Official Review: Guilty When Black by Carol Mersch

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Tomah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomah.html
Latest Review: Guilty When Black by Carol Mersch

Official Review: Guilty When Black by Carol Mersch

Post by Tomah »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Guilty When Black" by Carol Mersch.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The United States has witnessed massive upheavals in 2020 following incidents such as George Floyd's and Breonna Taylor's killings, but these are far from isolated events. It would be great to dismiss them as exceptions and believe that we have long surpassed the blatant discrimination and injustice from the past, but a quick historical examination reveals these conclusions to be naive at best and malicious at worst. Carol Mersch's Guilty When Black explores Oklahoma's judicial and law enforcement institutions, especially how they deal with minorities and marginalized groups, also serving as a starting point for understanding these topics on a national scale.

The book starts by following Miashah Moses, a black woman accused of second-degree murder after a fire killed her two nieces. We follow her and her family's tortuous journey through the trial, getting an intimate look at several systemic issues: how the poor cannot afford a proper defense, how personal and professional interests stand above duty, and how prisons crush any possibility of rehabilitation, among others.

Though Miashah Moses' case is a unifying thread tying various stories and themes together, it stands as a small part of broader social and historical phenomena. Throughout the book, especially during its second half, the author also examines the history and legacy of racial tensions (including the horrific Tulsa Race Riot of 1921), female incarceration, corruption scandals, and cases such as the shooting of Eric Harris in 2015.

As a nonfiction expert, Mersch uses her mastery of journalistic storytelling to craft an authentic and compelling piece based on five years of painstaking research and interviews. I particularly enjoyed the court battle at the end of Part 2, a series of climactic scenes that easily rival most legal thrillers. I also marveled at the author's ability to combine descriptive sentences with beautifully haunting prose: "Nearly a century later, the horror still runs silently through the streets of Tulsa and the halls of the Oklahoma judicial system. The nooses have long since left the trees, but their specters hang like ghosts in the halls of justice."

Guilty When Black is one of those rare pieces of nonfiction literature that feature powerful insights built upon meticulous research while still providing a rich, gripping narrative. Since the only negative aspects I could find were three minor errors, I rate the book 4 out of 4 stars. Anyone interested in the criminal justice system, structural discrimination, and the history of racial relations in the United States should give this book a try. Due to the author's focus on individual stories, readers interested in broader social research might want to look elsewhere for more analytical approaches. There are a few instances of profanities, racial slurs, and mentions of topics such as rape and domestic abuse, making the book more suitable for mature audiences.

Guilty When Black
View: on Bookshelves
Excel 2021
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-excel-2021.html
Latest Review: Living Forward After Loss by Kathleen Ho

Post by Excel 2021 »

Discrimination based on colour is a serious challenge. It is deep rooted and must be flushed out if we want progress. This author has done well.
itsjustriri
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by itsjustriri »

Discrimination against black people was very bad in 2020 and was not needed because everyone should be treated equally. I totally agree with the author of this book. Great job!
nwaobifrancesca
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nwaobifrancesca.html
Latest Review: Soul Seeker by Kaylin McFarren

Post by nwaobifrancesca »

It is good that such books are written. It continues to help provide a voice for the discriminated minorities in our world. Thanks for your review.
AtienoMagero
2021 Reading Goal: 20
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-atienomagero.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by AtienoMagero »

I really like your review. This book has a very interesting plot that I'm sure many readers will love. I love the fact that the book talks about very important issues. Fantastic review!
Chizioboli
2021 Reading Goal: 50
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chizioboli.html
Latest Review: Jesus, Prosperity Gospel and Poverty in Africa by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by Chizioboli »

A timely book I must confess. This is a typical occurrence that is currently happening in the America Today. 2020 brought out everything to light.
Dman_1996
2021 Reading Goal: 40
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dman-1996.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by Dman_1996 »

This book is prevalent in today's world, especially with all the injustices of black people in America. Books like this one should be read because it showcases how black people are treated when it comes to getting justice for the inequality they are experiencing. Thank you for this well-written review.
Annette M
Favorite Book: The Alchemist
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annette-m.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

Post by Annette M »

Discrimination should be frowned upon. Great review.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”