Review by Cazrichmond -- Underdog Thinking by Atul Vir

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Caroline Anne Richmond
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: The Little Book of Bad Intentions
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caroline-anne-richmond.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Review by Cazrichmond -- Underdog Thinking by Atul Vir

Post by Caroline Anne Richmond »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Underdog Thinking" by Atul Vir.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

A true story of successes, hardships and betrayal is described in Underdog Thinking by Atul Vir. This non-fiction memoir of the author’s life tells a fascinating story containing a vast amount of knowledge and guidance relevant to all entrepreneurs. Equally, the book is suited to any reader who enjoys a captivating and honest life story.

The author grew up in India, attending a military boarding school, and he fondly reminisces the teachings of King Solomon’s Mines. On completion of his studies, he takes an interview for a London based import-export business. Much to his surprise, he is immediately deployed to Nigeria to investigate financial corruption within the organisation. This early job opportunity enables him to settle in Africa and develop a successful business life. Unfortunately, this business is destroyed by a military coup d’état and the following financial ruin of the country.

With the sorrow of this loss, Atul heads west to America with his family. He struggles with being an American immigrant and experiences many failed job interviews, with the resounding opinion that he has no clue about American business. With months of rejection, a clear and risky idea is born. He decides to start his own business and find out if America is the land of opportunities. After researching the major cities of America, he decides Houston, Texas, is where his family will settle, with its warm weather reminding him of his beloved routes in India.

From start to finish, this book is a captivating story, describing a very interesting life. The author includes lessons and rules that have helped shape his business, Equator Advanced Appliances, and provides a fascinating journey through different continents. I enjoyed the parts where he remembers his school education in India and how these fond memories are so important to him. His early studies of King Solomon’s Mines obviously encouraging him to go out into the world to discover the treasures it offers. The author displays a great sense of adventure in his approach to life.

Equally, I enjoyed the descriptions of the exotic places the author has visited. It is nice to read about his enjoyment of different cultures, scenery and food in places such as China, Africa and India. Within this descriptive account of his pursuit to build a successful business, he includes all the lessons he has learned along the way and shows his tenacity in dealing with all the obstacles thrown at him. It is a very honest account of the lows and highs in the journey to achieve his goal, with vivid details of the emotional burden this journey puts on him and his family.

The book is a page-turner, including betrayals and bad fortune. The sheer amount of hard work, despite several knockdowns, is to be commended, and it left me in admiration of the strength of character of the author. I was also on the edge of my seat at the bravery of forging ahead when the consequences could be so risky.

The author’s mantra for business is that ethics, innovation, and excellence are the future. He also states that everything should be done for the greater good of the customer and the world in which they live. He promotes a greener way to manufacture technology and understands the requirements of customers not only in the western world and in developing countries as well. I liked this philosophy, and the world would be a better place if all businesses shared the same view.

I enjoyed this book; I learned a lot from it and was surprised to find a gripping story in an educational book. I found no spelling or grammar mistakes, so I rate it 4 out of 4 stars. It doesn’t contain any profanity or sexual content and is suitable for adults who are budding entrepreneurs or just enjoy a great story about a person striving to accomplish a dream. Prepare to be taken on a journey of highs and lows throughout the book and finish it never underestimating an underdog.

Underdog Thinking
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”