Official Review: Grammar for a Full Life: How the Ways We...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ruba Abu Ali
Currently Reading: Notes on a Nervous Planet
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruba-abu-ali.html
Latest Review: Grammar for a Full Life: How the Ways We Shape a Sentence Can Limit or Enlarge Us by Lawrence Weinstein

Official Review: Grammar for a Full Life: How the Ways We...

Post by Ruba Abu Ali »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Grammar for a Full Life: How the Ways We Shape a Sentence Can Limit or Enlarge Us" by Lawrence Weinstein.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

“The limits of my language mean the limits of my world.”— Ludwig Wittgenstein.

Grammar for a Full Life by Lawrence Weinstein is an unconventional grammar and personal development reference. It demonstrates how the ways we shape a sentence can limit or enlarge us. On a starting note, the author had taught writing at Harvard, from 1973 to 1983, where he co-founded Harvard’s Writing Center. He then joined the English Department at Bentley University, where he was, among other things, Director of Bentley’s Expository Writing Program.

With that in mind, I was clueless as to what this book would hold for me and was a little worried it would be a dry and purely academic read. How wrong yet pleasantly surprised I was!

Through the analogies and the revelations that the author made, one could find the answers to the common question of why to fret and fuss where language satisfies its basic, communicative function? Weinstein says, “Grammatical correctness of the trivial sort- epitomized by proper use of the apostrophe- serves us in the same way propriety works to our advantage in settings ranging from a track meet to a formal wedding: it helps us to obtain respect.”

Weinstein points out when to use the transitive verbs’ active voice, for we are not mere victims, and within certain limits, we remain the makers of our fate. Furthermore, he elaborates on the connection between punctuation and agency, which is the felt capacity to make things happen.

I particularly liked the correlation between grammar and mindfulness and how grammar comes into play in the various aspects of our lives, including freedom, sex, and death!

I also appreciated the author’s explanation of the subtle connection between the proper use of grammar and helping one become not just a better writer, but a better person and communicator. Who knew that a trivial action such as placing a comma or an exclamation mark could reveal so much about one’s character?

There is nothing I disliked about this book. Moreover, it is clearly professionally edited, as I did not come across any grammatical, spelling, or typographical errors. I think this book would appeal to a wide scope of readers. I’d recommend it to those who appreciate grammar and are keen on visualizing it in a new scope. Readers who want a fresh look on life and are on the quest of becoming better writers, as well as better persons, are bound to find in Grammar for a Full Life an enriching and thought-provoking read. It is, therefore, my pleasure to rate Grammar for a Full Life by Lawrence Weinstein 4 out of 4 stars.

On a final note, I reckon my stars were in alignment when I picked this book for review, for I drew an immense joy from diving into its lavish content. Weinstein’s words sum it up best; “If you care about fostering a sense of community between us- a sense of shared presence, don’t just write to me. In your writing, be that person who you are in the flesh.”

Grammar for a Full Life: How the Ways We Shape a Sentence Can Limit or Enlarge Us
View: on Bookshelves
Tablito
Favorite Book: The Mountain and The Goat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tablito.html
Latest Review: Divided World by Kenneth Pickering

Post by Tablito »

Interesting how unconscious acts like the use of a comma can tell alot about the character of an individual.
Mtibza eM
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mtibza-em.html
Latest Review: Am I Burned Out at Work? by Salar A. Khan MD, MBA

Post by Mtibza eM »

As a writer, I should definitely get this book. Ha! Ha! Lol.
KMGR70
Favorite Author: Jeff Menapace
Favorite Book: Bad Games
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kmgr70.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 23616

Post by KMGR70 »

I am definitely reading this one very soon! It already sounds similar to issues I fuss about constantly. I'll refrain from going into my own rant on the subject, for now, but am so glad to see your review. Thanks for picking that book!
Atieno Magero
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 145
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-atieno-magero.html
Latest Review: Stevie Tenderheart Books WAIT A MINUTE! (An Illustrated Novella) by Steve William Laible

Post by Atieno Magero »

Wonderful review! Your review has definitely changed my opinion of this book. I thought that it would be dry but it's far more interesting than I expected. I love how unique this book seems.
Shahina C A
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shahina-c-a.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Shahina C A »

I read many books about this topic. Wanna know what this particular book can offer me. Thanks for the review
Fozia RYK
Currently Reading: Scalpels Out
Bookshelf Size: 23

Post by Fozia RYK »

Your review is very interesting and after reading your review I would like to read this book also.
CConfounded
Currently Reading: The Rise and Fall of the Dinosaurs
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cconfounded.html
Latest Review: Jesus, Prosperity Gospel and Poverty in Africa by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by CConfounded »

I'm glad to hear that the book seemed professionally edited, Ruba Abu Ali; if there were grammatical errors in a grammar book, that would be quite the travesty.

It sounds like the book explored grammar in an engaging manner. Considering it is typically seen as one of the more boring aspects of the school curriculum, that's quite the accomplishment!
Ayora
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayora.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Ayora »

It is to be expected that a book on grammar should be free of grammatical errors. Thanks for a nice review.
cd20
Favorite Book: Hope Between the Pages
Currently Reading: Growing Slow: Lessons on Un-Hurrying Your Heart from an Accidental Farm Girl
Bookshelf Size: 823
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cd20.html
Latest Review: Now Unto Him by Melissa Huggins
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by cd20 »

I clicked over to read your review on this book because I have been trying to get my score higher on this site. My problem? Commas!!! It looks like the author does cover that, correct? It might be a GREAT idea for me to pick up a copy of this book and read it. Also, to learn what commas say about me, LOL!
Real life is dreadfully tedious, the way it interrupts reading. -Things We Didn't Say by Amy Lynn Green

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”