Official Review: Leaders by CW5 Issac D. Smith Jr

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 402
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: Chase Found Grit by Jeanne Evelyn

Official Review: Leaders by CW5 Issac D. Smith Jr

Post by Cecilia_L »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Leaders" by CW5 Issac D. Smith Jr.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In Leaders: And What They Need, CW5 Issac D. Smith, Jr., examines the role of the 21st-century leader and how it has changed. Among the highest-ranked Army chief warrant officers, Smith draws from his military training and career expertise, stating: "...people only follow someone they can trust." Therefore, he emphasizes the value of building trust, "extreme discipline," teamwork, confidence, and endurance. Smith stresses that leading by example is an ongoing process, and he offers insight into leadership qualities that apply to both the military and corporate sectors.

The 39-page handbook is concise, organized, and professionally edited. Although I read the informative guide in one sitting, it contains enough content to use as a reference resource. In an acrostic-like format, Smith cleverly starts each chapter with a verb beginning with a letter from the word "leaders," including lead, engage, assign, develop, encourage, respect, and support. Despite the book's brevity, Smith poses many questions to engage readers and encourage creative thinking. He effectively supports his thoughts with research, polls, and surveys. Smith also refers to theories like psychologist Bruce Tuckman's 5 stages of development: forming, storming, norming, performing, and adjourning. Additionally, Smith discusses how the disciplines learned during military training can be applied to businesses, and he provides helpful suggestions for motivating employees.

In the same vein, I particularly like Smith's practical examples for applying leadership skills, such as playing to co-workers' strengths and effectively designating tasks. In one chapter, he contrasts the difference between micromanagement and appropriate follow-up. In another example, Smith provides tips for encouraging employees. Regarding the pandemic, he addresses how it has affected working remotely, operational strategies, and the necessity for secure wireless connections. I also appreciate Smith's focus on teamwork, respect, and support.

Although some readers may not be fans of the book's short length, Smith manages to convey insight and encouragement in the quick read. I honestly can't name anything I dislike or suggest any improvements. I also noted that it is quite reasonably priced; those preferring not to pay $10 for a book under 40 pages may be more willing to part with $3.

It is my pleasure to rate Leaders: And What They Need 4 out of 4 stars. Smith's concise guide is easy to assimilate, and I recommend it to anyone desiring to build strong leadership skills or cultivate them in others. It will also appeal to readers with military careers or backgrounds. The book contains no profanity.

Leaders
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
GianKosi77
Favorite Author: M. Curtis McCoy
Currently Reading: Divided World
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-giankosi77.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler
fav_author_id: 197138

Post by GianKosi77 »

Am amazed that such a short book (39 pages only) is so resourceful. I want to enhance my leadership skills and this book a good read for me. Thank you for a splendid review.
And a highway will be there; it will be called the Way of Holiness.
RHD
2021 Reading Goal: 30
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rhd.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

Post by RHD »

A quick but thought-provoking read. This one seems like a must read. Good job on the review 👌
Ada Ling
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ada-ling.html
Latest Review: Underdog Thinking by Atul Vir

Post by Ada Ling »

"The 39-page handbook is concise, organized, and professionally edited." - Looks this is going to be a short and quick read. Can not agree more on building trust. Thank you for introducing this one.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

GianKosi77 wrote: 27 Nov 2020, 07:27 Am amazed that such a short book (39 pages only) is so resourceful. I want to enhance my leadership skills and this book a good read for me. Thank you for a splendid review.
Thanks for your comment.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Ada Ling wrote: 27 Nov 2020, 11:35 "The 39-page handbook is concise, organized, and professionally edited." - Looks this is going to be a short and quick read. Can not agree more on building trust. Thank you for introducing this one.
You're welcome. I appreciate your comment.
Unique Ego
2021 Reading Goal: 50
Currently Reading: The Demon of the Well
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unique-ego.html
Latest Review: The Tales of Little Lady M by Diego Di Mauro

Post by Unique Ego »

Many books on leadership are usually long, repetitive, and bulky. I like that this one is a short and concise read. It'll make it easier to digest the author's experience and leadership nuggets
Vannaskivt
Currently Reading: The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes
Bookshelf Size: 803
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vannaskivt.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by Vannaskivt »

Sometimes a short and succinct book on leadership is what is needed to introduce people to the concepts. This sounds like a well laid out book that covers a wide range of leadership qualities with examples. Thanks for the great review.
tawongaL
2021 Reading Goal: 96
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tawongal.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind by Matthew Tysz
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by tawongaL »

Being in the 21 century, it is true that the meaning of leadership has changed. Having read this review, i am encouraged that there is a book that is there to help the upcoming leaders. This review being amazng in itself also amplifies the book to us the readers.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”