Official Review: Hollowed by Annamarie Ibrahim

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Nqobile771
Favorite Book: Happy Healing
Currently Reading: Wilderness Cry
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nqobile771.html
Latest Review: Sell Montana by Steve Gilreath

Official Review: Hollowed by Annamarie Ibrahim

Post by Nqobile771 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Hollowed" by Annamarie Ibrahim.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Hollowed is a beautifully written memoir by Annamarie Ibrahim. An internationally acclaimed inspirational speaker and trainer, a wife, and mother. The author takes us through her life’s journey as a resilient woman who has had her fair share of adversities.

On one fateful day, while delivering a motivational speech, she collapsed on stage and woke up at a local hospital. From that day on, her health took a different turn. The doctors diagnosed her with Sweets syndrome, and life as she knew it had to change in order for her to survive. While the family was still focused on her condition, Annamarie’s husband was diagnosed with cancer and began his treatment journey. Shortly thereafter, Annamarie’s condition deteriorated, and she was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. To stop the spread of cancer, she had to undergo surgery that left her literally hollowed. The surgery was a success; she recovered well and found a way to cope with her new normal. Tragedy struck again, and Annamarie lost her son.

The title of the book intrigued me, and I wondered why the author chose the title Hollowed. As I read through the pages, I found the title to be fitting. Annamarie was hollowed, both physically and spiritually. The ordeals she and her family went through are enough to drive one to insanity. Yet like dust, she continues to rise. The author’s humorous spirit and demeanor subtly shine through each chapter. I enjoyed the sprinkles of humor as they made reading this emotionally charged book pleasant. I liked the cheerful, resilient, and positive outlook of the author. From the first chapter to the last, the book exudes love. Annamarie loved her family deeply, and this was clear.

The events in the book were arranged chronologically. The structure and layout of the chapters enabled the book to flow seamlessly. The author’s explicit explanations and detailed descriptions allowed me to picture the different places they visited.

I came across only one instance of minor profanity and a few typos and grammatical errors. These did not deter me from understanding or enjoying the book. There was nothing I disliked about the book.

This book is inspirational and offers wisdom. I recommend it to readers who have experienced a traumatic event, adversities, or a loss of any kind. They will relate to this book, find comfort, and view grief from a unique perspective. Because of the errors in the book, I am awarding it a rating of 3 out of 4 stars.

Hollowed
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Documented history is a gift from the past to the future! - NqobileM

Abi_kanda
Currently Reading: Cynthia and Dan
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abi-kanda.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Abi_kanda »

I read the author's name as Ann Marie, I don't even know why(who am I kidding :D ). That aside, this book seems too sad for me. It's like calamity after calamity. Nice review though :techie-reference:

Sou Hi
2019 Reading Goal: 1
Currently Reading: Gunner's Leap
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sou-hi.html
Latest Review: Guarding Doors by James G Davis

Post by Sou Hi »

Thanks for your detailed review. What a dreadful live Mrs. Annamarie has experienced. I hope her family would be able to over their hardships, and with their optimism, I guess things will turn out well.

Saint Bruno
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Milli Mermaid’s PEARL OF WISDOM
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saint-bruno.html
Latest Review: Collateral Damage by Ed. Jan Hawkins
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Saint Bruno »

Life is not an easy journey. I am glad that this author continued to remain strong. Thanks for the well-written review and recommendation.

Nqobile771

Post by Nqobile771 »

Abi_kanda wrote:
23 Nov 2020, 20:04
I read the author's name as Ann Marie, I don't even know why(who am I kidding :D ). That aside, this book seems too sad for me. It's like calamity after calamity. Nice review though :techie-reference:
It is quite a heavy read but it is so beautifully written, you're left wanting more. Thanks for stopping by!

Nqobile771

Post by Nqobile771 »

Saint Bruno wrote:
25 Nov 2020, 07:30
Life is not an easy journey. I am glad that this author continued to remain strong. Thanks for the well-written review and recommendation.
She did! I admire her resilience and tenacity. Thanks for reading my review.

Nqobile771

Post by Nqobile771 »

Sou Hi wrote:
23 Nov 2020, 21:34
Thanks for your detailed review. What a dreadful live Mrs. Annamarie has experienced. I hope her family would be able to over their hardships, and with their optimism, I guess things will turn out well.
She sounds like a positive soul. I also wish her and her husband more strength. Thanks for reading the review.

Ayindelaw
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayindelaw.html
Latest Review: The Commander by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Ayindelaw »

Hi Nqobile,
Annamarie was hollowed out both literally and figuratively. How she managed to infuse this book with humor still beats me. I think she has earned the right to be a motivational speaker. I'd definitely add this book to my shelf.

I like this: "Documented history is a gift from the past to the future! - NqobileM"
Innovations are usually the result of desperate times

NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 162
Currently Reading: Navigating New Normal Book One Environmental Rescue
Bookshelf Size: 184
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: On the Trail of the Ruthless Warlock by Lynne Armstrong-Jones

Post by NetMassimo »

A lot of people have to face diseases that strike suddenly, changing their lives. Knowing that they're not alone and there's a way out can make a big difference. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo

Nqobile771

Post by Nqobile771 »

NetMassimo wrote:
26 Nov 2020, 07:47
A lot of people have to face diseases that strike suddenly, changing their lives. Knowing that they're not alone and there's a way out can make a big difference. Thank you for your great review!
Life is unpredictable but with the right people by our side, we can pull through. Thanks for taking the time to read my review!

SamaylaM
Currently Reading: The Making of a National Hero
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samaylam.html
Latest Review: Where Do I Go from Here? by Torrey C. Butler

Post by SamaylaM »

I love it when the book title you first read slowly shows its meaning through the book in a seamless way. Sounds like an inspirational read. Thanks for the lovely review!

Nqobile771

Post by Nqobile771 »

SamaylaM wrote:
27 Nov 2020, 01:47
I love it when the book title you first read slowly shows its meaning through the book in a seamless way. Sounds like an inspirational read. Thanks for the lovely review!
The one-word title is befitting! It tells a story before you even turn a page. Thanks for reading the review!

diana lowery
2019 Reading Goal: 40
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 60
Currently Reading: Lord of the Flies
Bookshelf Size: 189
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-diana-lowery.html
Latest Review: Honest Endings by Katherine Cullen
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by diana lowery »

I connected with the author just from reading your review. I would love to hear this woman speak. I have never heard of Sweets disease.

Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: Create the Life You Want by Raymond P. Gerson

Post by Ellylion »

The title is very catchy for sure! :) I love memoirs and a touch of humor is very much appreciated. Thank you for a great review!

Kibetious
2019 Reading Goal: 70
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 70
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 49
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1280
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibetious.html
Latest Review: Secondary Break by Marvin Williams Sr.

Post by Kibetious »

The author seems to have undergone extremely harrowing experiences. Her vulnerability to share her life to help others is commendable. Thanks for the fascinating review.
​​​​​​He gives strength to those who are tired; to the ones who lack power, he gives renewed energy :techie-studyinggray:

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”