Official Review: Secondary Break by Marvin Williams Sr.

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kibetious
Previous Member of the Month
2021 Reading Goal: 70
Currently Reading: Prevent Cancer
Bookshelf Size: 1344
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibetious.html
Latest Review: Ehndale's Defeat by DA Cassidy

Official Review: Secondary Break by Marvin Williams Sr.

Post by Kibetious »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Secondary Break" by Marvin Williams Sr..]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Secondary Break: An NBA Dad’s Story was authored by Marvin Gaye Williams Sr. It is a forthcoming memoir chronicling the journey of the writer from a dysfunctional family background to the basketball court. The book is approximately 140 pages long and comprises fourteen fascinating chapters. Its crux is life should consist of intentional decisions. All people should pursue their passions doggedly. This lesson is portrayed perfectly in the author’s life.

Marvin Williams was born in New York in 1964. They lived in Legion Street, and he vividly describes how life was back then. His parents adored him, but this love was not expressed openly. There were constant brawls between his father and mother, though, and would force him and his siblings to stay at his aunt’s place. Fortunately, he discovered his consuming passion for basketball and instantly put his all into the game. He was prepared to undertake whatever it took to improve his skills. This was clearly evident when he improvised bicycle rims to use as hoops at home. Further, he teamed up with friends and agreed to bear the cost of lighting the park, so they could play at night.

The author revealed not only his remarkable journey in the basketball courts but also his love and family life. I admired his straightforward honesty and vulnerability to share the lessons he had learned. He never neglected his family and was ready to sacrifice rare opportunities to be there with them. His story with his family demonstrates how parenting will inevitably affect how a child will later express love. What I liked most, however, is how he poured himself into his son. He carefully taught him what he had accumulated over the years and watched him as he developed his own wings and soared higher. Eventually, his son stepped into the Promised Land that he had seen from afar.

The author powerfully conveys an important and fundamental concept that our lives consist of the split-second decisions we make. Like a basketball game, that decision contains the ability to influence our lives and those around us. Another fundamental lesson that cannot be underrated is turning challenges into avenues for growth and forming formidable relationships. When the author was attempting to pass his swimming and flotation tests in the Navy, his teammates did not abandon him. In the same way, when the coach grew tough whenever they lost some matches, they capitalized on the opportunity to bond more while completing their assigned tasks.

There is nothing I disliked about the book. The PDF version I read contained editorial notes and comments. Most of the errors had been corrected and as follows I am certain the other versions have been professionally edited. As a result, I rate the book 4 out of 4 stars. It is a story of resilience and passion. All ardent readers of memoirs will enjoy poring over it.

Secondary Break
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes
​​​​​​He gives strength to those who are tired; to the ones who lack power, he gives renewed energy :techie-studyinggray:
GianKosi77
Favorite Author: M. Curtis McCoy
Currently Reading: Divided World
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-giankosi77.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler
fav_author_id: 197138

Post by GianKosi77 »

I love memoirs because they are full of insights. I would love to read Secondary Break because i want to understand how to "turn challenges into avenues for growth and forming formidable relationships."
And a highway will be there; it will be called the Way of Holiness.
Unique Ego
2021 Reading Goal: 50
Currently Reading: The Demon of the Well
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unique-ego.html
Latest Review: The Tales of Little Lady M by Diego Di Mauro

Post by Unique Ego »

Marvin's story is encouraging. It is proof that we can all escape the band hand life has dealt us. I'd love to read how he does this in his own life.
Eutoc
2021 Reading Goal: 25
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eutoc.html
Latest Review: Hire Right, Fire Right by Roxi Bahar Hewertson

Post by Eutoc »

There seems to be a lot of meaningful lessons to pick up from this book. Thanks for recommending.
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Kat H
Currently Reading: Last Words from Above
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kat-h.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Kat H »

Kibetious, Because of your review of the book, Secondary Break, by Marvin Williams, Sr., and high praise of this author, I am intrigued to add this book to my list of must-reads.

The title did not initially grab my interest, but in scanning your review, I discovered that it details a family journey of overcoming odds stacked against them. Yours is one of the most excellent reviews I have read.

In your review, you mirrored the passion and articulate nature found in this author by pulling together an amazing thread of his journey to draw other would-be readers. You spoke of the honesty and vulnerability Mr. Williams was willing to share to paint an important portrait of honor and faithfulness and to never neglect his family no matter the challenges.

I learned from your review that his story demonstrates how parenting will inevitably affect how a child will later express love. From his experience, others may also realize that our lives consist of split-second decisions which change challenges into opportunities for bonding and growth that will turn into a lasting family legacy.

I look forward to reading Secondary Break with the depth you were able to portray in your review.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”