Official Review: Snipories by Gerald A. Thornhill Jr.

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
RachelEmmanuel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachelemmanuel.html
Latest Review: Daddy’s Baby Mama’s Maybe by Come Lamore
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Official Review: Snipories by Gerald A. Thornhill Jr.

Post by RachelEmmanuel »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Snipories" by Gerald A. Thornhill Jr..]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Life is a series of little events that, in time, became your story. The choices you make, the people you encounter, and the lessons you learn along the way all make up the beautiful tapestry that is your life's journey. Gerald A. Thornhill Jr has a unique name for these little bites of time. He calls them "snipories."

Snipories is a delightfully humorous, sometimes hard-hitting, and thought-provoking book that details events in the author's life containing hidden life lessons. Using the acronym LEDRSHHIP (no, it's not misspelled), Thornhill shares life experiences that taught him such virtues as loyalty, empathy, and duty.

I liked the author's self-effacing tone: he is not reticent to share personal details about disappointments or failures in areas of his own life. However, the primary purpose of the book is to build up the reader, a sort of boot camp for the soul. The author is a Christian, and he puts a great deal of emphasis on knowing Christ as Savior and explaining how that helped shape him. As a Christian myself, I understand how important this is, and I appreciated how candid he is about his faith. His knowledge of the Bible is impressive, and the sincerity of his motive for writing the book comes through clearly.

One thing I really liked about the book was the author's use of little known quotations by, and anecdotes about, well-known personalities. The book reads like a memoir, but the addition of these little stories and quotes adds perspective to the narrative. I also enjoyed the use of allegory, modern parables, and even an occasional poem to get his point across. Not that the memoir itself was boring in any way. The author clearly has led a full life and is able to chronicle it in an interesting and often humorous way.

One thing I did not particularly like in the book is that when the author gets exceptionally passionate about a specific topic, he tends to go off on a little bit of a rant. While I understand and appreciate his zeal for righteous living, I think his point comes across more powerfully when his approach is less heavy-handed.

Overall, I thought Snipories was a well thought out, witty, self-help type of book. The book seems to be professionally edited and contains no profanity or sex. It is suitable for all readers; however, it would be better suited to Christians or those interested in understanding the power of Christianity in turning a life around. Despite the occasional rant, I enjoyed the book very much, and I rate it 4 out of 4 stars.

Snipories
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
1 Cor 15: 19-20, 26 If only for this life we have hope in Christ, we are of all people most to be pitied.
But Christ has indeed been raised from the dead...The last enemy to be destroyed is death.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”