Official Review: Parenting Memoir by Terrace V. White

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
RachelEmmanuel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachelemmanuel.html
Latest Review: Daddy’s Baby Mama’s Maybe by Come Lamore
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Official Review: Parenting Memoir by Terrace V. White

Post by RachelEmmanuel »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Parenting Memoir" by Terrace V. White.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

At the beginning of Parenting Memoir by Terrace V. White, the author notes that most parenting books are written by women, primarily for women. Parenting Memoir is different. Written by a single father, this book targets fathers, especially those who are the sole or primary caregivers of their children. The book is not a self-help book but rather a compilation of the author's experiences and wisdom gleaned from others, which the author intends to pass down to his own children.

Starting with the appalling statistics of children who have grown up without a father present in their lives, White exhorts fathers to take up their God-given position in the lives of their children. The author uses his own life, his challenges, joys, and struggles as a model to encourage other fathers who don't feel they can manage to raise their kids on their own.

The author relies on wisdom from the Bible to help him in difficult times. The book is full of Bible verses for every occasion to encourage, exhort, and strengthen parents struggling with parenting their children in a godly fashion.

From the moment I began reading the book, I liked the author. He came across as humble and earnest, not offering advice and judgment from a place of superiority, but rather sharing his life in an "if I can do it, so can you" manner. His earnest zeal for God and his compassion for both kids without fathers and fathers who don't know how to raise their kids touched my heart. I thought his Biblical knowledge was sound, and his tone was that of a cheerleader encouraging others across the finish line.

The author's story is compelling. From his own health issues to education, his kids' health, and a myriad of other issues, White does not shy away from baring his heart. I think any parent, single or otherwise, would gain much wisdom from what he has to say. As a parent myself, I feel that the book leaves you feeling encouraged in knowing that these struggles are universal and that you don't have to go through them alone.

Parenting Memoir is a well-edited book, As a parent, I identified with the author, and as a Christian, I appreciated his reliance on the Word. Although all parents would benefit from this book, I would most recommend it to Christian parents. There is nothing in this book I did not like. I rate it 4 out of 4 stars.

Parenting Memoir
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
1 Cor 15: 19-20, 26 If only for this life we have hope in Christ, we are of all people most to be pitied.
But Christ has indeed been raised from the dead...The last enemy to be destroyed is death.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”