Official Review: From Hate to Love by Frank J Donohue

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 399
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: Life Behind Bars Vol. 1 by Julian Starks

Official Review: From Hate to Love by Frank J Donohue

Post by Cecilia_L »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "From Hate to Love" by Frank J Donohue.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

"No matter where you are and where you have been, you can start not hating. Everyone is capable of not hating"; this is the central theme of Frank J. Donohue's transformative guide, From Hate to Love: A Spiritual Journey to Heal. In a world that is divided among partisans, races, and families, Donohue addresses the hatred that has become socially acceptable. He draws from both his wife's and his own brush-with-death experiences, contrasting the spiritual, mental, and physical consequences of hating versus the benefits of loving.

The 77-page guide is professionally edited and contains one instance of borderline profanity; Donohue cites the famous quote by the character, Rhett Butler, in Gone with the Wind. Donohue provides brief histories and descriptions of various religions. He explains that despite their differences, they agree on choosing love over hatred. Interestingly, just as hatred may take a physical toll on the body, choosing to love helps manage stress and reduce depression. At the end of the book, Donohue includes a "Trinity for Me" prayer featuring fill-in-the-blank portions for the reader's personalization.

Donohue quotes Socrates and cites examples of Jesus practicing love and forgiveness. He makes the interesting point that members of hate groups are often seeking acceptance and become united through socially acceptable hatred. I most like the way Donohue encourages readers to progress from hatred to love to philanthropy. He offers various suggestions, such as giving to charities, volunteering time, or even providing a meal.

On the other hand, I dislike the fear-based portions of the book. While many religions share a holy fear of God based on reverence and respect, Donohue's descriptions of "burned and blackened scars" of human souls may trigger sensitive readers. Also, some Christians may be uncomfortable with Donohue's exercise that encourages readers to imagine Lucifer at a party where "everyone is there to love, honor and glorify him." Although I understand his attempt to illustrate how he projects positive feelings toward someone he hates, Donohue's imaginary scenario seems directly opposed to biblical examples of Jesus's interactions with Lucifer. Additionally, the book contains repetitious content; the same paragraphs appear on more than one page.

Overall, I rate From Hate to Love 3 out of 4 stars. Despite the previously mentioned issues, Donohue delivers a much-needed message that will resonate with readers of various religions, especially Catholics. He frequently refers to teachings of the Roman Catholic Church, such as praying to Mary, purgatory, and excerpts from Fátima prayers.

From Hate to Love
View: on Bookshelves

Slater678
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-slater678.html
Latest Review: Empowered by Dominica Lumazar

Post by Slater678 »

This is an inspiring book in a world filled with hate. Thanks for the enjoyable review.

Nelson Lyric
2019 Reading Goal: 15
Currently Reading: Kalayla
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nelson-lyric.html
Latest Review: Genex of Halcyon by Joshua Stelling

Post by Nelson Lyric »

The central theme.
"No matter where you are and where you have been, you can start not hating. Everyone is capable of not hating" kikes things running for me.

This review is on point. It has elevated my intrest in flipping the pages of this book. Thanks for this awesome review.
Simplicity is the Voice of My Personality :no-spoil:

Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Slater678 wrote:
17 Nov 2020, 05:58
This is an inspiring book in a world filled with hate. Thanks for the enjoyable review.
Thanks for your comment.

Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Nelson Lyric wrote:
17 Nov 2020, 16:24
The central theme.
"No matter where you are and where you have been, you can start not hating. Everyone is capable of not hating" kikes things running for me.

This review is on point. It has elevated my intrest in flipping the pages of this book. Thanks for this awesome review.
You're welcome. I appreciate your comment. :tiphat:

Pearl Akpan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pearl-akpan.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind by Matthew Tysz

Post by Pearl Akpan »

The title itself embodies the major theme of this book which is giving up hatred for love. And as a Christian if there’s anything I can reckon with, it’s the message of love. Imagine what the world would be if we put our prides asides and let love lead. Although easier said than done, consistently working towards being more loving will yield compounding results in time.

Thank you for your commitment to rendering a precisely wonderful review!

Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Pearl Akpan wrote:
19 Nov 2020, 07:41
The title itself embodies the major theme of this book which is giving up hatred for love. And as a Christian if there’s anything I can reckon with, it’s the message of love. Imagine what the world would be if we put our prides asides and let love lead. Although easier said than done, consistently working towards being more loving will yield compounding results in time.

Thank you for your commitment to rendering a precisely wonderful review!
You're welcome. Thanks for your comment. :tiphat:

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”