Official Review: Nobody's Perfect by Marlene Resnick Simons

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
unamilagra
Previous Member of the Month
2019 Reading Goal: 20
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 245
Currently Reading: The Explosive Child
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unamilagra.html
Latest Review: Nobody's Perfect by Marlene Resnick Simons
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: Nobody's Perfect by Marlene Resnick Simons

Post by unamilagra »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Nobody's Perfect" by Marlene Resnick Simons.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Parenting is a difficult job. With two kids of my own, one of whom would be considered “strong-willed,” I am no stranger to parenting books. Therefore, I was delighted to get a chance to review Nobody’s Perfect: Parenting in a World of Change by Marlene Resnick Simons. Nobody’s Perfect is a concise, approachable book for those looking to improve their parenting skills and increase the odds that their kids will grow to be happy, kind, and well-adjusted people in today’s modern world.

The book is written in a nonjudgmental, friendly manner. The author emphasizes that perfection is not needed in parenting, but parents do need to have a good understanding of the job description, so to speak. She states that her “goal is for parents to become wise guides rather than CEOs or commanders.” She emphasizes that authoritarian parenting styles are not conducive to teaching children to make good choices on their own, leading instead to rebellion and sneakiness. By modeling the behavior and values we want to see our kids reflect, loving and supporting our kids unconditionally, even when they go through questionable phases, and including them in appropriate conflict resolution strategies rather than attempting to bend them to our will, we will provide them with the tools to become responsible adults.

I really liked that the author came from a place of expertise when writing this book. She has a Master’s degree in family studies and is a credentialed parent educator with experience as a director of foster care and counseling services. She presents many eye-opening points that I hadn’t found in other parenting books. For example, she points out that unless they have a relevant educational background, most parents never take a course in child development. This lack of education leads to misunderstandings and conflict which could be avoided if parents had a better understanding of their children’s developmental stages and abilities. Because toddlers and preschoolers typically display strong verbal skills, parents mistakenly assume that their logic and self-control are on a similar level. Therefore, parents often believe children misbehave due to naughtiness or disrespect rather than realizing they themselves have unrealistic expectations of their children’s abilities.

Although there were many helpful ideas in this book, I found that in some areas it lacked depth. There were several times when the author would make an interesting point, and just as I was getting ready to learn more, she would move to another subject. The author often mentioned common mistakes that parents make but was vague about the best alternatives. I would have loved to see more details about some of the points the author was making or some real-world examples of how to put some of her strategies into action. I would also have liked to see the book spend a little more time on older kids, as most of it was geared toward children ages 2 to 5.

The book was well-written overall. It flowed well, the tone was positive, and I noticed very few errors. I found a lot of the ideas helpful, and I rate it 3 out of 4 stars. If it went into a little more depth on some of the methods of changing parental behavior and avoiding common pitfalls, I think it would earn a perfect score. I would recommend this book to new parents and anyone who is committed to the idea of moving away from an authoritarian style of parenting.

Nobody's Perfect
View: on Bookshelves

Vannaskivt
Currently Reading: The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes
Bookshelf Size: 801
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vannaskivt.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Vannaskivt »

I'm a parent and I've certainly felt this way so many times. Am I going to ruin my kids if I don't everything perfectly? Sounds like a great book to pick up and share with mom friends of mine as well. Thank you for your review.

Pearl Akpan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pearl-akpan.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind by Matthew Tysz

Post by Pearl Akpan »

I’m not a parent in fact, considering my age i’m very much still a kid but I feel a sort of resentment sometimes for my parents lack of understanding of the need to be parents not authoritarians. You don’t automatically become a super hero devoid of flaws as a parent, you’re still human and that’s okay.

I’m really curious to read the detailed content of this book because one thing I learned was that you cannot train every child the same way because everyone is very different and so are the peculiarities of training them.

Thank you for a well detailed review. This is awesome!

Tonze
Currently Reading: Don't Sweat the Small Stuff
Bookshelf Size: 70
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tonze.html
Latest Review: Battlemind by Michael Waddington

Post by Tonze »

I am a parent and this book sound to be useful. Parenting is somehow difficult , I think we need to pay attention to every detail on our children's steps and help them through each stage they pass by increasing a good communication with them. So as I am always striving to be a good mother,this book is a must read. Thanks for the detailed review! Congratulations to the author

Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: Create the Life You Want by Raymond P. Gerson

Post by Ellylion »

Well, abruptness and shifting from subject to subject can be tiresome for sure. I don't have kids, but I think the book can still be useful for those who have them or word with them :) Thanks for a great review!

unamilagra

Post by unamilagra »

Vannaskivt wrote:
19 Nov 2020, 11:40
I'm a parent and I've certainly felt this way so many times. Am I going to ruin my kids if I don't everything perfectly? Sounds like a great book to pick up and share with mom friends of mine as well. Thank you for your review.
Yes, I think all of us have the same worries! Thanks for commenting!

Pearl Akpan wrote:
19 Nov 2020, 12:37
I’m not a parent in fact, considering my age i’m very much still a kid but I feel a sort of resentment sometimes for my parents lack of understanding of the need to be parents not authoritarians. You don’t automatically become a super hero devoid of flaws as a parent, you’re still human and that’s okay.

I’m really curious to read the detailed content of this book because one thing I learned was that you cannot train every child the same way because everyone is very different and so are the peculiarities of training them.

Thank you for a well detailed review. This is awesome!
Thanks for your comment!

Tonze wrote:
22 Nov 2020, 05:01
I am a parent and this book sound to be useful. Parenting is somehow difficult , I think we need to pay attention to every detail on our children's steps and help them through each stage they pass by increasing a good communication with them. So as I am always striving to be a good mother,this book is a must read. Thanks for the detailed review! Congratulations to the author
Thank you for stopping by to comment!

Ellylion wrote:
26 Nov 2020, 13:10
Well, abruptness and shifting from subject to subject can be tiresome for sure. I don't have kids, but I think the book can still be useful for those who have them or word with them :) Thanks for a great review!
Yes, it asbolutely could! Thanks for commenting!

Saint Bruno
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saint-bruno.html
Latest Review: Birth of a Unicorn by Heather Wilde
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Saint Bruno »

I concur with your observations. It's not easy to be a parent! Thanks for the detailed and insightful review and for introducing the book to me.

raluca_mihaila
2019 Reading Goal: 50
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: My Name is Red
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: The Tales of Little Lady M by Diego Di Mauro

Post by raluca_mihaila »

As a parent, your opinion is much more valuable. Thank you very much for your honest review!

Eutoc
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eutoc.html
Latest Review: Murdering the macho managers by Ben reuben

Post by Eutoc »

It's a good thing the book suited you. I hope it successfully exposed you to a lot more on parenting. Thanks for the review.
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Saint Bruno
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saint-bruno.html
Latest Review: Birth of a Unicorn by Heather Wilde
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Saint Bruno »

I also from at that kind of incongruous switches from one subject to another. The book makes up for that in other aspect, though. Thanks for the insightful review and recommendation.

unamilagra

Post by unamilagra »

Saint Bruno wrote:
27 Nov 2020, 03:41
I concur with your observations. It's not easy to be a parent! Thanks for the detailed and insightful review and for introducing the book to me.
Thanks for commenting!

raluca_mihaila wrote:
28 Nov 2020, 10:54
As a parent, your opinion is much more valuable. Thank you very much for your honest review!
Thank you for your comment!

Eutoc wrote:
01 Dec 2020, 16:15
It's a good thing the book suited you. I hope it successfully exposed you to a lot more on parenting. Thanks for the review.
Thanks for stopping by!

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”