Official Review: Listening to their Voices: by Jan Hawkins

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
gabrielletiemi
Currently Reading: História do Cerco de Lisboa
Bookshelf Size: 181
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabrielletiemi.html
Latest Review: Deep Conviction by Shane Flemens

Official Review: Listening to their Voices: by Jan Hawkins

Post by gabrielletiemi »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Listening to their Voices:" by Jan Hawkins.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Listening to their Voices by Jan Hawkins is a non-fiction book about autism spectrum disorder (ASD), how it influences people directly or indirectly, and the importance of the person-centered approach. The author brings interviews with people affected by the condition, their families, and their supporters to help the reader understand the difficulties, mental distresses, but also the joys of living with ASD. The focus of this book is not the disorder itself or its therapeutic aspects since the author chose to show a different perspective of how the people with ASD feel about society, their inner individual, and what they think about neuro-typical people.

This writing brings the fact that each person should receive appropriate care according to his or her plans, which is the person-centered approach. Therefore, Hawkins shows that it’s fundamental to have empathy and acceptance when taking care of someone with ASD since some of them might have behaviors that are interpreted as displeasing or rude.

My favorite parts of this book were the interview chapters with people affected by ASD and the relatives close to them because I was able to understand better how ASD influences the people’s perspective about the life outside their minds. For example, I comprehended that they might feel a lot of different sentiments at the same time, which can make relationships and conversations frustrating and confusing. I also found it fascinating how the ASD includes various characteristics since some people had more difficulties with language and communication than others. However, they also have similar aspects since most of them were loyal and developed strong bonds with their relatives.

There was nothing to dislike in this book. I found a few errors and typos, but it didn’t interrupt my reading, and I’m not going to lower my rating since the writing seems professionally edited. Hawkins wrote an informative, outstanding book that approaches the autism spectrum disorder with a new perspective, and it’s clear that the author did extensive research about the topic.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. It is a fascinating piece about ASD, person-centered planning, caregivers’ concerns and thoughts, and the viewpoint of people affected by the condition. I recommend it to readers who are affected by ASD or who know someone with ASD since this volume shows various panoramas about the disorder and the person-centered approach. I also recommend it to people who want to learn more about those aspects since it’s an enlightening book. However, I don’t recommend it to readers who aren’t interested in non-fiction books since the focus of this book might not appeal to them.

Listening to their Voices:
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

AtienoMagero
Currently Reading: The Arrow That Flies By Day
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by AtienoMagero »

Lovely review! This book contains so much information on ASD. It's definitely going to be helpful for many people

Bookworm101520
Currently Reading: Dead Mountain
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookworm101520.html
Latest Review: Crooked Creek: A Comedy about Writer's Block and a Neurotic Home Owners Association by Fredrick Robertson

Post by Bookworm101520 »

What a relevant book for today! I would be very interested to read the interview portions. Thank you for a great review.

Tayejim1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tayejim1.html
Latest Review: Manning Up:(PoesyEssays Of Women's Interest) by Mr.Bigmann Grier

Post by Tayejim1 »

ASD is a condition that I know so little about. Thanks for shedding light on this book.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”