Official Review: The Desire Factor by Christy Whitman

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
shannonkate8
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 112
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shannonkate8.html
Latest Review: Kitty Squeak's Ordeal by Donna Pithers

Official Review: The Desire Factor by Christy Whitman

Post by shannonkate8 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Desire Factor" by Christy Whitman.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I have to say that I was initially drawn to The Desire Factor: How to Embrace Your Materialistic Nature to Reclaim Your Full Spiritual Power by Christy Whitman due to the brightness of the cover. Of course, everyone says to not judge a book by its cover, but this, combined with the book belonging to the self-help field, made me want to pick this up and dive in.

The book has seven actual chapters, each diving deep into a specific "universal principle" - alignment, focus, joyful expectancy, having, loving, surrender, and action. The book also has a conclusion and resource page for those who are interested in learning more about the subject. The chapters, however, are made to build on one another. For instance, the first chapter discusses your alignment with your heart, mind, and energy. When you learn about proper alignment, you can move on to focus. This alignment within yourself and nature can help achieve better focus. This can also be related to the author's idea that we have to build on ourselves. For example, we can work on our wisdom or focus to become better people and grow. While the author does focus on these specifics, the general theme of the book is to achieve greater self-recognition. By this, I mean that the author walks readers through these principles to become more in touch with ourselves, our desires, and our energies. The author acknowledges that we often judge desire as bad and don't always go after our true desires. Despite this, Christy Whitman wishes to awaken your potential and unleash your desires.

This book was remarkably well-executed. I found no errors while I was reading, indicating to me that this was likely professionally edited. I have to applaud the editorial team and the author for this great work. While this may be one of my favorite things about the book, I also loved the step-by-step instructions and exercises to help readers work through each concept. The author also references her activity guide and guided meditation for additional work in these areas. I realize that this is self-promotion, which I generally don't like, however, I was really interested in seeing what more the author had to offer.

While the book does have spiritual aspects, I don't believe this should turn you away. In fact, the author tries to include information relating to all religions. I assume this is in the hope to show that these topics can apply to everyone. She did well with it, in my opinion, and this should not be the reason you skip this book. The goal is more focused on readers' learning about their spiritual self and how spiritual principles can apply to you.

If I had to pick something I liked least, it might be that the book was a little dense. I could not read it in one sitting. I suppose this could be positive or negative for some people. Some individuals like something you can pick up, read a section, and put away. For instance, you could take this to the doctor with you, read a part, and not get so immersed that you miss your name being called. On the other hand, I like spending my time reading. An afternoon with a blanket and a good book is always ideal for me, which I couldn't do with this book. For me, it may have been because everything was built on the topic before it. It made the book almost repetitious.

Overall, I have to give this book 3 out of 4 stars. This takes into consideration the above, the lack of grammatical errors, and my general enjoyment of the book. If I could give it 3.5 stars, I would. However, I deducted a star because, while I enjoyed the book, it is likely not something I will pick up again and re-read due to the above. This is a personal opinion and others may quite enjoy this book. I would still recommend this book to those who enjoy self-help literature.

The Desire Factor
View: on Bookshelves
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." -Aristotle

REIGN GODDESS
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reign-goddess.html
Latest Review: Alibi Island by SLMN

Post by REIGN GODDESS »

Greater self-recognition is an essential element in achieving true self awareness. This is a candid and well-written review. Thank you.
我是赢家
Latest Review: Alibi Island by SLMN

evabernalte
Currently Reading: The Narrow Gate
Bookshelf Size: 43

Post by evabernalte »

The book shows us the desire of the heart and the different factors in life.teach us being emotionally and spiritually stable to become a better person.reader like me well not hesitate to buy a book that have a content like this.a very useful one

Stephanie Elizabeth
2019 Reading Goal: 40
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 140
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: You, Me and Destiny by J.F McLoughlin

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

I like how you mentioned that you didn't have to submit to a certain religion to enjoy this book. This sounds very inspirational and informative; thank you for also pointing out that this is not the type of book you can devour in one sitting. Kudos for the wonderful review!

Bookworm101520
Currently Reading: Dead Mountain
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookworm101520.html
Latest Review: Crooked Creek: A Comedy about Writer's Block and a Neurotic Home Owners Association by Fredrick Robertson

Post by Bookworm101520 »

I may have clicked on this review because of the cover also! I think the organization of this book sounds fascinated, and your summary of it was great. Thanks for a thorough review.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”