Official Review: Random Summer Storms by Denise Ann Stock

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
bruin
2017 Reading Goal: 20
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 30
Currently Reading: Cracking the Genome
Bookshelf Size: 206
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bruin.html
Latest Review: I Said to Myself... by Juan A. Garcia

Official Review: Random Summer Storms by Denise Ann Stock

Post by bruin »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Random Summer Storms" by Denise Ann Stock.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Random Summer Storms by Denise Ann Stock is the third book in a fiction series. In the 1970s, Ian and Dee Conner met in the surf community of Huntington Beach, California. They fell in love and had fun taking risks, experimenting with sex and drugs. In the ‘80s, they started partying with criminals and got involved with a cartel who was trafficking drugs into Southern California. A dangerous situation forced them to flee from their hometown and start a new life in Florida. Years would go by without any of their friends or family knowing what criminal activity they got away with. Ian became a successful surgeon, and Dee became a producer of a television morning show. They created a peaceful life together and lived on an impressive beachfront property. They kept their dangerous past a deep dark secret and raised three beautiful children. Everything seemed perfect. They never suspected that their children would grow up in an affluent community and still face the same predicaments from their unruly past. Was this karma for what they got away with back in California?

I rate this book a 4 out of 4 because I could not put it down. I was drawn into the five members of the Conner family and wanted to learn more about their lives. What I liked most about this book is Stock’s writing style; it is very engaging, similar to a script of a successful drama series on television. She is funny and raw with emotions. There were moments when I had tears in my eyes reading through the struggles that the Conners faced. Dee’s character uncovers the range of emotions that parents endure raising their children. She wants to protect her teen daughters from bad relationships, and her college son from hanging out with the wrong crowd. Working mothers can relate to how Dee struggles with juggling a successful career and being more available for her family.

Ian is a busy surgeon, but still has a close relationship with his children. He would do anything for them, even if it meant putting his life on the line to protect them. It took an unexpected tragedy for the Conners to appreciate every moment that they had together as if it were their last.

It was comforting to read that families share similar parenting struggles, regardless of our backgrounds or financial security. This book is well-written and professionally edited, with only a few grammatical errors. This did not interfere with the flow of the book. I was happy to find out that there were more books in this series, and I am looking forward to reading about Dee and Ian’s life before becoming parents.

There was nothing that I disliked most about this book. It is so well-written that I assumed it was a true story. The author mentions specific details of the cities she writes about and talks about well-known musicians who her kids hung out with. My only disappointment was that I did not read the other two books in this series first. I recommend this book to readers who enjoy reading family dramas. I do not recommend this book to readers who do not enjoy reading about drugs, partying, guns, and physical violence. I think these graphic details made the story interesting because I wanted to keep reading about how an affluent family gets involved in dangerous criminal activity. I also do not recommend this book to readers who are not comfortable with profanity, which is used in some of the dialogue.

Random Summer Storms
View: on Bookshelves

Nqobile771
Favorite Book: Happy Healing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nqobile771.html
Latest Review: Hollowed by Annamarie Ibrahim

Post by Nqobile771 »

I am glad the couple changed their ways. Sadly, karma has a long memory! The book sounds really interesting. Great review.
Documented history is a gift from the past to the future! - NqobileM

Luluwa79
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-luluwa79.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by Luluwa79 »

people say "karma is a bitch".I would liken the case of Dee and Ian to- What goes around comes around.
Thanks for the insightful review.
Always seek God in all your dealings and He will help you find the right path.

RHD
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rhd.html
Latest Review: The Sins of a Master Race by Matthew Tysz

Post by RHD »

This one seems captivating. Everything seems to come back around. Thanks for such an insightful review 👌

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”