Official Review: Exploring Spirituality in Photo and Verse

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Laura Ungureanu
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading: The Guardians of Erum and the Calamitous Child of Socotra
Bookshelf Size: 1392
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-ungureanu.html
Latest Review: Love and Marriage by Arthur Hartz

Official Review: Exploring Spirituality in Photo and Verse

Post by Laura Ungureanu »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Exploring Spirituality in Photo and Verse" by Arlene Goetze.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Exploring Spirituality in Photo and Verse by Arlene Goetze offers an insightful reflection into everyday spirituality through 65 photos and poems about virtues, ordinary actions, body, soul, and memories. The book is creative and actively involves the reader in exercises and meditations that bring inner peace.

My digital copy has 141 numbered pages, divided into five big chapters, each with a clear theme. The first one is about the innocence of children, while the second one is about ordinary things from our lives. Usually, the author wrote a few introductory words on the subject, adding a photo with a funny little poem. Prayers, meditations, exercises, and other poems often found their place on the pages. I was amazed by the way this book was organized, making each new page a discovery. The author shares ideas from many sources (giving credit, of course) and doesn’t rely solely on her own ideas, making this book a diverse experience.

I was truly interested in some of these topics, especially in the making of a Spirituality Box, which I found wonderful and creative. Other topics taught me lots of new things, like palming, praise dancing, and Earthing. I also discovered new things about old topics, like how people who text on their phones while walking are less likely to trip. The author will familiarize you with any topic, slowly changing the way you see the world. You will find lots of unexpected subjects that will make you think everything can be spiritual in life. As an example, I never would’ve thought that food shopping can be a spiritual activity.

My favorite part of the book was looking at the photographs. They were all taken by Arlene Goetze or her family members and were all black and white. The author’s mastery of photography was clearly showing, as some of the photos were fascinating by themselves. Another thing I enjoyed was the focus on women, which are praised and empowered through beautiful words and photographs.

Most of the book is written in verse, while some stories are in prose. I didn’t have a problem with it, but people who don’t like books in verse should probably stay away from this one. Concerning religion, the book mentions God, but mostly it refers to Him as ‘Divinity’ or ‘Creator’, which shows religion neutrality and makes this book appropriate for all religions.

As this was my first book about spirituality, I think that the reader could benefit from knowing some notions before going into it, for example, the meaning of reiki, which unfortunately is not explained in the book. For that reason, I don’t recommend it as an introductory book to spirituality. However, since I was able to enjoy it, I think the book is great for people who seek calmness in their lives. The author uses simple language and a soothing writing style, which makes the book perfect after a hard day at work. It’s better not to rush through this book but rather to savor it, taking enough time between pages.

Unfortunately, I found more than ten grammar errors in this short number of pages, which means it’s up for another round of editing. The errors were barely noticeable, as they consist mostly of missing commas or added full stops. The book contains absolutely no profanity or violence, rendering it safe for all ages. The number of errors forced me to take a star away from this wonderful book, thus giving it 3 out of 4 stars.

Exploring Spirituality in Photo and Verse
View: on Bookshelves
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

It looks like an educational book for everyone. Too bad for the mistakes that forced you to drop a star. Great review!
Faithy_Goody_Star
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faithy-star.html
Latest Review: Autism: One Grandparent's Roadmap by Geoffrey Robinson

Post by Faithy_Goody_Star »

The exercises container in this book makes it an interesting and practical read. Nice review
Fabulous mind
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fabulous-mind.html
Latest Review: The Last Panda by L.Z. smith

Post by Fabulous mind »

This book seems to be an interesting one. I like how practical it appears. I'm sure it would make a great read. Thanks for an amazing review.
Rashfordmbe10
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rashfordmbe10.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Rashfordmbe10 »

I’m glad to know that the five big chapters that comprise the book carry an evident theme.
AvidBibliophile
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Gold Digger
Bookshelf Size: 480
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avidbibliophile.html
Latest Review: How I Became Santa Clause by Chris Kringle

Post by AvidBibliophile »

A blend of creative photographs and meditative exercises would surely produce an insightful collection of introspective reflections. 📷
Thank you for sharing such a helpful analysis of this one!
Anusha Thatavarthi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anusha-thatavarthi.html
Latest Review: The Blandford Fly by D.N. Moore

Post by Anusha Thatavarthi »

It sounds unique and interesting. Thanks for the great review!
Gloria Letago
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gloria-letago.html
Latest Review: The Roving Mind: A Modern Approach to Cognitive Enhancement by Anthony Simola

Post by Gloria Letago »

Great review, makes one get a picture of what the book is all about even before reading it.
Fozia RYK
Currently Reading: Scalpels Out
Bookshelf Size: 23

Post by Fozia RYK »

Thanks for sharing such an insightful review. A mix of inventive photos and thoughtful activities would without a doubt deliver a sagacious assortment of contemplative reflections.
Wekesa Namuyonga
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wekesa-namuyonga.html
Latest Review: Soul Seeker by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Wekesa Namuyonga »

I would love to know more about the spirituality box. Thanks for the detailed review.
Atieno Magero
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 145
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-atieno-magero.html
Latest Review: Stevie Tenderheart Books WAIT A MINUTE! (An Illustrated Novella) by Steve William Laible

Post by Atieno Magero »

Wonderful review! Your review has been helpful and provided me great insight about this book. I really like the concept of this book. It's creative and deals with an important subject matter.
Upeksha
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-upeksha.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Upeksha »

Seems like an interesting book with a lot of powerful insights. Thanks for the in-depth analysis!

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”