Official Review: Piercing the Cloud: Encountering the Rea...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Eutoc
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eutoc.html
Latest Review: Murdering the macho managers by Ben reuben

Official Review: Piercing the Cloud: Encountering the Rea...

Post by Eutoc »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Piercing the Cloud: Encountering the Real Me" by Jaime A. Pineda.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

At some point in our lives, we must have questioned the purpose of our existence, why the things that happen around us happen the way that they do and if there’s a mystical force guiding us. These were the sorts of questions Jaime A. Pineda tried to answer in his life review Piercing the Cloud: Encountering the Real Me. If you have ever had such existential questions, then this book deserves to be added to your bookshelf.

Jaime sets to adapt to life in the United States after leaving his birthplace in Honduras in search of a better education. He was one who had a heightened level of curiosity about things happening around him. Questioning the human mind-brain coalition wasn’t out of the picture. After years of dabbling in different fields like computer science, poetry, cognitive science and psychology, the author had been exposed to different perspectives of viewing life. With the wealth of experience Jaime Pineda has garnered, he is convinced that he has discovered and separated his true self from his virtual self. Does this entail that he has gotten the answers to all his inquiries?

Arguably, no one could have written a life review better than an academic with over six decades of living. What I liked the most about this piece was the vast and profound nature of the lessons conveyed. For one, I enjoyed the guide to self-realization presented in the form of attaining a scarcity mind and a fulfilled mind. The scarcity mind indulges one to be more curious and open than ever. However, the fulfilled mind complements this by enabling one to have a certain level of complacency in oneself.

While this book was stunning and compelling to read, some of the reminiscences played little to no role in advancing the theme of the story. The extent of the description used was laudable up until the point where postdoctoral theses were being discussed. Only one of the research works carried out had a practical explanation attached to it. I found it difficult to consume the plethora of neuroscience jargon in the text, which inadvertently slowed down my pace. I encountered only a few grammatical errors. I believe another round of proofreading would clear it off.

I rate Piercing the Cloud: Encountering the Real Me 3 out of 4 stars. I removed one star because of the remarks made in the previous paragraph. There isn’t any instance of profanity or sexual content in the book. I would recommend this life review to people with relentless curiosity, especially those who feel that there’s more to life than just the body.

Piercing the Cloud: Encountering the Real Me
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Luluwa79
Currently Reading: Divided World
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-luluwa79.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by Luluwa79 »

Thanks to the author, we learned ways of discovering ourselves.
Thanks for the insightful review.
Always seek God in all your dealings and He will help you find the right path.

RHD
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rhd.html
Latest Review: The Sins of a Master Race by Matthew Tysz

Post by RHD »

Well, seems like there's a lot to learn from this one. It's unfortunate there was a bit much jargon. Thanks for your honest review 👍

Faithy_Star
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faithy-star.html
Latest Review: How to write your own check by Kelly Patrick Riggs

Post by Faithy_Star »

I've been in situations where I've questioned myself. Clearly, this book seeks to educate. Great review!

Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: Create the Life You Want by Raymond P. Gerson

Post by Ellylion »

I guess it's a profound read for those who want to explore their own mind and soul :) Thanks for a great review!

sanjus
2019 Reading Goal: 21
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 100
2018 Reading Goal: 25
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 56
Currently Reading: Charles' Story
Bookshelf Size: 375
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanjus.html
Latest Review: The Roving Mind: A Modern Approach to Cognitive Enhancement by Anthony Simola
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by sanjus »

This book seems to answers some of the questions like our purpose of life and also the different guiding forces around us. Thanks for your insightful review.
life is only knowing the unknown, we can do this by reading books easily- I believe this is my own quote. If someone quoted this before I am glad to know.

Saint Bruno
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saint-bruno.html
Latest Review: Birth of a Unicorn by Heather Wilde
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Saint Bruno »

I think this author's life is very relatable. I must commend him for sharing his experiences with us. Thanks for this awesome review.

Eutoc
Currently Reading:

Post by Eutoc »

Luluwa79 wrote:
16 Nov 2020, 03:45
Thanks to the author, we learned ways of discovering ourselves.
Thanks for the insightful review.
Most especially, thanks to you for your kind comments.
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Eutoc
Currently Reading:

Post by Eutoc »

RHD wrote:
16 Nov 2020, 07:08
Well, seems like there's a lot to learn from this one. It's unfortunate there was a bit much jargon. Thanks for your honest review 👍
Truly, I learnt a lot from this piece. The jargon wasn't so distracting; one would still enjoy the book.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Eutoc
Currently Reading:

Post by Eutoc »

Faithy_Star wrote:
16 Nov 2020, 07:21
I've been in situations where I've questioned myself. Clearly, this book seeks to educate. Great review!
In case if you end up reading the book or a similar book I'd like to know if it answered some of your questions.
Thanks for commenting.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Eutoc
Currently Reading:

Post by Eutoc »

Ellylion wrote:
16 Nov 2020, 16:13
I guess it's a profound read for those who want to explore their own mind and soul :) Thanks for a great review!
Thanks Ellylion for stopping by.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Eutoc
Currently Reading:

Post by Eutoc »

sanjus wrote:
16 Nov 2020, 21:59
This book seems to answers some of the questions like our purpose of life and also the different guiding forces around us. Thanks for your insightful review.
The author explicitly answered some of these questions at the end of the book. It was engaging.
Thanks for commenting.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Eutoc
Currently Reading:

Post by Eutoc »

Saint Bruno wrote:
17 Nov 2020, 00:52
I think this author's life is very relatable. I must commend him for sharing his experiences with us. Thanks for this awesome review.
Thanks for your kind words Bruno.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

kdstrack
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 125
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 106
Currently Reading: Call of the Couch
Bookshelf Size: 450
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: Victoria's War by Catherine A. Hamilton

Post by kdstrack »

This author presents some concepts I have not heard of before. The idea of separating your true self from your spiritual self is intriguing. You have also made me curious about the scarcity vs. the fulfilled mind. I suspect the neuroscience jargon would slow me down, too! Thanks for your insightful and honest review!

diana lowery
Previous Member of the Month
2019 Reading Goal: 40
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 60
Currently Reading: Lord of the Flies
Bookshelf Size: 189
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-diana-lowery.html
Latest Review: Honest Endings by Katherine Cullen
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by diana lowery »

"Discussions of postdoctoral theses" sounds like too much heavy reading for me. I enjoyed your review.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”