusual order but most of your questions are answered in the end and the whole time you know there is a millionaire happy ending to come.

Despite this, I feel as though one part was skipped over. You are left to assume that his parents also get a happy ending being good grandparents, perhaps for convenience. You get no closure on their addiction even though they could not have continued on the way they were. Considering this, this book is about Ace and not about them. Also, with the title The Mindset I thought there would have been more of a self-help aspect. This is definitely a memoir about someone else’s life to just inspire you, not to tell you step-by-step how to fix yourself.  

The Mindset deserves nothing less than 4 out of 4. It is exceptionally well edited; the monologue flows with ease. I enjoyed absorbing this book, every time I had a spare few minutes I would pick it up to find out a little bit more. It generates a belief that you can do anything you set your mind to. I only wish this book was longer! I wanted more.

This book is not fiction and may be triggering to some people as it does contain mentions to alcoholism and drug taking. However, I did find this book highly motivating. It will be perfect for anybody who wants perspective on how lucky they are, wishes to unlock their potential, or to simply read a heart-warming story about a man rising from rock-bottom to become a shining example of a modern success story, a true “overcomer.”

The Mindset
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Mariana Figueira
Favorite Book: Tujunga
Currently Reading: Cloud Atlas
Bookshelf Size: 215
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mariana-figueira.html
Latest Review: Mysteries Of the First Instant by Daniel Friedmann

Post by Mariana Figueira »

Beautiful review Kayleigh, well done
"No two persons ever read the same book" Edmund Wilson

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”