Official Review: Healing Depression by C. Daley

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Yvonne Monique
Favorite Book: To Sleep in a Sea of Stars
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yvonne-monique.html
Latest Review: Healing Depression by C. Daley

Official Review: Healing Depression by C. Daley

Post by Yvonne Monique »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Healing Depression" by C. Daley.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Depression is an illness that affects over 350 million people globally. Especially now, with the Covid-19 pandemic affecting people all over the world, depression is even more present than usual. Therefore, Healing Depression by C. Daley is being published at a very appropriate time. The book has a clear setup, explaining the reader what depression is, what causes it, how to heal depression and how to deal with relapses. C. Daley shares her own tips and tricks after having dealt with depression herself for many years. This self-help guide is particularly useful for people who are battling the first signs of depression. The author highly recommends seeking professional help if the person’s situation does not improve after some time.

I found the content of this book informative and helpful. Everybody feels low once in a while, but it is important to recognize when this feeling turns into a depression. Healing Depression gives us the tools to change a negative mindset and start improving our self-esteem. I liked how the author insisted on practicing positive thinking. This might not be easy at first, but it is important to persist and make a habit out of it. For example, she advises us to write down the positive things that happen in our life. If we check this list on a regular basis, we will be reminded that life brings us many good things. Additionally, the author gives us some great problem-solving advice in order to reduce the anxiety and depressive thoughts that unresolved problems can cause us.

Personally, I found this book too short. Depression is a complex disorder, and I feel that the 78 pages of the .epub version are not enough to address such a serious topic. Many subjects are barely given any thought, for example, how to deal with depression caused by the death of a loved one or after experiencing a life-changing event. I also missed more information on the nutritional deficiencies that can cause depression. Unfortunately, the author mentions this issue only very superficially. Furthermore, I believe that the book should mention the suicide helpline number.

The book definitely needs another round of editing. It was littered with grammatical, spelling and punctuation errors. It looked like the book was written in a hurry without any proofreading. The author should also revise the layout of the book as there are missing line breaks between paragraphs and too many hyphenated words. A thorough revision would guarantee a more comfortable reading experience.

Because of the number of errors and the shortness of the book, I rate Healing Depression 2 out of 4 stars. I do not give a lower score, because I enjoyed reading the useful tips and tricks that the author gives. I recommend this book to people who are dealing with depression or are prone to feeling low occasionally. I do not recommend this book to people who are looking for a scientific or medical handbook about depression.

Healing Depression
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Fabulous mind
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fabulous-mind.html
Latest Review: The Last Panda by L.Z. smith

Post by Fabulous mind »

Depression has been a major cause of several deaths due to suicide if not truly dealt with. However, I'm thankful the author put down this amazing book to help curb this psychological diagnosis.
Awesomeliker
Currently Reading: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-awesomeliker.html
Latest Review: The Demon of the Well by James B. Hendricks

Post by Awesomeliker »

Depression is a very serious topic so it's quite annoying that the book hasn't been well edited.
Thanks for the amazing review!
Live your life in a way that you won't look back and regret things :D
Mtibza eM
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mtibza-em.html
Latest Review: Am I Burned Out at Work? by Salar A. Khan MD, MBA

Post by Mtibza eM »

Depression is also Misunderstood and some people don't even know that they are living with it so they can't treat it. I am glad that this book tackles that and it will save livesm
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

Depression is a terrible disease, and this book might make a difference. On a happier note I must say that I love your picture, it always makes me smile and feel better :). Thank you for this honest review!
Faithy_Goody_Star
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faithy-star.html
Latest Review: Autism: One Grandparent's Roadmap by Geoffrey Robinson

Post by Faithy_Goody_Star »

The importance of tackling depression can't be over emphasised. I'm glad the author found the time to write on this and this would help people who need help.
Joan642
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joan642.html
Latest Review: Inspirations by Colleen by Colleen Bruce

Post by Joan642 »

This is a must read book for all, because everyone has someone that suffers depression. I totally agree with you that during this Covid-19 pandemic, the rate at which people took to depression was alarming. I believe a lot of people would help curb a little of it. Thanks for your honest review.
Eddy E
Currently Reading: In the Meantime
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eddy-e.html
Latest Review: Sena's Black Ross by Linda k jones

Post by Eddy E »

Depression is an illness that many people fail to diagnose and accept the fact that it can happen to anyone. The title "Healing Depression" is very relevant, as depression doesn't just go at once but is more of a gradual process.
This is a really good review. I can't wait to get started.
Yvonne Monique
Currently Reading:

Post by Yvonne Monique »

raluca_mihaila wrote: 11 Dec 2020, 06:34 Depression is a terrible disease, and this book might make a difference. On a happier note I must say that I love your picture, it always makes me smile and feel better :). Thank you for this honest review!
I am glad I'm able to make you smile :D . Reading & cats, my 2 passions :romance-hearteyes:
Yvonne Monique
Currently Reading:

Post by Yvonne Monique »

Eddy E wrote: 11 Dec 2020, 15:26 Depression is an illness that many people fail to diagnose and accept the fact that it can happen to anyone. The title "Healing Depression" is very relevant, as depression doesn't just go at once but is more of a gradual process.
This is a really good review. I can't wait to get started.
Thank you, I hope you enjoy reading the book!
Yvonne Monique
Currently Reading:

Post by Yvonne Monique »

Joan642 wrote: 11 Dec 2020, 12:24 This is a must read book for all, because everyone has someone that suffers depression. I totally agree with you that during this Covid-19 pandemic, the rate at which people took to depression was alarming. I believe a lot of people would help curb a little of it. Thanks for your honest review.
I know, it's so widespread, isn't it?! Thanks for commenting.
Yvonne Monique
Currently Reading:

Post by Yvonne Monique »

Faithy_Star wrote: 11 Dec 2020, 11:15 The importance of tackling depression can't be over emphasised. I'm glad the author found the time to write on this and this would help people who need help.
Exactly, hopefully many people will benefit from this book.
Yvonne Monique
Currently Reading:

Post by Yvonne Monique »

Mtibza eM wrote: 11 Dec 2020, 04:46 Depression is also Misunderstood and some people don't even know that they are living with it so they can't treat it. I am glad that this book tackles that and it will save livesm
Yes, some people might realise through this book that they are actually suffering from depression.
Yvonne Monique
Currently Reading:

Post by Yvonne Monique »

Awesomeliker wrote: 11 Dec 2020, 02:28 Depression is a very serious topic so it's quite annoying that the book hasn't been well edited.
Thanks for the amazing review!
You're absolutely right. Just a quick proofreading by somebody else would have eliminated most of the errors. Or maybe that's where the OBC reviewers come in handy :-).
Yvonne Monique
Currently Reading:

Post by Yvonne Monique »

Fabulous mind wrote: 11 Dec 2020, 02:12 Depression has been a major cause of several deaths due to suicide if not truly dealt with. However, I'm thankful the author put down this amazing book to help curb this psychological diagnosis.
I agree with you that this is an extremely important topic, especial in current times, and hopefully this book will reach many people.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”