Official Review: Last Dance by Stephen Manning

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jachike Samuelson
2021 Reading Goal: 70
Currently Reading: Of Zots & Xoodles
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jachike-samuelson.html
Latest Review: Silva's Soldiers by Katie Simmons

Official Review: Last Dance by Stephen Manning

Post by Jachike Samuelson »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Last Dance" by Stephen Manning.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Last Dance by Stephen Manning is a memoir highlighting the joys and sorrows of his adult and family life with his wife, Mary Ann Manning. This book recounts their 37-year-journey together and the hurdles they faced. Mary Ann was diagnosed with breast cancer, and her loss was greatly felt and described in this book. Last Dance is a lovely account of the special bond between Stephen and Mary Ann, starting with their meeting at the corporate firm where they both worked. This book is full of moments that will make you cry and laugh. It will also rekindle your appreciation for the gift of life.

Dealing with the loss of a loved one can be overwhelming, but a good way to get through it is by celebrating the times spent with them. I'm glad that the author documented these precious moments. I really think with this book, Mary Ann's memories are forever preserved.

What I liked most about this book was Mary Ann's selflessness as it reminded me of my mother. She was a stay-at-home mom and devoted all her time and attention to her family. The love and care she bestowed upon her children proved beyond doubt that she was indeed a loving mother. What ticked me off the most was the circumstances that led to her death. I was annoyed to discover that Mary Ann's cancer could have been avoided, but I won't say more to avoid giving too much away. This was the only thing I didn't like about the book.

The author showed his great sense of humour, and I had a few laughs at his witty comments and little jokes while reading the book. I assumed that this was going to be a depressing read, but his humour lightened the mood and tone of the story. Also, I appreciated that the book didn't contain any serious instances of profanity, making it suitable for a wider range of readers.

Last Dance was very emotional for me. A mother's love is truly the strongest driving force, and this became increasingly evident as I read. I should warn you, though, if you're a cry-baby, it'll be best to have a box of tissues handy.

I believe this is a book everyone should read. Besides the story, Manning did a great job with the writing and editing. I didn't find any clear-cut errors. This shows that the book was professionally edited. Owing to this story's inspirational nature, professional editing, and the author's humour, I rate it 4 out of 4 stars. I would recommend it to everyone who loves inspirational true-life stories.

Last Dance
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Nqobile771
2021 Reading Goal: 30
Favorite Book: Happy Healing
Currently Reading: Wilderness Cry
Bookshelf Size: 177
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nqobile771.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by Nqobile771 »

We should cherish the short life we get to experience with our loved ones and create beautiful, long-lasting memories. Stephen and his children were thoroughly loved by Mary Ann. Amazing review!
Documented history is a gift from the past to the future! - NqobileM
Vannaskivt
Currently Reading: The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes
Bookshelf Size: 803
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vannaskivt.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by Vannaskivt »

Every once in a while we all need a solid cry. Since the world is a little crazy right now, I don't feel I need anything to bring me further down. But when I do, I'll remember this story and save it. Thanks for a great review.
Stephanie Elizabeth
2021 Reading Goal: 15
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Last Dance by Stephen Manning

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

This sounds like a heart-wrenching read--rife with emotion. Despite the somber topic of death, I like that the author was able to highlight the good times. Thanks for the lovely review!
Dman_1996
2021 Reading Goal: 40
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dman-1996.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by Dman_1996 »

I read this book and it was fantastic. Did is a tear-jerker kind of book because you follow Stephen and Mary Ann's love story, right up until she passed away. Congrats on doing a well-written review for this book.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”