Official Review: Sticks and stones by Ambrose Martin

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ria710
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 115
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ria710.html
Latest Review: love my hair by A M Colman

Official Review: Sticks and stones by Ambrose Martin

Post by Ria710 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Sticks and stones" by Ambrose Martin.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Sticks and Stones: A Childhood Memoir by Ambrose Martin takes us on a journey through Ambrose’s childhood. Growing up, Ambrose didn’t have a lot. His family of nine lived in a one-bedroom house. Technically, it’s a two-room house because they put a wooden partition in the middle to create a bedroom. The book shows us the good and bad experiences Ambrose has had growing up in poverty.

I enjoyed reading this book a lot. We are taken into Ambrose’s world, and we get to see how life was for him living in poverty. The author writes all his good and bad experiences and leaves nothing out. I like how the book reads like a conversation. We get to understand his thoughts and feelings. This made me feel closer to the author. Everything was described with so much detail that I felt like I was there with the family.

My favourite part of the book was all the moments the siblings played together. Despite not having any toys, they still made the most of what they had, and they never complained. For example, they turned their little brother’s pram into a go-kart.

Furthermore, I felt many types of emotions whilst reading. Sometimes I would laugh out loud, and sometimes I felt like crying. It made me be grateful for what I have, and I realised that I took the small things for granted. E.g., having lights in the house and an indoor toilet. These are things Ambrose’s family didn’t have.

It’s honestly inspiring reading how close their family were. They were inseparable and loved one another immensely. It teaches readers that you don’t need materialistic things to make you happy.

The one thing that I didn’t like about the book was that at times the story moved slowly, and it felt like it was dragging. Other than this, everything else was great. The book didn’t take long to read because it’s only 219 pages long.

Overall, I would rate this book 4 out of 4 stars because I enjoyed reading it thoroughly. I found three mistakes, so it is professionally edited. There’s one graphic scene that involves slaughtering a cow. There are also some instances of abuse and bullying, so if you are sensitive to these topics, then avoid reading the book. I would not recommend it to young readers. This is a great book for those you enjoy reading memoirs.

Sticks and stones
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
raluca_mihaila
2021 Reading Goal: 60
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Broken (The Lost Words: Volume 2)
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: The Trafficking Murders by Brian O'Hare

Post by raluca_mihaila »

Thank you for your inspiring review! I feel so much happier and content with what I have.
Vannaskivt
Currently Reading: The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes
Bookshelf Size: 803
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vannaskivt.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by Vannaskivt »

Memoirs that are reminiscent of childhood are always interesting. The added aspect of poverty and how it may actually end up instilling resilience is always an inspirational read. Thanks for the great review.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”