Official Review: Sharing Common Ground

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Teele
2021 Reading Goal: 60
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teele.html
Latest Review: Sharing Common Ground by Mayor Billy Keyserling

Official Review: Sharing Common Ground

Post by Teele »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Sharing Common Ground" by Mayor Billy Keyserling.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

All fingers are equal, but some are more equal than others. This is a quotation from George Orwell's Animal Farm. This quote reminds us of a festering societal ill—inequality. Modern society is rife with various forms of prejudice, racism, injustice, and slavery. Sharing Common Ground by Mayor Billy Keyserling tackles inequality by enlightening hearts and minds.

Mayor Keyserling is a descendant of William Keyserling who managed to escape tsarist oppression in 1888. He lived in St. Helena with his family, where tens of thousands of formerly enslaved Africans also lived. This book described how President Abraham Lincoln made the proclamation that set all slaves free in 1863. In subsequent years, the freedmen worked hard with much success. They were able to establish schools and businesses. Gradually, they were attaining political and economic power. However, by the start of the 20th century, the Black codes came into effect. The freedmen were systematically subjugated to a more subtle form of slavery. Their right to vote was withdrawn. They were forcibly evicted from their lands, and much of their establishments were destroyed. Although modern civilization has made much progress in ensuring equal rights, prejudice and racism remain rooted in hearts and minds. What is the solution to this problem? The answer lies in the pages of Sharing Common Ground.

Mayor Keyserling wrote this book with much expertise and full knowledge of historical facts. His current position as a Mayor in the city of Beaufort lends credence to his ideas. As a Jew who happens to be dyslexic, he knows what discrimination means. Therefore, readers can trust his opinions.

The narrative was written in simple and clear language. This is what I love most about this book. It contains practical solutions for curbing prejudice. It constantly points out ways in which we all share common ground. It reminded me that others are important, regardless of color or gender, and together, we can make great achievements. I also learned about the positive influence of the Reconstruction Era National Historical Park, which was established by President Barack Obama in 2017. The author gives valid reasons why this historical park in Beaufort, South Carolina, is an ideal place to visit.

I would rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. It was professionally edited. The suggestions offered in the book were supported by proofs and facts. Its main theme encourages a moral cause. I have no dislikes about this book. I would recommend Sharing Common Ground to adults who are interested in promoting unity between Blacks and Whites and to students of history.

Sharing Common Ground
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Reviewer100
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reviewer100.html
Latest Review: Jesus, Prosperity Gospel and Poverty in Africa by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by Reviewer100 »

Truly when I read animal farm by George Orwell, I understood so much about inequality. But it was a great book. This book did some major work on the issue of inequality too.
MayorE
Currently Reading: Alibi island
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mayore.html
Latest Review: Alibi Island by SLMN

Post by MayorE »

It gladen’s me to know that there are still people willing to go as far as writing a book to prevent injustice like racism and discrimination. I look forward to reading this book. Nice review
Latest Review: Alibi Island by SLMN
Teele
2021 Reading Goal: 60
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teele.html
Latest Review: Sharing Common Ground by Mayor Billy Keyserling

Post by Teele »

Reviewer100 wrote: ↑09 Jan 2021, 00:34 Truly when I read animal farm by George Orwell, I understood so much about inequality. But it was a great book. This book did some major work on the issue of inequality too.
MayorE wrote: ↑09 Jan 2021, 04:06 It gladen’s me to know that there are still people willing to go as far as writing a book to prevent injustice like racism and discrimination. I look forward to reading this book. Nice review
Mayor Billy's book has a refreshing theme indeed. Thanks for commenting.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”