Official Review: The Enemy in the Mirror

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Official Review: The Enemy in the Mirror

Post by kandscreeley »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Enemy in the Mirror" by Constance D. Dixon.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Are you dealing with addictions or desires of the flesh which you can't get a grasp on? Do you examine yourself and find yourself lacking? In The Enemy in the Mirror: A Journey Worth Fighting For, Constance D. Dixon encourages Christians to reflect on their character and let God direct their path.

Starting with prayer, Ms. Dixon explores the Bible, using scripture to point us to Jesus. She not only scrutinizes the lives of biblical heroes, but she also reflects on her own life and past experiences. All of this helps us to determine how our lives stack up and if we are truly following the Jesus of the Bible.

I enjoyed the scriptures that the author dives into. Sometimes, she even breaks it down into the original Greek or Hebrew to give more meaning. For example, did you know the Greek word translated "sin" in the Bible means "to miss the mark"?

The author isn't afraid to step on toes, which is sometimes needed. She makes it clear that many churches today aren't biblical. This may lessen the readership of the book, but it was an aspect I enjoyed.

Unfortunately, I found the organization of the book lacking. The book felt like a conglomeration of the author's thoughts with no real rhyme or reason as to what was placed where. At one point, Ms. Dixon starts listing the steps for conversion. The first is "repent." We then head down a rabbit hole which may have contained the other steps somewhere along the way. It would have been much more succinct - especially for those not already familiar with these steps - if the author had continued to list these in italics as she did the first.

Along the same lines, the author uses some interesting vocabulary. Words like "lissome" and "abettor" grace the pages. She also seems to prefer the King James Version of the Bible, which is more difficult to understand. While not necessarily a problem, the reader does need to be mindful of this.

Further muddying the waters, the book is far from professionally edited; it hasn't even been carefully proofread. Periods were missing between sentences, but other sentences would have a period and a comma after them. Some sentences would be incorrectly truncated with a period in the middle. Letters in words were missing, and tenses were incorrect. "Jesus promised that He will give you rest This rest begets brings hope just as the Scripture states in Romans 6:14." Sadly, these errors even appeared in the scriptures.

To summarize, The Enemy in the Mirror: A Journey Worth Fighting For is a thought-provoking work. Ms. Dixon invites us all to evaluate our lives. After all: "It is our thoughts, deeds, actions, and beliefs that serve as a signpost as to what type of Christians we are to the unbeliever." However, this can't be truly enjoyed until an editor fixes not only the grammatical issues but the organizational problems as well. As such, I give it 2 out of 4 stars. I recommend it to Christian believers that want a deeper walk with Christ, but this is only for those with an open heart and mind. The author is firm in what she believes and doesn't beat around the bush.

The Enemy in the Mirror
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Diana Lowery
Currently Reading: The Exchange
Bookshelf Size: 343
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-diana-lowery.html
Latest Review: The Witchdoctor Paradox by Barry Tyrrell
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Diana Lowery »

"Some sentences would be incorrectly truncated with a period in the middle. " I love this description of the grammatical errors, and I applaud your perseverance in reading such a book.
Miller56
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miller56.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited

Post by Miller56 »

Thanks for the review. I think I will wait until this book has been edited before reading it. When I am distracted by the editing, it takes away from the story. It also sounds like this has some good content, but needs to be organized to make more sense.
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

diana lowery wrote: 19 Nov 2020, 23:08 "Some sentences would be incorrectly truncated with a period in the middle. " I love this description of the grammatical errors, and I applaud your perseverance in reading such a book.
Sometimes these things just flow out from me. 😁 I always hope to help the author create a better product. Thanks.
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Miller56 wrote: 20 Nov 2020, 10:48 Thanks for the review. I think I will wait until this book has been edited before reading it. When I am distracted by the editing, it takes away from the story. It also sounds like this has some good content, but needs to be organized to make more sense.
I understand. The author does have good points to share, but the editing definitely needs work.
—Neil Gaiman
Saint Bruno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saint-bruno.html
Latest Review: The vampires missing cape by Steve Stables
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Saint Bruno »

Thought organization is very important in nonfiction books. Otherwise, the reader suffers. I believe there are salient points to away from the book regardless. Thanks for the honest review.
Kenesha Latoya Fowler
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: The Magician's Secret
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kenesha-latoya-fowler.html
Latest Review: Stevie Tenderheart Books - Billy Jack (The Great Escape) by Steve William Laible

Post by Kenesha Latoya Fowler »

It's encouraging that the author doesn't beat around the bush and isn't afraid to step on toes when talking about such a sensitive topic. Unfortunately, the errors you pointed out are a turnoff. Still, I like the sound of this one and would definitely give it a read after it has been properly edited. Thank you for a great review.
"No one is ever satisfied where he is," said the switchman.
~from The Little Prince by Antoine De Saint-Exupéry~
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Saint Bruno wrote: 21 Nov 2020, 02:05 Thought organization is very important in nonfiction books. Otherwise, the reader suffers. I believe there are salient points to away from the book regardless. Thanks for the honest review.
I agree with everything you said. Thanks!
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Kenesha L Fowler wrote: 21 Nov 2020, 03:40 It's encouraging that the author doesn't beat around the bush and isn't afraid to step on toes when talking about such a sensitive topic. Unfortunately, the errors you pointed out are a turnoff. Still, I like the sound of this one and would definitely give it a read after it has been properly edited. Thank you for a great review.
The author makes good points that are worth reading. I just wish it was edited. Thanks.
—Neil Gaiman
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

Great work with the review! I appreciate your honesty and the details that help the reader very much. It seems like a an intriguing book, at least!
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

raluca_mihaila wrote: 24 Nov 2020, 08:22 Great work with the review! I appreciate your honesty and the details that help the reader very much. It seems like a an intriguing book, at least!
It definitely has potential. I'm always looking for ways to deepen my faith. This one just needs some editing. Thanks.
—Neil Gaiman
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Post by Ellylion »

I would definitely read this book, and do hope the author fixes all the issues soon! How interesting is that "sin" means "to miss the mark"! Wow. Thanks for a great review!
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Ellylion wrote: 26 Nov 2020, 13:25 I would definitely read this book, and do hope the author fixes all the issues soon! How interesting is that "sin" means "to miss the mark"! Wow. Thanks for a great review!
Yes, there are great points in the book. The author just needs to do some editing. Thanks.
—Neil Gaiman
Nmesoma
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nmesoma.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by Nmesoma »

Thanks for the review, I always love to read inspirational texts. Really appreciate you pointing out the errors. I hope the author fixes that.
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Nmesoma wrote: 26 Nov 2020, 14:56 Thanks for the review, I always love to read inspirational texts. Really appreciate you pointing out the errors. I hope the author fixes that.
It has some great insights. It does need to be further edited, though. Thanks.
—Neil Gaiman

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”