Official Review: Diabetes Beyond Numbers by Nuzhat Chalisa

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Standor5865
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-standor5865.html
Latest Review: The Road by William A Boyle

Official Review: Diabetes Beyond Numbers by Nuzhat Chalisa

Post by Standor5865 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Diabetes Beyond Numbers" by Nuzhat Chalisa.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Today, the number of people in the world suffering from diabetes has exceeded 400 million, and the number is expected to continue to rise over the next couple of decades. Numerous complications arise from diabetes, ranging from acute complications, like diabetic ketoacidosis, to chronic complications, like heart failure and stroke, which are life-threatening. Thankfully, a lot of research has gone into this disease, and we know more about it now than we knew in the past.

In her book, Diabetes Beyond Numbers: A Complete Guide To Understanding Diabetes Management, Nuzhat Chalisa MD, with two decades of experience working as a clinical endocrinologist, offers a detailed guide to help readers in understanding and managing diabetes and its complications.

As a community pharmacist that has counseled a lot of patients with diabetes, I have to say that I was excited to see how the author would present the lessons here. Considering that the message is well organized and detailed and simple language is employed to improve readers' understanding, I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. There are other reasons for my rating as well.

The author kicks off the book with a personal experience of how diabetes took her father's life and how this event served as an eye-opener and motivated her to start her nonprofit organization, Kisat Diabetes Organization, and offer this guide to readers. I could relate to her story, as my father has suffered from diabetes for a few years now, and I was thankful for the information discussed because I learned a few new things that will help.

From the book cover, which included pictures of a glucometer, an apple, vegetables, and sneakers, it was clear that the author's message would be in line with dieting and exercising. Also, it is refreshing to get a step-by-step discussion of everything I feel that a diabetic patient should know. Readers will get to learn about the different types of diabetes, types of glucose level tests and when to run these tests, and safe weight tracking and loss by employing the "Body Mass Index" (BMI), drugs, and surgical procedures. The author also takes the patients' financial capabilities and comfort into consideration in every aspect of managing this disease. I, personally, got to learn about different beneficial meal plans and that breastfeeding helps to reduce blood glucose levels. Also, it was reassuring to see that the author referenced the American Diabetes Association (ADA) while communicating the information in the book.

The book is heavy on pictures that illustrate most of the things discussed by the author. This was my favorite part of the book, and it was particularly important in areas where exercise methods were talked about, as readers will get to see exactly how to execute these methods. Furthermore, I found just two minor errors while reading through the text, and this gave me the impression that the book was professionally edited. I cannot think of any part of the book that I dislike or requires improvement. It is easy to read through Diabetes Beyond Numbers, as it is concise and spans just 144 pages. I would recommend this book to patients suffering from diabetes and their caregivers.

Diabetes Beyond Numbers
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
amrinzaeda
2021 Reading Goal: 12
Currently Reading: The Mindset
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amrinzaeda.html
Latest Review: One If by Carol B Allen

Post by amrinzaeda »

It’s wonderful that the author made such important and vital information easy to understand and accessible to those who need it most! Seems like Chalisa not only has a deep understanding of diabetes, but her patients and audience as well. Thanks for your insightful review!
Yvonne Monique
2021 Reading Goal: 35
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yvonne-monique.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind by Matthew Tysz

Post by Yvonne Monique »

This sounds like an essential book for people with diabetes or who find themselves in a high-risk group.
raluca_mihaila
2021 Reading Goal: 60
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: Return to Eternity
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: The Not So Great American Novel by James E. Doucette

Post by raluca_mihaila »

Considering the fact that diabetes is become a struggle for more and more people, the book is much needed. Also, it is very useful for prevention and cure, because type 2 can be reversed in the first stages. Congratulations for this insightful review!
Chizioboli
2021 Reading Goal: 58
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chizioboli.html
Latest Review: Jesus, Prosperity Gospel and Poverty in Africa by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by Chizioboli »

I love that your review is coming from a place of experience. Diabetes is a deadly disease and this cannot be connected because it brings in other diseases such as hypeetension, kidney and liver diseases to mention but few. However, the way we respond to it determined by how much we know about it. I can easily say this book is one of the useful and resourceful source of information we should all read based on your well detailed review.
Nqobile771
2021 Reading Goal: 30
Favorite Book: Happy Healing
Currently Reading: Wilderness Cry
Bookshelf Size: 177
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nqobile771.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by Nqobile771 »

Diabetes can be life-threatening and as a result, it needs to be properly managed. I think we all should read this book, whether one has diabetes or not because it is quite prevalent and affects us all in one way or another.
Documented history is a gift from the past to the future! - NqobileM
Reviewer100
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reviewer100.html
Latest Review: My Awakening: Living With A Chronic Health Condition by Judith Brown Ph.D, SWP

Post by Reviewer100 »

I feel the information about diabetes is for the aged; I hope the information will also benefit me.
Gior
2021 Reading Goal: 200
Favorite Book: The Lightening Thief
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gior.html
Latest Review: The King of May by Matthew Tysz

Post by Gior »

Thank you for your review. I cannot wait to read this book.
AtienoMagero
2021 Reading Goal: 20
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-atienomagero.html
Latest Review: Soul Seeker by Kaylin McFarren

Post by AtienoMagero »

Wonderful review! Your review has been helpful and provided me great insight about this book. This seems like a very useful and informative book.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”