Official Review: Setting the Record Straight

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jachike Samuelson
2019 Reading Goal: 12
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 91
Currently Reading: Of Zots & Xoodles
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jachike-samuelson.html
Latest Review: Feats of Truth by KB Wells Jr

Official Review: Setting the Record Straight

Post by Jachike Samuelson »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Setting the Record Straight" by James R Brant.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Christian faith has never been under as much scrutiny as it is today. Many known figures such as Richard Dawkins, Robert Pennock, Dr. Douglas Futuyma, Victor J. Stenger, and other atheists have done much work in antagonizing Christianity and its beliefs. In Setting the Record Straight, James R. Brant brings us the remedy to this affront. He accosts their intellectual fallacies one by one and "sets them straight." In this book, Brant begins by addressing hot-button issues like God's measures of reproof as depicted in the Old Testament, abortion, gender equality, slavery, and the Trinity. He then addresses the case for God's existence, the validity of miracles, the origin of life, and much more. This book is a repository of information that shows the veracity and authenticity of the Christian faith.

A few pages in, I didn't appreciate what I presumed to be a spiteful tone. But as I continued to read, I realized that the author wasn't trying to be spiteful; his writing simply reflected the heart of a man passionate about Christ and his cause. He was trying to set right the misgivings concerning Christendom and reverse the moral decadence the world is fast slipping into.

I loved how Brant enriched the book by leveraging wisdom from the Bible. These scriptural references served to illuminate his answers to the challenging issues he was trying to address. But what I loved most about this book was that the author also included excerpts and quotes from reliable sources and notable people, many of whom are hardcore atheists and religious critics. This made him seem like someone who'd be willing to sit across from a nonreligious person and have an honest conversation. I consider James R. Brant to be very versatile and knowledgeable in both scientific and scriptural concepts. His depth of knowledge concerning these concepts was on full display in this book. When it came to history, he knew his onions and backed his responses to arguments with verifiable facts and data.

While I see this book's content as invaluable, I didn't like that the author was brash in his approach. At times, the book read like he was calling out some of the big names in atheism today, and I didn't appreciate that. As I stated above, I do not think the author was trying to be spiteful, but I can imagine that there are people who would see it as such. I believe he may have gotten carried away by his passion for the subject matter and forgot to apply a little subtlety and grace in his writing. He was honest and uncompromising in his message—and I'm all for that being a Christian myself—but I'm afraid that his approach may put off some of the people his message was meant to reach. This was the biggest letdown in this book for me. Also, I sensed that the author was straddling the fence a little on the issue of women's equality. There wasn't a clear distinction between the concepts of women's submission and women's subjection in his writing. I would have loved more clarity on this issue.

Setting the Record Straight was well written and impeccably edited. I could barely find errors while reading. The author's command of the English language was apparent, and he used it to great effect to make his writing clear and concise. I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. The professional editing, the clarity of Brant's writing, the depth of research he did, and the truth of his message undoubtedly qualify this book for a full rating. However, I can't help but concede that the lack of grace and subtlety in his writing may be counterproductive to his objective for penning the book in the first place. I would recommend this book to Christians who are having doubts, Christians looking for a way to articulate their faith to others, and nonreligious people who are curious about the Christian faith.

https://www.xulonpress.com/bookstore/bo ... 1629524900

Setting the Record Straight
View: on Bookshelves

Sunday diamond
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunday-diamond.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Sunday diamond »

In fact i really need this book because sincerly i'll need to articulate christian faith to other religion who r pasionate about it. welldone on ur review

MsH2k
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading: The Twelve Months of the Year in 850 Languages and Dialects
Bookshelf Size: 158
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Nettie boo by Judy Brown

Post by MsH2k »

Your recommendation reminds me of Apostle Paul’s instruction for our conversation to be full of grace and seasoned with salt.
Thank you for your thoughtful review!
"Choose your heroes wisely."
Last Words From Above (Jeremy Brown)

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”