Official Review: Rape, Revolvers & Ropes

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
lavenderbooks20
Currently Reading: Dancing Under The Stars
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lavenderbooks20.html
Latest Review: Counterplay by Dennis Norman

Official Review: Rape, Revolvers & Ropes

Post by lavenderbooks20 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Rape, Revolvers & Ropes" by James Ferrell.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

On the evening of August 6, 1930, a young couple went for a drive around the streets of Marion, Indiana. While parked at the Lover’s Lane, three African-American teenagers stealthily approached their car. Armed with a revolver, they took what little cash the couple had, shot the white man, and raped his female companion. This incident elicited a virulent reaction among the local people. The following night, a vengeful mob of white men and women stormed the Grant County Jail in which the perpetrators were held and took it upon themselves to exact justice.

Rape, Revolvers, and Ropes by James Ferrell is a historical account of the brutal lynching of two black teenagers in 1930 after their involvement in the murder and rape of two white individuals. Motivated by curiosity and will to uncover the truth, the author spent seventeen years studying and compiling newspaper articles, old photographs, and court records to make accurate documentation of these events.

I liked that the author didn’t shy away from the details. There are vivid descriptions of violence, obsolete derogatory terms, and sensitive photographs that evoke feelings of pain, rage, and horror. Another favorable aspect of this book is the arrangement. In the prologue, the author prepares the reader on what to expect and how they may react in response to the sensitive contents. He also reassures that unfiltered contents are necessary to present the past as it was, raw and honest. I loved the tone of the author in this prologue. There are also a few pages narrating his experience while researching and acquiring resources that interestingly felt like I was following a protagonist in a movie. Each chapter has a proper title, and there are photographs of the places from which the events took place to better aid one’s imagination. Moreover, the book has a reference section, which is a great thing in case anyone might need further clarification or research.

The author also did an amazing job of examining race relations in this small town in the 1930s. Symbols of racism in newspaper ads and direct quotes from people in this era will give you a sense of how blatant and prevalent racism is at the time. The sheer reality of it all is appalling.

The subject matter is a very controversial one. Without carefully reading the material, one may see things in black and white and miss the gray areas in the narrative. Only upon thorough reading and much contemplation did I find these gray areas. With that, I appreciated the author’s impartiality by presenting conflicting testimonies, challenging readers to develop their own opinions.

Since there is nothing I dislike about this book, my rating would be 4 out of 4 stars. I did not award it a lower rating because it is well-executed and well-researched. It also appeared to be professionally edited because I found no errors in it. The author writes in a clear, engaging tone. In the height of all the tension, I was so engrossed it almost felt like I was reading a novel rather than a non-fiction book.

All in all, this has been a compelling, thought-provoking read. I recommend this to anyone interested in history, as this would make a good reference material. Readers sensitive to graphic violence should proceed with caution. There is a photograph of two young men hanging from a tree that isn’t for the faint of heart. Naturally, I would not advise kids to read this book.

Rape, Revolvers & Ropes
View: on Bookshelves

Eutoc
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eutoc.html
Latest Review: Murdering the macho managers by Ben reuben

Post by Eutoc »

The title of the book summarizes the entire story. The rawness of the narrative was really needed to project how gruesome those acts are. Thank you for recommending.
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Saint Bruno
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saint-bruno.html
Latest Review: Birth of a Unicorn by Heather Wilde
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Saint Bruno »

Sounds like the people were tired of long trials and law jargon that they decided to mob the perpetrators. Thanks for the insightful review and recommendation.

Stephanie Elizabeth
2019 Reading Goal: 40
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 140
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: You, Me and Destiny by J.F McLoughlin

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

Wow; this is a raw book, complete with heavy-hitting topics. While it sounds like the author has crafted a compelling and well-researched story, I don't think I can get behind reading something so dark right now. Thanks for the amazing review.

Sou Hi
2019 Reading Goal: 1
Currently Reading: Gunner's Leap
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sou-hi.html
Latest Review: Guarding Doors by James G Davis

Post by Sou Hi »

Thank you for your interesting review. This looks like an honest book that bravely addresses the racist issue of the US. The last book I review was also built based on this matter, but luckily things turn out well there.

Pearl Akpan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pearl-akpan.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind by Matthew Tysz

Post by Pearl Akpan »

This book provokes a lot of controversial thoughts in me. I’m pleased to see the dedication of the author to capturing the details with precision. It is what gives originality to any non-fiction. I’m very intrigued and I’m adding this to my bookshelf as history like this, helps give insight as to the present.

Thank you for being committed to rendering a wonderful review!

Leroy2017
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by Leroy2017 »

The raw book sound well written. it's tittle speaks it all. And I think I need to find out more . Thanks for the compelling review

Leroy2017
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by Leroy2017 »

The raw book sound well written. it's tittle speaks it all. And I think I need to find out more . Thanks for the compelling review

Sararob06
Currently Reading: Anna Karenina
Bookshelf Size: 160
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sararob06.html
Latest Review: Followers of Lightning by Charles Bentley

Post by Sararob06 »

This book seems to do the sensitive subject matter justice. It's a difficult story and from your review I can tell it's been well researched. I'm adding it to my shelf TBR. Thank you for your insightful review!

raluca_mihaila
2019 Reading Goal: 50
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: My Name is Red
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: The Tales of Little Lady M by Diego Di Mauro

Post by raluca_mihaila »

It seems like an intense but educational book. Thank you for your insightful review!

Honest-reviewer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-honest-reviewer.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind by Matthew Tysz

Post by Honest-reviewer »

I appreciate the author’s courage to write about such a sensitive topic. This seems very intense. I’m not sure whether I would like to read this or not. Nonetheless, great review. Thanks!

sanjus
2019 Reading Goal: 21
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 100
2018 Reading Goal: 25
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 56
Currently Reading: Charles' Story
Bookshelf Size: 375
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanjus.html
Latest Review: The Roving Mind: A Modern Approach to Cognitive Enhancement by Anthony Simola
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by sanjus »

This one sounds like a interesting story with premise of jail break to take revange against the culprits who had committed rape and murder. Thanks for your thorough review of this book, giving us the necessary insights.
life is only knowing the unknown, we can do this by reading books easily- I believe this is my own quote. If someone quoted this before I am glad to know.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”