Official Review: The Uphill River by Bruce R. Kelly M.D.

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sam Ibeh
2019 Reading Goal: 30
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 100
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sam-ibeh.html
Latest Review: So Now You're a Widow by Bonnie Merryfield

Official Review: The Uphill River by Bruce R. Kelly M.D.

Post by Sam Ibeh »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Uphill River" by Bruce R. Kelly M.D..]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Who plans our lives? Are there factors that guide our choices, or do we leave everything to chance? These are some of the questions that come to mind as you read The Uphill River by Bruce R. Kelly.

This book was a moving, engaging account of the author's journey in the medical world. He recounted the factors that influenced his career choice, the process it took him, the rigors and hurdles involved, and his eventual retirement. He gave an insight into the challenges doctors face daily. Dealing with problems at work, at home, and in their social lives would take a toll on anybody, and it would require a great deal of commitment to be successful in it. He also shared the rewarding aspects of his work — the things that made it worthwhile.

The Uphill River is an inspiring book and drives home the fact that difficult things can happen to anybody at any time. However, our response to them makes all the difference. A happy life is not entirely problem-free; happiness comes when we decide to make the best of our situations and give our best at whatever we do.

I liked how this book flowed. The author employed wit and humor in his writing, which made it enjoyable to read. There were no exciting moments, and the story would have been bland and straightforward. However, the author's delivery gave life to the narrative. His natural attitude seemed to have been translated onto the pages — showing off a positive and upbeat demeanor that gave hope to seemingly difficult situations. This was what I liked most about the book.

There were many things to learn from this book. Working under difficult and uncertain conditions, adapting to change, handling opposition and antagonism, learning under pressure, and putting other people's needs first were all values I picked up from this book. It was refreshing to read about someone willing to work extra hard to fulfill his dreams and take care of his family.

Since this book focused more on the author's medical career, it contained tons of references to medical conditions, procedures, and scenarios. The author used language that would be difficult for anyone who is not medically inclined to understand. I found some of the terms and concepts challenging to follow and had to look them up. Though he tried to explain some terminologies, the majority of the book went right over my head, and I had to focus on the lessons the book contained to gain something from it. This was what I disliked about the book. It was an issue for me because contemporary writers would find ways to communicate their thoughts to a layperson — even if it was a niche-specific narrative.

This book provided a valuable reading experience for me, as someone who would love to know a bit of the medical world. It had a plethora of grammatical errors. Hence, I reckon it would benefit from another round of professional editing. Therefore, I'd rate it 3 out of 4 stars and recommend it to anyone looking to read about determination and hard work. People interested in getting insights into how the medical world works would also benefit from this book.

The Uphill River
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”