Official Review: I Love You All the Numbers

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Saint Bruno
2021 Reading Goal: 150
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saint-bruno.html
Latest Review: The farm by Frans Bijsterveld
fav_author_id: 2484

Official Review: I Love You All the Numbers

Post by Saint Bruno »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "I Love You All the Numbers" by Eschani Taylor.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I Love You All the Numbers: A Carer's Story by Eschani Taylor is a memoir about the author's experiences while caring for her sick husband. It is also a self-help book that seeks to prepare, inspire, and teach readers how to cope with caring for their sick loved ones.

In this book, the author recounts how she cared for her husband, Geoffrey, after he was diagnosed with dementia and heart disease. Geoffrey's condition continued to deteriorate, and he needed constant care and supervision. His dementia didn't make the author's job of caring for him any easier because Geoffrey was no longer as logical and loving as he used to be. In fact, logic was out of the window because Geoffrey seemed to be oblivious to the fact that he was making it hard for his wife to care for him. The author's story will equip readers with first-hand information on what to expect and how to cope with the exhilarating job of caring for loved ones with dementia.

The author uses the first-person point of view to tell her story throughout the book. I found that this style was necessary because it helped the author to pour out her innermost thoughts. What I liked the most about this memoir is the author's honesty. I love that she didn't try to make herself come out as strong or calm and compassionate all through. Considering she teaches others how to achieve their goals and more, one would expect her to present herself as always being on top of the situation. That is not the case here. There were times I was close to judging some of her actions, but I remembered how difficult it was to care for my late dad, whom we had nursed for eight nerve-wracking years.

I enjoyed the author's use of simple and easy-to-understand language to tell her story. Her narrations follow a linear timeline of events, which makes her story very easy to follow. I appreciate that she also tried to sprinkle some humor in her writing to lighten the reader's mood since the memoir is not one that promotes joy. Also, I like that the author kept the introduction of new names to the barest minimum because I didn't get confused about who was who at any point.

Furthermore, I appreciate the author's move to share this story. Her memoir is both relevant and insightful. I am sure many people will benefit from the "Insights" sections found in the book. In these parts, the author offers invaluable advice on ways to deal with similar events in her narrations. My favorite "Insight" is the one about taking the time to ask ourselves questions and being genuine with our answers. I found this exercise to not only clear up misplaced priorities but also foster self-empowerment.

To conclude, I thoroughly benefited from this book's sincere and relatable insights. I like that the book promotes seeking professional help for the psychological issues that may arise from caring for someone with dementia and other illnesses. Also, I must commend the author for showing why readers in a similar situation should take support groups seriously. Since there was nothing I disliked about this memoir, I am glad to rate it four out of four stars. It seems professionally edited but has a few errors that were not distracting. I highly recommend this book to readers caring for their loved ones suffering from dementia and other illnesses that affect their ability to be responsible for their well-being.

I Love You All the Numbers
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Reviewer100
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reviewer100.html
Latest Review: Awakening the Soul of Power by Christian de la Huerta

Post by Reviewer100 »

During the sick periods of our spouse, that is when they need our love the most.
raluca_mihaila
2021 Reading Goal: 60
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Twelve
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Mysteries Of the First Instant by Daniel Friedmann

Post by raluca_mihaila »

This is a skill we should all learn. It seems like a lovely memoir, and I enjoyed reading your emotional review. Great job!
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 158
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Dreaming Wide Awake by Charles R Hinckley

Post by Prisallen »

Taking care of someone with dementia is, indeed, a difficult job. Those people definitely need other people's support to make it through, and professional help can be useful. This sounds like a very informative book. Thanks for a great review!
Mvictoria
2021 Reading Goal: 35
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mvictoria.html
Latest Review: Anchor by Abby Falls

Post by Mvictoria »

Even though I don’t care for anyone, I feel like I could learn about gratitude and motivation from the “Insights” section. I also feel like this book is important to encourage others who are caring for a loved one to seek help!
Latest Review: Anchor by Abby Falls
Victoria Copsey
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-victoria-copsey.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Victoria Copsey »

Although not a book for me, this sounds like an interesting read. Thanks for your detailed review.
Sou Hi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 94
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sou-hi.html
Latest Review: Please Don't Tell Cooper He's A Dog by Michelle Lander Feinberg

Post by Sou Hi »

Thanks for your informative review. Taking care of a patient is never an easy job, and it will be even worse if that person is not very cooperative. The author must have had some hard time trying to deal with her life, but I appreciate her honesty and humor.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”