Official Review: Perilous Pills by Marilyn Beardsley Heise

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Sunshine at the Academy
Bookshelf Size: 369
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: Perilous Pills by Marilyn Beardsley Heise

Official Review: Perilous Pills by Marilyn Beardsley Heise

Post by kandscreeley »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Perilous Pills" by Marilyn Beardsley Heise.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Have you ever taken an antibiotic known as a fluoroquinolone? This would be Levaquin or most antibiotics ending in -floxacin. A few examples are ciprofloxacin, moxifloxacin, or gemifloxacin. If you have, did you have any adverse side effects? If not, you may be one of the lucky ones. Perilous Pills by Marilyn Beardsley Heise discusses this class of drugs, tells of their potential side effects, and gives the story of some who were injured by taking fluoroquinolones. It also gives tips on how to better protect yourself.

You might ask why the author decided to write on this subject. The author herself experienced adverse side effects after taking Levaquin for a minor sinus infection. She decided that others needed to be aware of this drug and its hazards.

Though I had heard of "floxies" and being "floxed" (as victims of this drug call themselves), I had never researched the subject in-depth. To me, the most shocking information was that fluoroquinolones may alter DNA. A mathematician named Joe King had his DNA analyzed, and they found "that fluoroquinolones and some metabolites were . . . attached abnormally to my DNA."

What I most appreciated about this book was the amount of research the author put into it. This subject isn't taken lightly or entered into willy-nilly. At the end of the book, the selected bibliography is pages upon pages. Within the book itself, there are numbers to click on after the author gives a piece of information. Once clicked, a box pops up that tells you the exact source for the material. If anyone would like to research the topic further, Ms. Heise has made it easy.

Also helpful are the tips the author provides. For example, she suggests reading the leaflet that comes with all prescriptions about any potential side effects. In addition, she suggests not taking any prescription medication that has been out for less than five years.

There were only a few small issues I came across. First, the information did become a bit repetitive. For example, she mentions several times that seniors take the most medications. Second, I found a few errors in the text. They were mostly minor typographical errors like a closing quotation without an opening one or capitalization errors. There were, though, less than ten.

All in all, Perilous Pills is informative and written well. The problems were minor and didn't detract from the enormous amount of work the author put into this. Thus, I rate it 4 out of 4 stars. Anyone who has taken or is considering taking antibiotics should read the book as well as everyone in the healthcare field. If you just can't stomach non-fiction, you probably won't be able to make it through this book; however, it is a short read (it has only 112 pages without the bibliography). I, for one, feel better informed after reading this book.

Perilous Pills
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Good books, like good friends, are few and chosen; the more select, the more enjoyable.
-Louisa May Alcott
AvidBibliophile
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Wrong Side of the Glass
Bookshelf Size: 319
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avidbibliophile.html
Latest Review: Control. by Kara Petrovic

Post by AvidBibliophile »

It’s alarming how some major classes of pharmaceuticals are later found to be inherently dangerous. Even since I was in medical school, some drug classes now have serious black-box warnings.
All of the informational leaflets with listed potential side effects are a double-edged sword, sometimes doing more harm than good. I’m glad to hear that this author was able to share her healthcare concerns and her experiences with antibiotics in an informational way.
Thank you for your well-prescribed review! 💊
Stephanie Elizabeth
2021 Reading Goal: 15
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 132
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Last Dance by Stephen Manning

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

As someone who has life-threatening allergies to some antibiotics, I have definitely been prescribed my fair share of fluoroquinolone antibiotics. I have been given moxifloxacin on several occasions, and I felt like I could barely function. The pills were terrifyingly powerful and had some pretty scary side effects; in my opinion, much worse than the symptoms of my sinus infection. While I am sorry that the author was adversely affected, I commend her for sharing her experience! So often, our doctors are quick to write a script and send us on our way, but they need to be educating their patients on what is going into their bodies. Thanks for the informative review!
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

AvidBibliophile wrote: 11 Jan 2021, 13:39 It’s alarming how some major classes of pharmaceuticals are later found to be inherently dangerous. Even since I was in medical school, some drug classes now have serious black-box warnings.
All of the informational leaflets with listed potential side effects are a double-edged sword, sometimes doing more harm than good. I’m glad to hear that this author was able to share her healthcare concerns and her experiences with antibiotics in an informational way.
Thank you for your well-prescribed review! 💊
I hope you're able to use your knowledge in a judicious way if you prescribe medicines. Antibiotics have a place, but most agree they are overprescribed. Thanks!
Good books, like good friends, are few and chosen; the more select, the more enjoyable.
-Louisa May Alcott
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Stephanie Elizabeth wrote: 11 Jan 2021, 15:14 As someone who has life-threatening allergies to some antibiotics, I have definitely been prescribed my fair share of fluoroquinolone antibiotics. I have been given moxifloxacin on several occasions, and I felt like I could barely function. The pills were terrifyingly powerful and had some pretty scary side effects; in my opinion, much worse than the symptoms of my sinus infection. While I am sorry that the author was adversely affected, I commend her for sharing her experience! So often, our doctors are quick to write a script and send us on our way, but they need to be educating their patients on what is going into their bodies. Thanks for the informative review!
I agree. Everything has their place, but there should be more judicious prescribing. Thanks.
-Louisa May Alcott
Abdulvahith
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Abdulvahith »

As someone who has life-threatening allergies to some antibiotics, I have definitely been prescribed my fair share of fluoroquinolone antibiotics. I have been given moxifloxacin on several occasions, and I felt like I could barely function. The pills were terrifyingly powerful and had some pretty scary side effects; in my opinion, much worse than the symptoms of my sinus infection. While I am sorry that the author was adversely affected, I commend her for sharing her experience! So often, our doctors are quick to write a script and send us on our way, but they need to be educating their patients on what is going into their bodies. Thanks for the informative review!
La_lama
2021 Reading Goal: 100
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice
Bookshelf Size: 27

Post by La_lama »

Woah! It really is interesting to analyse all the apparently harmless antibiotics that people used to use and it’s effects . People can be really nonchalant about the medicine they take . A lot of people don’t even consider the side effects. This seems like it’d be a very interesting and educational read.
AtienoMagero
2021 Reading Goal: 20
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-atienomagero.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by AtienoMagero »

This is a very informative book. I think readers can learn a thing or two from this book. Great review!
Gargoylegarden
2021 Reading Goal: 50
Currently Reading: The Senator's Suitcase
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gargoylegarden.html
Latest Review: When North Becomes South by Becky Bronson

Post by Gargoylegarden »

Thank you for reviewing this book. It's a challenge to take on such a technical book. Your review makes me wonder what time frame Ms. Beardsley would give for the covid vacine!
Yvonne Monique
2021 Reading Goal: 35
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yvonne-monique.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind by Matthew Tysz

Post by Yvonne Monique »

Wow, I never knew this, very interesting!
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

La_lama wrote: 12 Jan 2021, 02:32 Woah! It really is interesting to analyse all the apparently harmless antibiotics that people used to use and it’s effects . People can be really nonchalant about the medicine they take . A lot of people don’t even consider the side effects. This seems like it’d be a very interesting and educational read.
We definitely all need to research what we put into our bodies - medical or otherwise. Thanks for reading.
-Louisa May Alcott
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

AtienoMagero wrote: 12 Jan 2021, 07:48 This is a very informative book. I think readers can learn a thing or two from this book. Great review!
It's definitely worth reading. Everyone should read it if they can. Thanks.
-Louisa May Alcott
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Yvonne Monique wrote: 12 Jan 2021, 17:05 Wow, I never knew this, very interesting!
Yes, it's quite scary to be honest. Thanks.
-Louisa May Alcott
Sou Hi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sou-hi.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Sou Hi »

Thanks for your informative review. The wrong usage of medicines can result in very dangerous situations, as they are chemical. Still, I didn't know that antibiotics can alter one's DNA, let alone the fact that it can affect our genes in such a short time.
Kirsi_78
2021 Reading Goal: 30
Currently Reading: Where the Wings Grow
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kirsi-78.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by Kirsi_78 »

This is such an interesting and important topic. I think no pill medication should be taken lightly. However, there are situations when these little pills can actually save your life. I was always avoiding antibiotics because they tend to mess up your digestion and recovering from that takes forever. I’ve had a few situations when in my life when I was happy that these pills actually exist. Being cautious is good, and if this book provides good information (as it seems), then it is worth reading.

Thanks for introducing the book to us!

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”